• Feb 21st, 2019 2:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
955 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto

Hole in Tire - what to do?

One of my tires has a hole. It takes about 16 hours to get from 34 psi to not registering any psi on my tire pressure gauge. Can this be fixed with a sealant? if so, any recommendations?

Or do I need tire? If so, do I have to replace all 4 or just the one? This is the second winter season of use. The car only has about 18,000 km on it.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3227 posts
883 upvotes
Vaughan
If it has a hole, it can be repaired with a patch as long as the hole isn't on the side wall, or close to it.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6303 posts
3803 upvotes
Toronto
Kaltire does free tire patch if they see you as potential customer.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4547 posts
4772 upvotes
GTA
Take it to a tire shop for a patch. If there is indeed a puncture.

Just tell them it's leaking air, and they'll fix it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18712 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
Use a plug kit from CT if you don't mind doing DIY. Otherwise take to tire shop to fix for you if it isn't in the sidewall.
If you can't find the leak, spray the tire with soapy water to find it. You may need to rotate it to find it. If you still can't find it, be sure to spray the tire valve, as sometimes that can leak. Rarely the inside of the metal wheel can have a pinhole leak.
If you still can't find it, fill a tub with water, and submerge parts of the tire in it until you see bubbles. It helps to over pressure the tire to 50psi to see more bubbles, but if it takes you that long to get to 34psi, you probably have a big leak or a broken pump.
Anyhow, find the leak, mark it and fix DIY or take to tire shop.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1164 upvotes
Its also common on older rims to develop a small leak where the rim and rubber connect to each other from rust or corrosion. The shop can remove the tire, grind down the rust and put it back on. Take it into a good shop and they should be able to fix it up and send you on your way, it's around 30$ give or take depending on the shop I think.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4181 posts
3048 upvotes
Edmonton
redwings_patriots wrote: One of my tires has a hole. It takes about 16 hours to get from 34 psi to not registering any psi on my tire pressure gauge. Can this be fixed with a sealant? if so, any recommendations?

Or do I need tire? If so, do I have to replace all 4 or just the one? This is the second winter season of use. The car only has about 18,000 km on it.
If your car only has 18,000 km on it, take it to the dealer. It could be a warranty issue.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6303 posts
3803 upvotes
Toronto
starchoice wrote: If your car only has 18,000 km on it, take it to the dealer. It could be a warranty issue.
Tires won't be covered under warranty unless he bought extra tire hazard warranty or insurance. But worth a shot, my nissan came with 60k kms bumper to bumper and free hazard warranty. Didn't use it but, my MB had a flat at 5000 kms and they brushed me off and ask me to pay $400+$100 for installation. I laughed and left. Spent $5 at CT for plug and returned the car a year later.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3939 posts
2164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redwings_patriots wrote: One of my tires has a hole. It takes about 16 hours to get from 34 psi to not registering any psi on my tire pressure gauge. Can this be fixed with a sealant? if so, any recommendations?

Just want you to be crystal clear on this...Everyone is telling you to take it to a "Tire" Shop...NOT Canadian Tire! Thought you should be aware.

Because I don't want to see another thread open with title.."Took it to Canadian Tire and they blew my engine into pieces"...
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11831 posts
5736 upvotes
Okay, OP don't take this the wrong way, but if you are starting this thread, asking these questions, I feel a DIY plug kit is not the best option for you.

Take it a tire shop and have it looked at. If it can hold pressure for 16 hours, then pump it up to 35psi and go straight there. Call them ahead so they know you are coming. As said, as long as not near the sidewall, it can likely be fixed no problem. I just had one done, for $25. Usually I buy the road hazard warranty, but unfortunately I bought these Hankook tires though my Goodyear mechanic, and they can only offer it on Goodyear tires. Odd policy, but whatever.