• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2020 9:08 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2011
979 posts
511 upvotes
Midland

Hiring Security

My security cameras lately have had people roaming around my property at all hours of the day and it is not the same person. I had my garage window smashed and others in the neighbourhood. Police wont do anything and the alarm system is pointless as police don't rush over.

Would it be crazy to ask the people from my cul de sac if they would be interested in hiring a guard with a vehicle that clearly says security on it? Not even sure what the costs would be for that, there is 10 houses on the road entrance.

Honestly, having just a vehicle sitting at the entrance would probably suffice, not sure how a criminal thinks though.

Note: this is a lately thing.
17 replies
Sep 4, 2006
946 posts
574 upvotes
Ottawa
Get some big SECURITY stickers cut at a local vinyl place, put them on a vehicle, park it somewhere visible?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35548 posts
21607 upvotes
Center of Universe
Make your presence more prevalent by going outdoors more frequently.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7414 posts
989 upvotes
Ottawa
Energie11 wrote: My security cameras lately have had people roaming around my property at all hours of the day and it is not the same person. I had my garage window smashed and others in the neighbourhood. Police wont do anything and the alarm system is pointless as police don't rush over.

Would it be crazy to ask the people from my cul de sac if they would be interested in hiring a guard with a vehicle that clearly says security on it? Not even sure what the costs would be for that, there is 10 houses on the road entrance.

Honestly, having just a vehicle sitting at the entrance would probably suffice, not sure how a criminal thinks though.

A criminal is going to drive by, see the security guard asleep or playing on his phone, and know he has nothing to worry about.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5171 posts
2592 upvotes
Beware of Dog signs are a good cheap security measure
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
Unfortunately nothing you can do under Canadian self defense act. Criminals love Canada.

If you go out to confront the bad guy, you risk being hurt.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1118 posts
487 upvotes
York Region
Buy an old crown vic police car and park it at the entrance of the cul-de-sac.
Sep 4, 2006
946 posts
574 upvotes
Ottawa
^^THAT, combined with my stickers, is a great idea! A beat up Crown Vic will cost a LOT less than long term security. No need to even license and insure it...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
You can have a combination of motion senor lights, dogs, signs, cameras, etc.
But as I mentioned above, never confront the criminals because you will put yourself in a dangerous situation.
Feb 16, 2020
54 posts
16 upvotes
Windsor
At $250 to $300 per days darken hours and if all 10 go for your deal, every 10 days each will shell out $300. I would not go into that deal with ya, sorry. Also as mentioned above, be careful if you want to play hero as here in Canada the only thing you can do to a person breaking in to to use one finger and that is to dial 911. You might get around this by letting the dirt bag hit you first and then you better not use to much force to stop the attack. Cross Dog is a perfect case to be sued as you put in writing that you knew your dog was cross ! Better locks / stronger doors / windows / etc is the Canadian's only defense. If you want to put up a sign, put one saying the guy next door just got a new big screen, lol.
Good Luck.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4045 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Have you looked into crime prevention through environmental design, or CPTED?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Have you looked into crime prevention through environmental design, or CPTED?
Never heard of them but interesting.
I am not sure what advice they are offering? The only thing I can find on their webpage is selling their membership and certifications.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
1sammy1 wrote: Also as mentioned above, be careful if you want to play hero as here in Canada the only thing you can do to a person breaking in to to use one finger and that is to dial 911. You might get around this by letting the dirt bag hit you first and then you better not use to much force to stop the attack. Cross Dog is a perfect case to be sued as you put in writing that you knew your dog was cross ! Better locks / stronger doors / windows / etc is the Canadian's only defense. If you want to put up a sign, put one saying the guy next door just got a new big screen, lol.
Good Luck.
It is very true. Reasonable force under reasonable circumstance is always a gray area...thanks to the Canadian Law.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3940 posts
3398 upvotes
Energie11 wrote: My security cameras lately have had people roaming around my property at all hours of the day and it is not the same person. I had my garage window smashed and others in the neighbourhood. Police wont do anything and the alarm system is pointless as police don't rush over.

You would probably have more luck creating a Neighbourhood Watch than actually hiring a guard. A guard with a vehicle is going to cost a lot for 24 hour service and you will ahve to address the issue of liability should the guard do something that results in a lawsuit.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
I always prefer security cameras over security guards.
Cameras are more reliable than guards. Some systems will give you instant alert on your phones / devices if it detects motion. Then you can call police accordingly.
A security guard, if he isn't sleeping, would run away first, then calls the cops.
At the end cameras are more reliable.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4045 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
I used to own a security company until I sold it in 2018. I would not advise you to hire a security guard since it will burn a hold in your wallet every fast.

CPTED is crime reduction through the design of your home. It's a psychological deterrent. Let me show you a pamphlet of what it's all about.
Images
  • 2018-12-CurbAppeal.jpg