• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2018 7:27 pm
[OP]
Aug 8, 2003
971 posts
120 upvotes
Ontario

Hockey schools in Mississauga / GTA west end

Looking for a good hockey school for my 7 year old that’s not over the top expensive that runs Saturdays
for PowerSkating, edge work, stick handling

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9680 posts
3247 upvotes
TheZodiac wrote: Looking for a good hockey school for my 7 year old that’s not over the top expensive that runs Saturdays
for PowerSkating, edge work, stick handling

Thanks
Most arenas have deals with hockey schools so your best best is to check the arena itself. Also, at 7 years old your son is better off playing alot of Shinny - it's fun and he gets to work on his skating - if he's starting to get serious about playing the next level AAA then the news is not good if your looking to cheap out.
The leader of the past may have been a person who knew how to tell, but certainly, the leader of the future will be a person who knows how to ask. -Peter Drucker
[OP]
Aug 8, 2003
971 posts
120 upvotes
Ontario
blexann wrote: Most arenas have deals with hockey schools so your best best is to check the arena itself. Also, at 7 years old your son is better off playing alot of Shinny - it's fun and he gets to work on his skating - if he's starting to get serious about playing the next level AAA then the news is not good if your looking to cheap out.
I agree shinny is great, but with my work schedule we can't go.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9680 posts
3247 upvotes
TheZodiac wrote: I agree shinny is great, but with my work schedule we can't go.
Yea arenas don't make a lot off shinny so prime time ice usually goes to the hockey schools. I would start by asking the arena
The leader of the past may have been a person who knew how to tell, but certainly, the leader of the future will be a person who knows how to ask. -Peter Drucker
Aug 22, 2016
46 posts
52 upvotes
I just went through this process for my 7 year old boy, turning 8 next month. Yeah, shinny would be the best option but the schedule would not work for me either. I ended up putting him in house league (novice level) which will start in September and then I will go from there. Kids at their age can learn pretty quick from their team mates and coach (I'm told). In my area, hockey school is only for up to 5 years old.

If it's just for skating skills, you can look up canskate and have him go through powerskate and powerskate plus programs. My son did not go through these programs and he only finished the U2 level.

I've been looking for a 20 flex composite stick for my 3 year old boy, but not too many options out there. The raven one is a bit expensive for me and thinking of getting a 30 flex stick and cut it down. Would you guys recommend this? If not, what other options do I have?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1265 posts
269 upvotes
For a 3 year old, get a wooden stick and cut it down. Important thing at that age is to buy a straight stick, you don't know if he will shoot right or left yet.
Aug 22, 2016
46 posts
52 upvotes
Excellent advice, bought a wooden stick with straight blade for him.

I also found a nice Easton 30 flex composite stick at National Sports and bought it as well (50% off). He's been shooting left and the stick also happened to be a left handed stick and was the last one in store. This one will last him for at least 2 years until he finishes hockey school.

If anyone is looking for hockey socks, CCM & Reebok hockey socks are on clearance at Canadian Tire (it appears to be only at Trinity Common location). All Child/Youth/Adult are $4.99 each (20" for child, 24" for youth and 28" for adult), bought 5 pairs for my sons.
Aug 22, 2016
46 posts
52 upvotes
I was with my sons at Pine Point Arena this past Saturday and they were giving $350 off for early bird registration for 2018-2019 season. I did not check with them but would assume it also applies to hockey school. It's a very good deal if anyone is in the area. I only got $70 off per early bird registration from my local arena.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
199 upvotes
Markham, ON
I saw a lot of cricket fields in Brampton. Why not try cricket instead?