• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2021 9:36 am
[OP]
Aug 2, 2003
491 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto

Hiring an electrician

I have gutted a townhouse down to the studs and there is existing electrical wiring throughout the house.

During renovation we wish to put potlights in the basement and parts of the main floor. Along with some additional lighting in each of the upstairs bathrooms, and more electrical sockets in the bathrooms.

Is it normal for an electrician to charge a per sq ft rate for the entire house + charge per potlights.

ex. basement sq ft is 600 x $3.50 + $75 per pot light. ( 14 pot lights ) = $2100

Just trying to get an idea if I need another quote.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3440 posts
2218 upvotes
Mississauga
Potlights installers charge by number of lights pkus may be a little fixed cost, not by sq footage of house.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
Frank wrote: Is it normal for an electrician to charge a per sq ft rate for the entire house + charge per potlights.

ex. basement sq ft is 600 x $3.50 + $75 per pot light. ( 14 pot lights ) = $2100

Just trying to get an idea if I need another quote.
So a couple things, no this is not normal, and also this math doesn't add up. This said, perhaps your LEC has found a way to bill out for outlets and circuits based on house squarefootage.

Again, we don't know the scope of work so its hard to comment on the price.

In my experience adding a new circuit is probably around $200 base fee. If they are going to have to fish it through a long run its probably more + maybe restoration costs.

Pot lights are around $70 and up, and then out outlets and what not can be as low as $50 per if its easy enough access.

Anyways, get another quote or two, see what it comes back as based on your scope, and see if this guys persqft pricing is reasonable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)