• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 2:04 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4241 posts
799 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bombdiggity wrote: What about

1. Adding a new line (and then switching the old number on to it). Is this considered "new activation"?
I believe this does not count because it just adds a line to an existing account. Like adding a supplementary card to your credit card account.
bombdiggity wrote: 2. Opening a new account (and then switching the old number on to it). This should be a "new activation" right?
This would be a new activation for sure.
bombdiggity wrote: Can somebody clarify if you can switch a number from one line/account to another through self serve/calling in or do you have to port it out on to prepaid and then port it back in on to the new line/account?
In the past you had to switch your post-paid account to a pre-paid first before porting it to another post-paid account - don't see why it would be different this time.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1991 posts
1261 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
navdeepnippy wrote: I am in the same category. I think I will keep the 4 gb public mobile plan since I never go over 4 GB. I agree extra 6 GB for 22 dollars is enticing but public mobile's 12 gb over 3 months is pretty good, especially say if you only use 6 gb in first 2 months, then you have 6 gb for the 3rd month.
True... however amoutn of data isn't the only factor to consider, there is also the fact that koodo has live reps you can call and speak with if you have a problem, and public mobile only has support through their forum, and their portal is very buggy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9098 posts
54295 upvotes
Ontario
bob5593 wrote: Hmm. So if we don't use your game plan and try to get a discounted phone on boxing day, they'll force us to get an in-market plan of the day ? Knowing them, this 10GB plan will be long gone and it'll be something silly like $80 for 3gb again.
You can still keep $85 10GB though
COSTCO is closed on October 12 (Thanksgiving)
Saint-Hubert (Quebec) Costco = Oct 12 = 7AM - 6PM
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2597 posts
629 upvotes
Bojangles416 wrote: So I would have to go activate a pre paid sim with koodo or telus first?
Yes, unless Koodo reverse their "new activation only" policy.
Sep 15, 2012
684 posts
143 upvotes
bv
Whats the best deal right now to have some data and get a new phone?

I'm still on the old Fido $29, 600mb plan from a few years ago. Always bust my data.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2597 posts
629 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: do you have more details on this? I'm looking at my self-service portal and i'm not sure which plan i would switch to for prepaid.

To answer your second question - Yes porting a number automatically creates a cancellation for the pertinent account, but its always good to call in and verify the details. I previously had a final bill go to collections.

won't step 2 automatically cancel the original account?
Don't switch to any plan or do anything else. Just port the number and set the account to pay per use.
Last edited by hi-tech on Dec 15th, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7479 posts
4957 upvotes
Canada
iPonik wrote: Whats the best deal right now to have some data and get a new phone?

I'm still on the old Fido $29, 600mb plan from a few years ago. Always bust my data.
Zoomer $36 2GB
Includes a free LG g4. Keep it or sell it and get a better phone
Jun 23, 2003
387 posts
157 upvotes
Nothing for Telus yet? Website hasn’t changed.
Jun 18, 2015
503 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hi-tech wrote: For anyone already on Koodo with an out of market plan who wants to switch to this plan, these are the steps:

1. Port your existing Koodo number to a prepaid line (Koodo/Telus prepaid port quickly).

2. Activate a Koodo account with the plan posted in this thread from a Koodo store and provide the account details for the ported number.
hi-tech wrote: 3. Cancel your original Koodo account.

Note - You will be hit with another credit check.

why not just open a second line and then port out your original number then port it back in?

there you won't be hit with credit check.

and once you port out your account gets closed automatically.
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 15th, 2017 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unnecessary.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3554 posts
3167 upvotes
Muskoka
So far Koodo wins this round of price wars, given that there are few hoops, if any, to jump through, and they have included Ont
Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5285 posts
1065 upvotes
This is an INSANE plan! I would jump on it, but I just signed up for a 4GB corporate plan for 2 years. not that I need > 4GB right now, but if I had more I would stream more video for sure!
Dec 4, 2016
252 posts
122 upvotes
If I currently have a Koodo line (work) and a PM line, would this deal still apply if I opened a new line (separate credit card) with Koodo?
Jun 22, 2009
277 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
Don't forget to use a referral from someone to get $25 in Billing credits! And once you're set up send your referral to your friends to get $25 for everyone else that signs up
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
4367 posts
1878 upvotes
Toronto
kithid wrote: If I currently have a Koodo line (work) and a PM line, would this deal still apply if I opened a new line (separate credit card) with Koodo?
Yes
Current KOODO and FIDO customer😎
Jul 22, 2011
661 posts
136 upvotes
Burlington
babin13 wrote: Did you do this over the phone or via chat? I also have that $65 2GB + 2GB no tab on one my lines on my account and the retention rep told me that my account is not qualified for that migration plan..
I called and spoke to Retentions