• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 5:01 pm
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
190 posts
21 upvotes

HIRING someone to do your work, without your boss knowing

Hi,

sorry, in advance, if this is a bad question.

while I was lying in bed I had an idea:

What if I got I applied to a controller position, and since I do not feel overly confident, hire someone off freelancer.com to do the work for me ( or at least assist me ) while I figure things out?

neither freelancer nor employer will know.

As an employer, how would you react?
Thinking Face

What would some of the issues, challenges be?

thanks Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
12 replies
Oct 5, 2016
228 posts
114 upvotes
Confidentiality??
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8454 posts
5428 upvotes
Global Village
Being sued for fraud and potentially torpedoing any future career prospects??
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1383 posts
1415 upvotes
ON
Getbread wrote: Hi,

Ideas that we get while lying in bed are never great! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
Worst. Idea. Ever. for a position like Controller

1. Confidential information to third party
2. IT security breach if someone else accessing
3. Incompetance, if you can't do the job why do you have the job
4. Let's say you make $75k now as a senior accountant and controller pays $100k but you need to pay $30k to the freelancer to do the work, what are you gaining? A corner seat at the office? Why not spend the effort and money to improve your own skills. What if freelancer leaves part way, what if freelancer does a terrible job, what are you going to tell your CFO? Oh I didn't do it, this freelancer did that part.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: What if freelancer leaves part way, what if freelancer does a terrible job, what are you going to tell your CFO? Oh I didn't do it, this freelancer did that part.
As well as that, you wouldn't even know. As much as I wouldn't advise it, I can see a situation where someone who is good at a task hires someone else to do the task, so they can just review the work and spend the rest of the time on something else. Why would anyone hire someone to do something that you don't know how to do, but is part of your job and therefore you're going to put your name on it? You would just be blindly shoveling that work product up the chain, or using it to make decisions, without having a clue about whether it's good, bad or completely irrelevant. If there was someone competent enough to do that job, they would be doing that job, not getting a fraction of the pay on some piecework website. It just doesn't make any sense.

Seriously OP, you seem like an entrepreneural type person willing to think wildly outside the box and consider options no one else would. Standard accounting is probably the worst profession you could possibly choose to do that in. There is no way to 'hack' bookkeeping in a way that ends well for anyone.
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
190 posts
21 upvotes
So the freelancer can teach me how to do the work....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
Getbread wrote: So the freelancer can teach me how to do the work....
Why would they, at a price that makes sense to you? Contractors will cost much more than a full-time employee, per hour. In addition, shorter contracts generally cost more per hour than long-term contracts. If you want to hire an experienced controller as a consultant, don't forget they will only be willing to do that task for you if being a consultant makes more sense for them than being a full-time controller. If they could make $100k working full-time, they're probably going to charge you $1,000/day as a consultant. Maybe if it's just to teach you, but anything longer-term is probably not going to make any sense in dollars.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Getbread wrote: Hi,

What if I got I applied to a controller position, and since I do not feel overly confident, hire someone off freelancer.com to do the work for me ( or at least assist me ) while I figure things out?

neither freelancer nor employer will know.

Thinking Face

What would some of the issues, challenges be?

thanks Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
And what are you going to do when you get called into a meeting to go over the reports you submitted? Take a lot of potty breaks so you can call your freelancer to explain what the different numbers mean?

C
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
Getbread wrote:

Employer will fire you on spot and pursuit legal action if anything went wrong with the work and with client they work with. You are not suppose to share any work related info to a 3rd party without company's consent.

Wake up and work OP. Stop dreaming too much.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3007 upvotes
Getbread wrote: So the freelancer can teach me how to do the work....
If you really want to learn... Hire a teacher, instructor, or similar.
29445 posts
8937 upvotes
Toronto
op: this is a very bad idea for the reasons outlined by others.
Be kind and civil with one another