Automotive

Locked: Hit a curb and now my car is all messed up. Will the dealership cover? (2019 CX5)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 3:24 pm
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
151 posts
48 upvotes

Hit a curb and now my car is all messed up. Will the dealership cover? (2019 CX5)

Hey guys, I have a leased 2019 CX5 and I hit a curb yesterday. Now the wheel alignment is messed up and various sensors/breaking system etc warnings are showing up. The vehicle is also not breaking properly and the steering is off - so I cant drive the car.

I have an appointment next week - will this be covered under warranty?

There is no physical damage that I can see.
Last edited by mtmp4k on Dec 2nd, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Share:
60 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14643 posts
9047 upvotes
Toronto
No. Alignment doesn't just go out of wack, esp in a 2019. The dealership will find the cause and you'll have to pay to have it fixed. Did you check for rim damage?
Last edited by koffey on Dec 2nd, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
151 posts
48 upvotes
How much damage am I looking at?
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
151 posts
48 upvotes
koffey wrote: No. Alignment doesn't just go out of wack, esp in a 2019. The dealership will find the cause and you'll have to pay to have it fixed. Did you check for rim damage?
I'm not sure if its alignment but when I dont put my hands on the steering the car automatically goes to the right.

There's no rim damage
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14643 posts
9047 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on what's busted. If it's just an alignment and you still have to pay diag fee, probably in the $300-400 range. If you need new hub/abs sensors, that's more cash there. Bent rack? You're into thousand easy.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
151 posts
48 upvotes
koffey wrote: Depends on what's busted. If it's just an alignment and you still have to pay diag fee, probably in the $300-400 range. If you need new hub/abs sensors, that's more cash there. Bent rack? You're into thousand easy.
Can I return my car in that case and get out of the lease early?

Obviously trying to avoid paying thousands
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12117 posts
8446 upvotes
Edmonton
mtmp4k wrote: Can I return my car in that case and get out of the lease early?

File an insurance claim, if you're that concerned about it.

You'll likely have to pay a bunch of money to get out of your lease, and you'll still be responsible for any damages to the car.

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8717 posts
5646 upvotes
Kootenays

No. Your insurance should cover it under collision, but you might want to weigh the costs of an increase in rates vs the repairs.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1641 posts
2365 upvotes
West
This thread is the benchmark of a good, responsible car owner.

"Hey RFD, I drove my car off the cliff. Is that covered under warranty?

... If not, I'm just going to burn the car".
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1641 posts
2365 upvotes
West
mtmp4k wrote: You must be a perfect saint and never made a mistake. Dumbass
I've made many mistakes, actually... But I usually don't try to think of making a fraudulent warranty claim as the first option. If you are unable or unwilling to take responsibility for your actions on the road, you probably should take the bus instead.

I'm tempted to go into your post history and see if you've started one of those, "can i fight my at fault claim? the snow caused accident".
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
151 posts
48 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: I've made many mistakes, actually... But I usually don't try to think of making a fraudulent warranty claim as the first option. If you are unable or unwilling to take responsibility for your actions on the road, you probably should take the bus instead.

I'm tempted to go into your post history and see if you've started one of those, "can i fight my at fault claim? the snow caused accident".
Please get out of this thread and stop spewing nonsense. I never said anything about making a fraudulent warranty claim. You are wasting everybody’s time.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12117 posts
8446 upvotes
Edmonton
Phonophoresis wrote: I've made many mistakes, actually... But I usually don't try to think of making a fraudulent warranty claim as the first option. If you are unable or unwilling to take responsibility for your actions on the road, you probably should take the bus instead.

Someone asking if something would be covered by warranty doesn't mean they were thinking of deliberately making a fraudulent warranty claim. It MAY mean they don't know what is covered by warranty and what's not covered.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3757 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Can't tell if OP is trolling.

Crashed the car, if you don't want to pay, go through insurance.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3634 posts
2264 upvotes
you can try or worse case the dealer will issue you a nice big bill in the thousands.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
151 posts
48 upvotes
thephenom wrote: Can't tell if OP is trolling.

Crashed the car, if you don't want to pay, go through insurance.
Hmm someone entering a thread and not offering useful advice. Not sure who’s trolling
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12238 posts
6777 upvotes
Brampton
Will a dealer/manufacturer warranty your poor driving?

Hmm I'm going to lean towards no.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20074 posts
5464 upvotes
Good Morning
The onboard OBD reader might also record the CEL codes occurence when it was in movement, so you need to step up your game.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14643 posts
9047 upvotes
Toronto
cristianosham wrote: you can try or worse case the dealer will issue you a nice big bill in the thousands.
Yeah, this is an option. If OP is in the GTA there are lots of good alignment shops that can help for less than a dealer. If the OP is willing to drive it, I don't suspect that there's something mechanical from preventing it to be driven. Otherwise, since OP has appointment, your advise is sound. If there's braking issues and the sort, I suspect at least abs sensor or hub needs replacing. I would think that the problem is just too much camber/toe that's pulling the car to the right. Even smoking a pothole can screw up an alignment so what we do know, it's not warrantied and considered wear and tear.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 27, 2020
25 posts
12 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

The best path forward is to fix the car through insurance. The leasing company doesn't want a vehicle that has been damaged and would eventually recoup the cost from you. Returning the car is a real bad idea and would significantly impact your credit. I am not an expert on this at all but some of your questions should have been answered prior to leasing a car. Not much you can do about that now but you should speak with someone you trust about the obligations and impacts of leasing a vehicle.

Good luck.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35550 posts
21614 upvotes
Center of Universe
Shit happens.
Just wait to see what the actual damages are.