Hisense 55 & 65Q9G owners' discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2021 12:37 pm
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes

Hisense 55 & 65Q9G owners' discussion

I bought the Hisense 55Q9G at Costco, as did many others.
Support and discussions are difficult to find.
Maybe we can share observations and ways to improve the TV experience.

My observations of the 55Q9G:

1. The picture is indeed bright and the blacks quite dark.
My biggest problem are skin tones, with people have have "light brown" color skin show a yellowish/reddish tinge but that might be a broadcaster problem. Some faces look sunburned while others are OK.
2. The sound is not impressive. My TV sounds like an AM radio.
3. The OTA ATSC tuner is not good. I lost 4 channels that my 12 year old Samsung was able to show.
All sounds modes sound similar to me. Only the "music" setting has any bass.
4. Adjusting sound settings makes little difference. Even when I set all high frequencies to "1"
and the low frequencies to "8", there is still more treble than bass.
5. When sending sound out via headphones (or using an audio cable to external speakers)
I can't access the sound equalizer function in the TV settings.
6. Attaching bluetooth speakers creates lipsync problems that I can't solve.
7. Hisense does not like Mac users because exFat and APFS formatte drives are not read.
Fat32 and NTFS formatted drives are usable.
8. The Hisense media player does not read old AVI files.
9. Like most TVs, the USB ports are in awkward locations.
Make life easier by buying short USB extension cables.
10. The user interface and settings seem to have been made by three teams that did not talk to one another.

11. To enable the RemoteNow app on mobile phone, RemoteNow must be turned on in the settings. The crappy thing is that on the mobile RemoteNow app it tells you that "Anyview stream function" must be turned on but I could not find it anywhere
Settings -> Device Preferences -> Accessibility enable RemoteNow

RemoteNow app is installed on my android phone but does not connect with TV. TV needs "Anyview stream function" enabled but this might not be available on the 55Q9G, but it might on the 65Q9G.

Hisense customer service is crap.
I waited for 15 minutes then Hisense CS person connected with with Roku support even though my problem is not with Roku. I hung up and called back, waited about 13 minutes and call got disconnected. I called back and after about 15 minutes got disconnected. Called back and 12 minutes later Hisense Canada guy tells me that they do not recommend using any remote apps - even though the remote app is by Hisense itself.

Discovering things I do not like.

1. The volume control on the remote does not do continuous increase or decrease in volume if you hold down the volume up or volume down on the remote. Volume is controlled by individual clicks.

2. The TV is a power-pig sucking up 210 watts of power which is odd since
Samsung, LG and Sony 55" TVs use at most 160 watts
While this Hisense and TCL TVs use abou 210-220 watts

Resources
User Manual
Product support

RTings - Reviews
RTings - Calibration Settings
Tom's Guide review
Youtube Review 1 Review 2
Last edited by NikolaZrinski on Jan 3rd, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
- - - > Life is a waste of time.
28 replies
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
Question - Which soundbar do you recommend for Hisense 55Q9G that costs under $150?

I am now looking for a sound upgrade. The following is my criteria

1. Powered speakers
2. I do not need LOUD - just full rich sound with reasonable bass
3. I do not need a sub-woofer
4. Ideally, I would like to place TV on top of sound bar
5. Direct audio connection by cable and no need for bluetooth

A sound bar is better but small amplified speakers are OK.
At present I am using some crappy "Mint Raindrop" speakers

Update: I have added a Samsung s60t soundbar and thus
- the money I saved on the TV I spent on soundbar.
Last edited by NikolaZrinski on Jan 3rd, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12037 posts
5142 upvotes
I've had the 65 version of this TV since late summer, and it has been nothing but spectacular. I find the speakers quiet adequate and very loud. My TV is wall mounted, so not sure if that makes a difference for the sound "bouncing" and, like you said, the sound adjustments don't seem to make much of a difference. However, the ACR does, as it adjust itself to different content (ex gets damn loud for sports, but rather low for news content)
As far as PQ goes, you can spend a lot of time adjusting it, as there are many settings, and sub-settings, and it's all different for each source. The newest update implemented ALLM very well, and works great with the new Xbox Series X (no VRR support however). I am using one of the rear USB ports to power up a ambient LED strip from Walmart, and it does a great job. I find even the Google assistant integration to work pretty well. Wi-Fi work great, I get around 200Mbs at a reasonable distance from the router. HDR sources look amazing , like the XSX or DV from Netflix, this TV is one of the brightest on the market. I find even 720P videos to upscale very nicely on it.
Things that need improving:
This TV does not have great color accuracy out of the box, so spend time adjusting it ( RTINGS settings is a good start, but every panel/environment is different)
Motion handling is not the greatest on this set, but at least all post processing effects can be turned off.
There is a slight blur/ghosting with certain content under specific conditions, but I think that's due to this TV's high peak brightness and being a VA panel.
The built in mic sometimes picks up certain TV dialogues as Hey/OK Google, and can be annoying
Like any android device, it needs a full restart once in a while, when it gets laggy.

I am using the optical out connected to an older receiver and 5.1 speakers. Was considering a newer one that supports Atmos and ARC, but my old Yamaha still going strong via toslink.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8424 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
NikolaZrinski wrote: Question - Which soundbar do you recommend for Hisense 55Q9G that costs under $150?

I am now looking for a sound upgrade. The following is my criteria

1. Powered speakers
2. I do not need LOUD - just full rich sound with reasonable bass
3. I do not need a sub-woofer
4. Ideally, I would like to place TV on top of sound bar
5. Direct audio connection by cable and no need for bluetooth

A sound bar is better but small amplified speakers are OK.
At present I am using some crappy "Mint Raindrop" speakers
I had the Vizio 55" when we moved in in 2016 and it was hooked up to a cheap Sony HT System ... then in 2018 started to change the sound ... wanted something better.

Looked at the 65Q9G ... but it was $700 more than the Q8G ... yes a huge difference in colour but I couldn't justify paying that much more. Needed a 65" as the 55" was just a little too small ... ended up getting the Hisense 65Q8G from Visions for $929+taxes.

Now with the 65Q8G (changed this past July) ... and for sound , it is with a full Home Theatre System [Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.]

Doesn't matter what screen size you have ... having quality sound calibrated correctly will make everything more enjoyable.

When I was in the condo ... I had the Sony KDL-40XBR3 40" BRAVIA® XBR® 1080p LCD HDTV (from 2006) ... and it was plugged into a cheap Sony 5.1 600 Watts DAVTZ510 Home Theatre System DVD Player that I bought from Sears for $178 (taxes in) around 2011 Christmas. Ended up selling the TV for $230 (in 2016) and the Home Theatre system for $100 in 2018.

My parents had an LG 37" Flat LCD TV 1080i HDTV 37LC2D with the LG 5.1 DVD Home Theatre System w DVD Player LH-T9654MB 1000 Watts ... all bought in 2007 ... she downsized to a 700 sf condo in 2019 ... so ended up selling the TV and HT System for $90, respectively. She now has a 55" Sharp but she says she is fine with just the TV speakers.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Dec 2, 2017
66 posts
27 upvotes
This TV would be a best seller, but at 1000(55”)/1600(65”) is too expensive. In US the 65” is below 1250 Canadian. At that price they would sell a lot, still a decent difference from q7/q8.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12037 posts
5142 upvotes
NikolaZrinski wrote: Discovering things I do not like.

1. The volume control on the remote does not do continuous increase or decrease in volume if you hold down the volume up or volume down on the remote. Volume is controlled by individual clicks.

Works for me. Make sure you go into Settings>>Remote & Accessories>> Pair Smart TV Remote
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: Works for me. Make sure you go into Settings>>Remote & Accessories>> Pair Smart TV Remote
I am keeping it as an IR remote to extend battery life
I do not need bluetooth since I do not talk to my remotes
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12037 posts
5142 upvotes
NikolaZrinski wrote: I am keeping it as an IR remote to extend battery life
I do not need bluetooth since I do not talk to my remotes
While I recommend you do pair the remote with BT, I can confirm volume works OK in iR mode as well. I can just hold the button up or down and it will continuously increase/decrease no issues.
I just find the remote works a lot smoother and responsive in BT mode I also don't have to worry about pointing at the TV. After almost 5 months of use, I see the no name batteries still reporting at 86%
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
Is there a name for "bad orangish skin tone" ?
Maybe the "Fake tan effect" or better yet "Trump Effect"

A lot of programs from channel 29 (Fox from Buffalo) have people with skin discoloration.
The worst is people with tans or with light brown skin get extra orangish skin tones.

hisense customer support told me the following:
"I believe based on a previous email interaction you are using an OTA antenna rather than composite or HDMI connection to a cable box? HDMI connection provides much better resolution, speed and colour accuracy than the composite cables, which will be better than antenna – it doesn’t matter the quality or brand of your OTA antenna cable – as hardwire will always be able to pass along more accurate data than something that is using wifi or relies on the physics of electromagnetic wave propagation.

Digital TV broadcasters have a fixed bandwidth on their assigned frequency which they can allocate to multiple subchannels using different resolutions to save bandwidth and thereby offer more channels on the same frequency. There's nothing you can do if they are sending you FOX in low definition.

29 – Fox – Buffalo is an American 720p channel – when displayed via cable box. Due to the upscaling of the signal on your 4K QLED TV – plus the fact that it is a US station, both of those will impact the display on your TV. I could see a huge difference on my Rogers box when watching Canadian vs. US channels on my 18 year old Toshiba Tube TV prior to the one I am using now – and this was hardwired into a box. If you have a 720p or 1080p TV, it will actually likely display the image more realistically, because the TV has less work to do in terms of upscaling, downscaling or interpreting colour data. In addition, in terms of my knowledge of antennas – both digital and analog – many of them still transfer data via 360p/480i signal and very few of them are capable of upconverting that well on a 55”+ scale.

Though we cannot improve the quality of the signal or the programming, we can offer the best tips to help your TV display the 720p res content in the best picture quality possible. In terms of calibration, your primary adjustments should be your picture modes and advanced picture settings – but you may need to adjust this differently for both Canadian and US OTA channels. Unlike hardwired cable boxes, every digital signal emitted will be slightly different quality. Specifically, look at your colour temperature and hue adjustments.

In terms of calibration, our best recommendations (for built in app content – this will vary slightly for cable boxes – and we have very little control for OTA antenna channels) are from Rtings.com.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h9g/settings

We are unable to release calibration settings as a company because viewing TV content is a subjective experience and perfect settings to one person will reflect another being displeased so we typically refer to Rtings and then suggest eye ball slight modifications for best results.

If you are having trouble viewing other connected or built-in content, I can certainly have someone from our team examine your case – but if your issue lies solely with OTA content, we are limited in the assistance we can provide.

If you are seeking specific insight from someone who owns the TV, I recommend checking out Reddit or AVS Forum – as those folks are mostly TV owners and are incredible knowledgeable and tech savvy with a wide assortment of third party hardware being used with our models. Though our TVs go through rigorous testing, we can’t possibly test every possible product available on the market.

Please let me know if there are additional specific directives I can try to provide or further assistance and I will do my best to help.

If the TV does not meet your specific needs and you are still in your return period, it may be a consideration for you as I recall you were unhappy with the audio on your TV as well. "
How odd, Hisense telling me to get help from other users and third party sites
rather than the makers of the TV give me a solution.
Last edited by NikolaZrinski on Dec 22nd, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12037 posts
5142 upvotes
Well, you inadvertently put Trump and Fox in the same post, enough said ;-)
Anyway, these sets are notorious for having a redish tint ghosting effect to them.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
I've had this tv for around 4 months and it's the best I've ever had. Instead of judging it on lower rez channels, enjoy how wonderfully it displays 4K content.

By the way, I use the 'Theatre Night' setting in Picture Mode settings. That seems to give the most realistic rendering.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12037 posts
5142 upvotes
46jimbo wrote: I've had this tv for around 4 months and it's the best I've ever had. Instead of judging it on lower rez channels, enjoy how wonderfully it displays 4K content.

By the way, I use the 'Theatre Night' setting in Picture Mode settings. That seems to give the most realistic rendering.
Agree, unless your watching something in Dolby Vision, then you want to have it set to Bright.
Btw, you can set different settings for different sources, so not like you have to go back and forth out of the setting menu. And yes, it is an amazing TV, short of OLED.
Aug 21, 2012
107 posts
49 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have the 65 and would echo CFRTim’s experience/review.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12037 posts
5142 upvotes
180 for the 65-inch and 132 for the 55-inch.
By comparison, the X900H from Sony is at only 32 zones
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
I have read that an old PS3 remote can be made to work with the 55H9G.

I have tried to pair my remote, a v2 version with bluetooth and IR, but I can't pair it.
As I scan IR codes I can get the basics working such as On/OFF, Volume Up/Down, Channel Up/Down
but the circle pad does not work.

Can anyone share their success?
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12037 posts
5142 upvotes
Demon_Twinz wrote: any reliability issues with you us? Is the 65 inch more dim zone? i think55 is good for my budget and space . I want to use it as a computer monitor
I happen to have an old PS3 remote around, so I would let you know as soon as I find it and try it out. But why would you want that? The original Hisense one, does both iR and BT. I wish the Harmony 650 that is on sale right now for $50, could do that, I would have considered buying it.
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
One more problem.
At the start, when I clicked on an app icon it would open automatically
then, for an unknown reason, it started asking to confirm opening the app
How can I go back to one click on app and it opens right away?

Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12037 posts
5142 upvotes
Sounds like you have enabled something under the Accessibility options, and Android TV homescreen will treat a single-press as a long-press.
Also, I couldn't get the PS3 BD Bluetooth remote to work with the TV, I can see it, but won't allow me to pair, as the usual PIN codes don't work
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
606 posts
496 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: Sounds like you have enabled something under the Accessibility options
Nothing in accessibility that I can find.

Here is a calibration video, very long but it shows the quality of the TV

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)