hire plumber or let condo corp do it?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 10:25 am
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
232 posts
62 upvotes

hire plumber or let condo corp do it?

ok, so my bro in law's bathroom is causing a leak on the unit below; condo corp says either hire your own plumber or they will do it based on a bidding system (2 bids I believe)

should he let them hire one? he nor I know any plumbers, so wonder what is the best choice?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2912 posts
1616 upvotes
Ottawa
Why would you let condo corp do it? Don;t you want to control what they do and how they do it? I don't see any upside to that approach.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
232 posts
62 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote: Why would you let condo corp do it? Don;t you want to control what they do and how they do it? I don't see any upside to that approach.
eh...well I guess cause plumbers can rip you off and the condo Corp may have struck a deal with the company ....but just checking
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2912 posts
1616 upvotes
Ottawa
joyceetal wrote: eh...well I guess cause plumbers can rip you off and the condo Corp may have struck a deal with the company ....but just checking
You can also get quotes. It sounds like the Condo Corp is saying do it or we will. As a threat essentially. If it's not like that maybe they do have a better access to a good price. Especially if the same problem has happened elsewhere.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12897 posts
9736 upvotes
Edmonton
joyceetal wrote: eh...well I guess cause plumbers can rip you off and the condo Corp may have struck a deal with the company ....but just checking
The condo board has no real incentive to try to save any money, and whatever plumber they select likely knows it.

Having said that... If you use their plumber and something goes wrong after (i.e. more water damage), they can't really come back to you and complain about it.

I would probably still get my own.

C