Careers

hiring manager asking for work reference for a post that does not require work experience

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2020 6:15 pm
[OP]
Mar 1, 2018
7 posts
4 upvotes

hiring manager asking for work reference for a post that does not require work experience

Hi. Sorry if this question has been asked before. I am in a dilemma and could really use some advice.

I applied to a CRA job that does not require work experience. Today I received a letter inviting me to a phone interview. It asks me to provide my phone number and the phone number of my employer who can validate my work experience. It strikes me as odd because if the job does not require work experience then why do they ask for my employer's phone number?

Can I not provide this information? Should I explain to them that my employer does not know I am job searching? Will they actual call if I give them the number?

Thank you
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2017
1034 posts
807 upvotes
They want to vet you. Its a character reference.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11759 posts
4058 upvotes
Toronto
OP, a job doesn't require job experience doesn't mean that they cannot ask for reference.
It is very normal for the hiring manager or employer to ask for a reference before hiring a candidate. They simply want to know if you are a good person, a good employee that someone would recommend,

You DO NOT have to provide the manager contact of your current job, you can ask for the one from your old jobs. You can provide reference for someone that worked with you (not necessary a manager or supervisor) but work there for long time, etc. Even volunteer is an experience, it is not a job but it shows if someone will command you to your next job.

Yes, they would call your reference and ask questions like do you know "mojo", how long you work together? Is he a nice person? Do you have any problems or anything to say when working with "mojo"? Do you recommend to others for his next job?

You can choose not to give reference, but they have all their right to hire another candidate than you.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12342 posts
8767 upvotes
Edmonton
mojoakasaikei wrote: Hi. Sorry if this question has been asked before. I am in a dilemma and could really use some advice.

I applied to a CRA job that does not require work experience. Today I received a letter inviting me to a phone interview. It asks me to provide my phone number and the phone number of my employer who can validate my work experience. It strikes me as odd because if the job does not require work experience then why do they ask for my employer's phone number?

Can I not provide this information? Should I explain to them that my employer does not know I am job searching? Will they actual call if I give them the number?

Thank you
They may not REQUIRE you to have direct job experience, but that doesn't mean they don't want to talk to your references. And keep in mind that it might be your right to refuse to provide a reference, but it's also their right to decline interviewing you, much less offer you a job.

As far as your employer not knowing you're looking, that's a very common circumstance. Do you have a previous employer that can offer a reference? But yes, if you provide a phone number and you're one of the top candidates, they very well may call your references. That's kind of the point.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7229 posts
1838 upvotes
Toronto
Op's in other word, pick your poison, submit or give a reference or bye bye to the intereview. Its not easy to get invited by CRA for a job opportunity.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1310 posts
753 upvotes
OP just provide a past employer, and explain to them your current work doesn't know you're looking for a job. They should understand, and/or offer to them that you'll give your current job reference if they're providing you an offer pending this reference check (ie if its a bad check you dont get the job)
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone