Computers & Electronics

Hitron CODA-4582 (Rogers Gigabit Modem) vs Asus 66U

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2018 10:14 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 18, 2006
180 posts
34 upvotes
Ajax

Hitron CODA-4582 (Rogers Gigabit Modem) vs Asus 66U

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading to gigabit internet at the house. I currently have a rogers 100 with a modem that is a few years old. I am just using it as a passthru to my Asus 66U and have good results. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with the Rogers gigabit modems and if they are good enough to eliminate the Asus. Thanks in advance.
23 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6181 upvotes
eronius_monk wrote: Hello everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading to gigabit internet at the house. I currently have a rogers 100 with a modem that is a few years old. I am just using it as a passthru to my Asus 66U and have good results. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with the Rogers gigabit modems and if they are good enough to eliminate the Asus. Thanks in advance.
Yes, the Rogers CODA modem is a better router than your Asus. The CODA modem is an AC router, AC1900 speed I believe. Try it out and see. Most of us here prefer to use our own routers. But you will need a new upgraded router for you to surpass what the CODA is capable of. I also recommend the beta firmware for the CODA. You sign up on the Rogers community forum.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
17404 posts
3865 upvotes
Toronto
I am using a Hitron as well with an Asus/T-Mobile AC1900. Both have pretty good range and speed; therefore, I would conclude that the Hitron will outperform the Ac66 as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
1525 posts
863 upvotes
So long as you keep hw acceleration enabled, the 66u will handle gigabit.

I personally do not like letting Rogers have control over Lan, so I always use a standalone router.

The hitron however does support ac1900, so any ac wireless devices you have will benefit from that
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 18, 2006
180 posts
34 upvotes
Ajax
Pretty disappointing start. Speed were almost exactly the same as the old modem. Wired to my Mac i was only getting around 145 mbps and my Ps4 the same. After 2 hrs online with Rogers they asked me to exchange the modem. Back at it tonightPouting Face.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
17404 posts
3865 upvotes
Toronto
You have Rogers 100 or 1000? Getting 145 on a 100 plan is pretty good.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 18, 2006
180 posts
34 upvotes
Ajax
I have gigabit (1000). I am going to try eliminating the splitter it is on and going direct to see if that improves the signal.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
17404 posts
3865 upvotes
Toronto
That makes more sense because your original post says 100.

I have 500 service and hit about 550 on my Macbook Air when I'm about 15 feet from the Hitron.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35726 posts
21807 upvotes
Center of Universe
eronius_monk wrote: I have gigabit (1000). I am going to try eliminating the splitter it is on and going direct to see if that improves the signal.
How's your speed now?
I can barely hit 500Mbps being directly connected to the modem on my PC.
If I don't get speeds above 500Mbps, I will also call in to change modems.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 22, 2006
2822 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
From my testing with the Hitron Coda-4582. It's a piece of garbage if you have any more than a dozen devices connected to it. Signal will drop out periodically for no reason. I've gone through all the settings, set a static channel, etc.

Stick with your 66u. If it's the older N66u consider upgrading to the AC66/AC68 for AC speeds. AC68 goes on sale for $150 from time to time, AC66 for $100.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15066 posts
2652 upvotes
eronius_monk wrote: Pretty disappointing start. Speed were almost exactly the same as the old modem. Wired to my Mac i was only getting around 145 mbps and my Ps4 the same. After 2 hrs online with Rogers they asked me to exchange the modem. Back at it tonightPouting Face.
I presume you had tested your device being plugged directly into the gateway?
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 18, 2006
180 posts
34 upvotes
Ajax
eldiablo wrote: I presume you had tested your device being plugged directly into the gateway?
Yes direct. Best i could do was around 150mbps. I am going to wait till the beta firmware is pushed and see if it make a difference.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6181 upvotes
eronius_monk wrote: Yes direct. Best i could do was around 150mbps. I am going to wait till the beta firmware is pushed and see if it make a difference.
Check it at different times of the day. I find I have my top speed first thing in the morning. There could be congestion on your node. Keep screenshots of the speed tests. Rogers will credit your account for poor service. Just call the office of the president after a few months.

Once they upgraded my node my speed issues went away. Your area could be oversubscribed. The beta firmware could help though.

What is your upload speed like in the speed tests?
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 18, 2006
180 posts
34 upvotes
Ajax
I live in an older section of Ajax in a detached house. Unless the node covers a huge area i dought it would be oversubscribed. Upload are anywhere between 25-30.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14482 posts
5064 upvotes
London
I can't say enough bad things about the CODA modem. I get gigabit speeds for about 2 days every time I factory reset it and then it drops to about 500mb. Every time.

Wireless signal also always drops out pretty much on a weekly basis.

Got the beta firmware from Rogers hoping it would help, but it did not.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6181 upvotes
eronius_monk wrote: I live in an older section of Ajax in a detached house. Unless the node covers a huge area i dought it would be oversubscribed. Upload are anywhere between 25-30.
With that upload speed on the speed test you should be getting the full download speed via speedtest.net. Make sure you are choosing the Rogers server on the test.

I live in an older neighborhood also. My area was oversubscribed, believe me. But with your upload speed it sounds fine. The beta firmware could help you.

How old is your Mac laptop? Is there anything else you could test with? I would think you could hit 300-400mbps over wifi with something like an iPad or an iPhone. Make sure you use the 5ghz network.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 18, 2006
180 posts
34 upvotes
Ajax
Thanks for all the help. The iMac is pretty old, my first thought was maybe it is a little underpowered but after a midem reset got up to 200mbps. The only other high powered device I have is the PS4 and I was getting between 100-200 on that with uploads around 10-15. On my iPhone and iPad i get between 70-80 down and 30 up.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6181 upvotes
eronius_monk wrote: Thanks for all the help. The iMac is pretty old, my first thought was maybe it is a little underpowered but after a midem reset got up to 200mbps. The only other high powered device I have is the PS4 and I was getting between 100-200 on that with uploads around 10-15. On my iPhone and iPad i get between 70-80 down and 30 up.
See, the 30 up is telling me you are getting the full speed of the connection. Your upload speed is capped at 30mbps. I have found that when I run speed tests, if I get 30 up, I get the full gigabit speed down. If my line tested at 100mbps like you are getting, my upload would be showing as 5mbps or something.

I think a visit from a Rogers technician would be of benefit to you. Something is not right.

Are you sure you are using the 5ghz wifi connection with the iPhone and the iPad? Your results sound consistent with a 2.4ghz connection.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 18, 2006
180 posts
34 upvotes
Ajax
Sorry Sickbeast,

Just went right beside the modem and got 250 down on my iPhone.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6181 upvotes
eronius_monk wrote: Sorry Sickbeast,

Just went right beside the modem and got 250 down on my iPhone.
Your connection is fine. You need higher end gear to take advantage of it. I have a top end router and I can get 650mbps down on my iPhone. The CODA modem isn't going to give you much more than that.
I am a Zoomer customer.

Top