Boxing Day 2021 Discussion

Hisense 50R63G - $447.99 - Is this a good deal for bedroom tv?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2022 12:42 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2005
231 posts
6 upvotes

Hisense 50R63G - $447.99 - Is this a good deal for bedroom tv?

Hisense 50R63G - $447.99 @ costco.ca.
HISENSE 50R63G.JPG
Does anyone have this type of TV? It is so hard to find any reviews for this model at all. There is only one review at costco which is hard to take into account. Primarily be using with movie watching, youtube, netflix, disney+ and some ps4 gaming. All opinions are greatly appreciated.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8088 posts
5080 upvotes
Global Village
It's a new bottom of the barrel model, I would stay away from it until rtings reviews it.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Jul 9, 2007
542 posts
75 upvotes
Oakville
If you're not too picky about picture quality it should be fine, at least it's got Costco's return policy. I take delivery of the 58in tomorrow. It has Dolby hdr, for me it's a step up from the basic TCL 4k 65in I bought last year but again I'm not too picky, I can see the issues like corners brighter and what not. If the quality degrades in a couple of years I'll update.

If you're picky spend about 50% for a better brand
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1488 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto
We bought my Mom the 55R62G from Costco for Christmas and I was quite pleased with the picture out of the box. It has Roku as opposed to Android, and the specs of course don't measure up to the higher models, but again, was quite pleased with the picture quality. My Mom isn't picky at all and only watches HGTV, The Bachelor, Hallmark movies, etc. - we just wanted to get her a larger TV and this seems to have fit the bill perfectly for the price. It was $470-480 in-store so the extra warranty was only $29.99 as well since it was <$500.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3188 posts
1443 upvotes
Lethbridge
I have a 55R61 model - Was $300 on clearance from Costco literally right before the pandemic lockdowns (back when TV's actually went on sale, rofl). Price is a little steep for my blood, but there have been almost zero TV "sales" in the last year, so $450 isn't terrible.

Having said that, the R61 is the best budget set I've owned - Way better than my cheapo Toshiba & Sekei ones it has replaced. It has some noticeable backlight bleed, but no luckily no discernable dirty screen effect (it usually has hockey or sports on - Usually an issue with cheaper sets). I'm sure you've looked at prices, but you'll be paying easily $600+ for a more upscale model like their U68G or a similar budget TV from the Samsung/LG/Sony.
Jun 9, 2022
1 posts
I purchased a Hi-Sense 50R63G SMART TV. I just tried to install an app that I need (and just installed easily on a Samsung SMART TV). Was not able to. Spoke with Roku. Their definition of SMART TV does NOT include Web capability nor any other way to install an app not in their list. Spoke with Costco Concierge service - they are looking into the matter but are leaning towards accepting ROKU's amended version of Smart TV. :(