Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes

HK to Shanghai < 72h, Visa?

seeking clarifcation if my Canadian Passport needs a tourist visa or not if I'm staying less than 72 hours with a round-trip HKG to PVG.

I'm not sure if Hong Kong SAR qualifies as an international flight.

The visa exemption states:

"You do not need a tourist visa if you are visiting the following cities for up to 72 hours while in transit, between two pre-purchased international flights, via their international airports listed below:
- Beijing via the Beijing Capital International Airport;
- Chengdu via the Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport;
- Chongqing via the Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport;
- Dalian via the Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport;
- Guangzhou via the Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport;
- Guilin via the Guilin Liangjiang International Airport;
- Hangzhou via the Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport;
- Kunming via the Kunming Changshui International Airport;
- Shanghai via the Pudong or Hongqiao international airports;
- Shenyang via the Shenyang Taoxian International Airport; and
- Xi’an via the Xi’an Xianyang International Airport."

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/china

I've emailed the Canadian consulate in Shanghai...they directed me to my local Chinese consulate, waiting on a response but thought i'd try asking here too.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

2 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
24365 posts
6047 upvotes
where I belong
HKG is International

But round-trip to China does NOT qualify for the 72h/144h waiver, as it's for A-China-B only (TRANSIT in China), not for A-China-A round-trip
You can get around it by doing HKG-PVG-Macau

Check the Wiki at top of this Flyertalk thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/70 ... hread.html
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
thanks for the quick response

all this is part of a series of flights (I'll be flying from HKG to TPE shortly after, then to NRT and hopefully ICH before returning home)

so it looks like I can do:

1. MFM - PVG - HKG, then onwards to my other destinations
2. HKG - PVG - HKG (roundtrip, with visa), then onwards to my other destinations...might work out to be cheaper than flying from Macau

I'm unable to find the fee for the visa...the link on China's Foreign Affairs website is broken.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.