Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1437 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Hitron CGN3 (Rogers) Disconnects constantly

I am reaching out to the Tech guru's whom face the similar issues and what where you able to do to resolve the issue.

Issue:

Constantly loosing WiFi Connectivity at home, the modem/router never lost power nor the 2.4G or 5G signal is still working.

No walls between User and the physical location of the Router/Modem.

Received FOUR different modem/routers from Rogers, sadly each one is a refurbished item.

No issues when I am using WIRED connections (laptop or console).

>> Asking the Rogers Tech Support Team, will do the regular process - Update the FW or Send the Technician over, but we have done this like 6 times with FOUR different Router/Modem (Hitron CGN3), the results is the same negative results.
One of the happiest moments in life . . .
"is when you find the courage to let go of what you can't change"
18 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15006 posts
11534 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Tried updating your laptop's wifi NIC?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37864 posts
23963 upvotes
Center of Universe
Buy yourself a WiFi router and bridge the crappy CGN3 to it and you will see a huge improvement.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
Mine used to do it constantly, and almost like clockwork. Only thing that fixed it was moving to a different router when we changed plans.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18635 posts
6033 upvotes
London
gerbil wrote: I am reaching out to the Tech guru's whom face the similar issues and what where you able to do to resolve the issue.

Issue:

Constantly loosing WiFi Connectivity at home, the modem/router never lost power nor the 2.4G or 5G signal is still working.

No walls between User and the physical location of the Router/Modem.

Received FOUR different modem/routers from Rogers, sadly each one is a refurbished item.

No issues when I am using WIRED connections (laptop or console).

>> Asking the Rogers Tech Support Team, will do the regularseperate process - Update the FW or Send the Technician over, but we have done this like 6 times with FOUR different Router/Modem (Hitron CGN3), the results is the same negative results.
https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... i-problems

Try disabling band steering - or set the 2.4 wifi to a different SSID than 5Ghz

(i.e the router may trying to force the client to / from the 2.4Ghz to/from 5 Ghz but the client doesn't understand it needs to switch
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1437 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
l69norm wrote: Try disabling band steering - or set the 2.4 wifi to a different SSID than 5Ghz
@l69norm - I think we are not in the same pace here.

What I meant is that - looking at my Laptop, the signal would drop. Hence, I am disconnected and no longer have access to the Internet. The Microsoft Outlook is now - "Disconnected".
However, when I do check on the Rogers Modem/Router "Hitron CGN3" - it still has power and the LED Icons are still solid light or either blinking.

I would then check my IPad and the signal is still visible, but unable to connect to internet.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18635 posts
6033 upvotes
London
gerbil wrote: [l69norm] - I think we are not in the same pace here.

What I meant is that - looking at my Laptop, the signal would drop. Hence, I am disconnected and no longer have access to the Internet. The Microsoft Outlook is now - "Disconnected".
However, when I do check on the Rogers Modem/Router "Hitron CGN3" - it still has power and the LED Icons are still solid light or either blinking.

I would then check my IPad and the signal is still visible, but unable to connect to internet.
The modem wifi has some new fancy signal wifi switching features. Try disabling these new fancy wifi features and using only the basic standard wifi features to see if you still have the same problem
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1437 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote: Buy yourself a WiFi router and bridge the crappy CGN3 to it and you will see a huge improvement.
Any WiFi router you would recommend that would work with the Hitron device?
And if you can please provide a link how to set it up. Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2764 posts
1319 upvotes
Toronto
gerbil wrote: @l69norm - I think we are not in the same pace here.

I had something that sounds a tad similar.

A Rogers' tech came by and replaced the coax cable from the splitter to the modem. He gave me the old one since it was mine.

It happened again about 3 months later. I disconnected the coax cable and replaced it with the same old one from earlier. Worked great. A few months later and it happened again. I just disconnected the coax cable from the splitter and the Hitron modem, waited a minute, then screwed the coax cable back. That worked. No issues after that. I don't understand what happened though. I wonder if it was on Rogers' side.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37864 posts
23963 upvotes
Center of Universe
gerbil wrote: Any WiFi router you would recommend that would work with the Hitron device?
And if you can please provide a link how to set it up. Thanks in advance.
Against my better judgement, but it's the best consumer router that often goes on sale at $179.99, I think the Asus RT-AC86u is a good choice.
The problem with this router is you may get a dud that can fail early on, after warranty or experience no issues at all.

My other suggestion is the Netgear R7000, which is an older model, but reliable, provided your household does not require extreme speeds over 200Mbps.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3067 posts
658 upvotes
Pickering
I have the same modem with Carrytel and for the last week the signal has been dropping at random times all the time, trying to get Carrytel and Rogers to fix it has been fruitless, 2 techs and nope there's no issues.

About to switch to DSL if they can't fix it.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1437 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
night blade wrote: I have the same modem with Carrytel and for the last week the signal has been dropping at random times all the time, trying to get Carrytel and Rogers to fix it has been fruitless, 2 techs and nope there's no issues.

About to switch to DSL if they can't fix it.
I am sorry to hear this. Sadly, I also found this Article.

Hoping you find a more fruitful way to resolve your issue, even if you need to move to another provider.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23464 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
Have you tried asking Rogers for a different modem model altogether (something besides the CGN3)?

I’m on Fido and was using the CGN3 (this is the silver one that looks like a spaceship right?). Moved to a new house and moved services.

The technician set me up on Rogers gigabit modem Hitron Coda 4582 (the white tower one). Said it was better and the CGN3’s were problematic (tho I didn’t have any problems with mine).

Using the white modem and solid so far, no issues.

Worth a shot or try the CGN3 in bridge mode only like others suggested.

Gl!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
163 upvotes
The CGN3 is known for its bad WiFi capabilities. You should only use it in bridge mode and use a dedicated router for Wi-Fi. Call your ISP to see if they can replace the device for different one.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3067 posts
658 upvotes
Pickering
gerbil wrote: I am sorry to hear this. Sadly, I also found this Article.

Hoping you find a more fruitful way to resolve your issue, even if you need to move to another provider.
Thanks for the link, a part from the recent disconnects I've always had latency issues when online gaming, this article proves there is issues with the CGN3 for sure.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4605 posts
1834 upvotes
GTA
I had the exact same issues with my Rogers CGN3 modem. When I complained, they said it was because my particular modem was issued to me in 2012 and although the same modem is still in use, they've been upgraded internally. So they sent me a newer one (also refurbished as the OP mentioned) and I connected it. I had the exact same issues.

I then called and requested I be sent the white modem which is typically reserved for clients on 500mbps or higher packages (I'm on a lower package). Apparently this modem is in huge demand due to COVID and work-from home so I waited about three weeks before it finally arrived. I connected it and it no longer drops any SSID's, though I actually find the range is worse than the older CGN3.

My parents have an older CGN3 in a condo with concrete walls so I bought them a small mesh system and put the hirtron in bridge mode.....wow what a difference. Not only do they get full coverage in every square cm of their place, it's also faster. I'm going to bite the bullet now and do the same at our place as it's clear the Rogers modem is limiting us.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2743 posts
855 upvotes
North York
I've been procrastinating/fighting for years with my Rogers Hitron 4582 modem and experienced the exact same random wifi disconnects using the modem's built in router features. I picked up a Ubiquity Edge Router from another RFD member back in April and then I picked up a Ubiquity UAP wireless access point. I been meaning to setup multiple VLANs and properly segregate all the different IoT devices I have added around the house over the years along with proper guest wifi access. Not only do I get better Wifi range inside and outside of my house but no a single random drop like before.

No regrets so far as I haven't had to reboot my modem, router or access point ever since I set all this up over 14 weeks ago. I had a spare Raspberry Pi3b+ kicking around so now I have a dedicated Pihole box that my router points to for DNS for ad blocking for anyone connected to the network. My only regret is I should have bridged my modem years ago :)
Images
  • 7-13-2020 10-27-45 PM.jpg
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16981 posts
14586 upvotes
GTA, ON
I had the Hitron CDA-20 (through Carrytel) and it had the same problems. I'm thinking it's just the Hitron modems period.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3067 posts
658 upvotes
Pickering
Just a quick update to my previous post in this thread, my entire neighborhood was having issues apparently and last week a crew from Rogers came by to fix it, I still have latency issues with the Hitron but at least now I don't have constant disconnects, wish fiber was available where I live.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)