• Nov 4th, 2019 5:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3464 posts
832 upvotes

Holloween Candy

Do you inspect your kids candy? What do you look for?

When i was a kid we had to dump our entire haul and throw out anything that wasn't commercially wrapped.
12 replies
Jul 5, 2004
24787 posts
4053 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: Do you inspect your kids candy? What do you look for?

When i was a kid we had to dump our entire haul and throw out anything that wasn't commercially wrapped.
Same as when you were a kid. If it's not commercially wrapped, it gets thrown out.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33040 posts
18840 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, especially now with THC edibles.
Dec 22, 2014
842 posts
278 upvotes
Regina, SK
vkizzle wrote: Yes, especially now with THC edibles.
Those things are expensive. I don't think anybody would want to spend that kind of money to hand them out to kids.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1014 posts
388 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We have to inspect every year and remove all that contain peanuts as my son is allergic. We also remove the ones that like those balls type of candies/bubble gum. My other son is too young for that as he could choke.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33040 posts
18840 upvotes
Ottawa
VicRav wrote: Those things are expensive. I don't think anybody would want to spend that kind of money to hand them out to kids.
Accidental?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
7549 posts
3071 upvotes
Markham
We just let my son keep a few like 10 and throw rest out. Too many candies is not healthy. We should start to promote giving kids books in Halloween:)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9877 posts
1790 upvotes
Toronto
I teach mine to actually not eat any of it. If you want candy or chocolate, I'll buy it for you.

Just enjoy the act of going around houses and collecting in costume.

If I was to be evil and tamper with it, I'd be very careful to reglue the wrapper to look exactly like commercially sealed
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8481 posts
2277 upvotes
Mississauga
JonSnow wrote: Do you inspect your kids candy? What do you look for?

Yes always inspected.
Dec 22, 2014
842 posts
278 upvotes
Regina, SK
smartie wrote: We just let my son keep a few like 10 and throw rest out. Too many candies is not healthy. We should start to promote giving kids books in Halloween:)
rfdrfd wrote: I teach mine to actually not eat any of it. If you want candy or chocolate, I'll buy it for you.

Just enjoy the act of going around houses and collecting in costume.

If I was to be evil and tamper with it, I'd be very careful to reglue the wrapper to look exactly like commercially sealed
Ugh. If you don't want kids to have too much or any Halloween candy have them stop collecting after 10 or just leave the bags at home. Tell them to visit houses and declare that they do not want any candy and they just want to show off their costumes. To have them collect a bunch of candy with the intent of tossing it out seems like a terrible lesson.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
7549 posts
3071 upvotes
Markham
VicRav wrote:

Ugh. If you don't want kids to have too much or any Halloween candy have them stop collecting after 10 or just leave the bags at home. Tell them to visit houses and declare that they do not want any candy and they just want to show off their costumes. To have them collect a bunch of candy with the intent of tossing it out seems like a terrible lesson.
I don't see why its a terrible lesson. Tell others you don't need their candy but just show off costumes is actually a terrible lesson

Its trick or treat, not beauty competition

But i have no problem if you let your kids eat a lot candies, your children anyway
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
491 upvotes
It’s a terrible lesson because you’re teaching your children to knowingly take food they will not eat, to take perfectly good food and just throw it in the garbage. It’s being intentionally wasteful. It’s a terrible lesson from both a social and environmental perspective.

You could have them donate the candy, teaching them that if they don’t need/want something, they should give it to help others who would appreciate and make use of it. Give it to the Salvation Army (they put it in with the socks/blankets in their care packages for the homeless) or if pizza pizza is collecting it to donate to charity again this year (in exchange for a slice) you could do that. Even dropping it in the food bank donation box at the grocery store (while not exactly the best thing to donate) teaches your kids to help others instead of just being careless conspicuous consumers. Hell, bring it in to the break room at your work to get rid of it that way, anything’s better than collecting it just to send it to the landfill.
Dec 22, 2014
842 posts
278 upvotes
Regina, SK
smartie wrote: I don't see why its a terrible lesson. Tell others you don't need their candy but just show off costumes is actually a terrible lesson

Its trick or treat, not beauty competition

But i have no problem if you let your kids eat a lot candies, your children anyway
Never said it was a beauty competition. Just a costume showoff, which is basically what Halloween has become. Kids showoff their costumes and get candy in exchange. A lot of people handing out candy appreciate seeing the various costumes that kids dress up in year to year. As you say it is trick or treat, I would argue the greatest trick would be kids saying no thank you to candy when they visit houses.

When your kids collect candy there are parenting/teachable opportunities too. Going through the candies and explaining that your making sure things are safe and explaining why some things have to be discarded is good for them to learn. My son had received a little brown bag of popcorn stapled shut and a couple candies where the wrappers had already started to open, so all these had to tossed. He still has a lot of candy, so he is also continuing to learn that candy is a special treat and he cannot have too much because it is not good for him. I would rather my child be exposed to candy, learn about the importance of moderation and earn trust.