Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1130 posts
265 upvotes
Vaughan

Holiday porch Outlet

I'm wondering whether a holiday porch outlet is something that's easy to do after closing? My builder is charging $460 for the exterior plug and another $190 to make a switch. To clarify, this would be an electrical outlet on the ceiling of the porch. My current house has it and its convenient for plugging in cameras and such. Not sure how difficult it is to do after closing as I presume it would require drilling a hole into the brick and inside the house and then installing the switch. Assuming, the electrician would have to pull the line from either the porch light or exterior outlet.
Last edited by MrDisco on Feb 8th, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated title
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1317 posts
910 upvotes
Etobicoke
for less than #700...I would get the builder to do it
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4124 posts
1502 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I would have the builder do it as well. It’s much easier for them to do it. I would say that cost is pretty high for what it is however it’s the easiest time to do it and there’s a chance doing it afterwards may result in some extra holes in the wall or ceiling to get the line out there.
Mar 9, 2009
319 posts
100 upvotes
That's relatively expensive for sure. Our builder is only charging $250 for both switch and plug. I was also contemplating to do it after with my electrician but he said he might run a pvc pipe on the exterior wall and that threw me off.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9639 posts
5036 upvotes
Paris
There is no easy way to do this after which is why the builder is going to soak you for it. Let them do it.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
i would recommend one, my house has one on the front porch and its own independent switch to control it
Last edited by MrDisco on Feb 8th, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: thread cleanup
Hi
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
they call it holiday they dont want to offend certain people?
Hi
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2788 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
$650 for both by the builder is pricey especially since it is all being done while the house is under construction. That said it will cost you more than $650 to get it done after and you might have fishing holes cut in your drywall. Get the builder to do it.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Some builder came out with the smart idea to charge $600 -$800 to put the outlet somewhere in the Veranda most commonly on the ceiling soffit, and solve the problem, it also has its own independent switch, which your fridge or sprinkler outlets do NOT have.
Last edited by GoodFellaz on Feb 9th, 2021 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hi
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1130 posts
265 upvotes
Vaughan
Thanks everyone for your feedback! It sounds like the general consensus is that I should probably just do the upgrade with the builder despite the cost being a bit ridiculous.

It seems that the thread got out of hand a bit with why it's called a holiday porch outlet. I didn't understand the builder upgrade at first either which is why I explained that it's just an electrical outlet on the ceiling of the porch. I suppose it's just marketing on why the call it that. Sorry, I didn't mean to get people's blood boiling with the thread title..
Dec 26, 2012
275 posts
233 upvotes
TORONTO
meh, all good. that's mainly what it's for anyways. i'm not climbing a ladder to charge my phone on the ceiling outlet. It's a light outlet (halloween, xmas, whatever).
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10205 posts
2762 upvotes
i would just run the extension cord from out the outlet at knee level. not like your ever going to notice. plus if you are decorating the porch railing or anything thats your starting point for your lights.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1130 posts
265 upvotes
Vaughan
rocking23nf wrote: i would just run the extension cord from out the outlet at knee level. not like your ever going to notice. plus if you are decorating the porch railing or anything thats your starting point for your lights.
i actually don't use the one i currently have for holiday lights. I have a wyzecam that I've plugged in there. Just a cheap way to put a camera up for security. I find running an extension cord to the roof of the porch is a bit too messy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5331 posts
1437 upvotes
Kanata
otaknap wrote: i actually don't use the one i currently have for holiday lights. I have a wyzecam that I've plugged in there. Just a cheap way to put a camera up for security. I find running an extension cord to the roof of the porch is a bit too messy.
If you're using for camera, ask them to just run network cables, lots of CCTV camera are PoE (power over ethernet) where you don't need an outlet. The cameras and the networking would probably cost you less than $700. If you want it to actually use for lights go ahead, but ya that's a steep price. Mine cost $300.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5000 posts
2408 upvotes
Ottawa
bizzyseller wrote: Why have I never seen this before? ITS AMAZING!
Great if you want everything else to be on while your front house lights are also on. Not so great if you want more control.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1591 posts
789 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: Great if you want everything else to be on while your front house lights are also on. Not so great if you want more control.
I believe the built in receptacle is always on.

Good for a security camera.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5000 posts
2408 upvotes
Ottawa
bizzyseller wrote: I believe the built in receptacle is always on.

Yes, great for a security camera. But if it's always on, how do you turn off your "holiday lights"?

Edit: question number one on the Amazon page: lights have to be on for there to be power to the "oulets". It turns out that this picture is a fake! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Frankly, I cannot think of any application where this will look good. It would look far tidier to have a proper electrical outlet installed in a soffit or positioned closer to where the power is used.
Last edited by CaptSmethwick on Feb 6th, 2021 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4124 posts
1502 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
bizzyseller wrote: I believe the built in receptacle is always on.

That receptacle won’t be on without the light in most cases. If you just go and swap out an existing light fixture for this you almost certainly will not have constant power in the box. 99% of the only have a 2 wire cable (switched power and neutral) from a switch. In this case there is no way for the receptacle to be on without the light being on as power will cut out every time the switch turns off.

If you were to build new or run a new line with a 3 wire cable (switched power, constant power and neutral) then the receptacle could be on always but without this it is not possible.

EDIT: As expected after looking in to it a little more my second option is not possible without modifying (and thus nullifying any CSA/UL rating) the fixture. There are only 2 connections so it is not even designed to have constant power and switched power. Light on = receptacles on. Light off = receptacles off.