Home AC Repair Experience

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 10:45 pm
Mar 19, 2015
119 posts
95 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Home AC Repair Experience

I have 21 year old R-22 2.5 ton 4lbs lenox AC unit and found that it wasn't cooling enough. I had subscribe to reliance home comfort ac protection plan. I called them and they came and checked the AC low freeon pressure and showed me it was 44 kpi where they said it should be above 60 kpi if temperature is above 30C. He said if it gets to 32 kpi, then the unit will freeze. He also checked the capacitor and found the voltage to be working order. He said normally he would find/fix the leak ( approx $1000 ) and replace Freon ( $300 per pound r410 ) . Both will be covered under the protection plan.

He said since I have r22 and they don't have r22 only r410 , he can't fix it for me. He suggested that I call someone else or replace the AC unit. I asked if he could fix the leak, he said he couldn't since he would need to empty system of r22 and to put nitrogen to find/fix the leak and then put back new r22.

I called Reliance to enquire about protection plan having exclusion for r22 since it wasn't listed in the exclusion, they said that tech has their own list which isn't published. I asked them why i should continue on subscribing to AC protection plan since it doesn't cover R22, they said it will cover other stuff.

Are they allowed to get away from fixing the issue even though it isn't part of their exclusion ? https://reliancehomecomfort.com/wp-cont ... ection.pdf

How does one measure AC freeon pressure in R22 non-TXV unit ?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
677 upvotes
GTA
R22 is not made any more, but it is still available.

The equipment to recover 410a can also recover 22, technically they can recover and fix the leak and you can have it re-charged by a company that stocks R22.

This being said, a major leak repair is not worth it on a unit this age especially with r22 not being made any more and expensive.
It's most likely your indoor coil.

I would see if there's a way to get the money for the last year of protection plan back (since they can't deliver what was promised) and put the money towards a new a/c, ideally from a reputable independent contractor.
exclusion, they said that tech has their own list which isn't published.
That doesn't sound very legal but i'm no lawyer. Probably just a lie.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Mar 19, 2015
119 posts
95 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Tech suggested that you could call another AC company and say that reliance did the investigation and all you need is top of service since it isn't worth to repair it . He said it is against the law to refill it and won't do it ? Now I can't find any ontario law for RESIDENTIAL where it is against the law ? Anyone have link to it ..

Most AC company won't top off and will try to repair it which is going to cost alot of money ? Their is cheap alternate freon leak fill stuff but will damage ac compressor ?

I am going to file a complain against via https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint ..

AC still works since is small leak but won't call fast like before ..
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
At 21 yrs old....it is on it's last legs probably.

Call Reliance one last time and say if they don't want to top up/fix it you're terminating the protection plan effective immediately and then get a new AC unit. Get a confirmation # or record the call for your records.

Is your furnace also 20+ yrs old? Replace that at the same time.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
677 upvotes
GTA
nbalacha wrote: Tech suggested that you could call another AC company and say that reliance did the investigation and all you need is top of service since it isn't worth to repair it . He said it is against the law to refill it and won't do it ? Now I can't find any ontario law for RESIDENTIAL where it is against the law ? Anyone have link to it ..

Most AC company won't top off and will try to repair it which is going to cost alot of money ? Their is cheap alternate freon leak fill stuff but will damage ac compressor ?

I am going to file a complain against via https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint ..

AC still works since is small leak but won't call fast like before ..
It is against the law to top off leakers in canada and is wrong - destroys the atmosphere.
It is not even a fix, just a very temporary cover up.
R22 is expensive, so is labor.

Refilling with R22 after fixing the leak is perfectly legal, but it is not worth the repair. (or really, the refrigerant alone)

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cl ... ctors.html
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
If OP is going to stay where he is ie not moving in the next 5 yr. Buy a new AC unit and get it installed.

If you plan on moving in the next couple of yrs, you can consider a rental AC.

Mar 19, 2015
119 posts
95 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I agree about the environment issues .. but the link doesn't say leak needs to fixed ? Am I missing something ?

We plan to replace the ac next year when covid19 is gone and perhaps government rebates ... Furnace was replaced 5 years ago ..

insertname2020 wrote: It is against the law to top off leakers in canada and is wrong - destroys the atmosphere.
It is not even a fix, just a very temporary cover up.
R22 is expensive, so is labor.

Refilling with R22 after fixing the leak is perfectly legal, but it is not worth the repair. (or really, the refrigerant alone)

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cl ... ctors.html
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
677 upvotes
GTA
Yes, technically that site says must be leaked tested, not fixed.
But it's just a summary and you would have to go back to the source laws.

The provinces have their own regulations, etc too.

The leak test costs money.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
I am not expecting new rebates next year on AC / Furnace but who knows. The govt promoted heat pumps and insulation this time and offered rebates. Its end of the season anyways so if it makes financial sense next year, it's easier to live without proper cooling for what ever days are left. Don't rush into any decision because of good deals that may end or price going up.
If you are certain that you will be moving out soon THAN it makes sense to have your A coil replaced if leaking. If its condenser, its not worth any repairs.
nbalacha wrote: I agree about the environment issues .. but the link doesn't say leak needs to fixed ? Am I missing something ?

We plan to replace the ac next year when covid19 is gone and perhaps government rebates ... Furnace was replaced 5 years ago ..
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1428 posts
431 upvotes
insertname2020 wrote: R22 is not made any more, but it is still available.

The equipment to recover 410a can also recover 22, technically they can recover and fix the leak and you can have it re-charged by a company that stocks R22.

This being said, a major leak repair is not worth it on a unit this age especially with r22 not being made any more and expensive.
It's most likely your indoor coil.

I would see if there's a way to get the money for the last year of protection plan back (since they can't deliver what was promised) and put the money towards a new a/c, ideally from a reputable independent contractor.

That doesn't sound very legal but i'm no lawyer. Probably just a lie.
Well said. I have heard many examples of clients with these protection plans that have not had repairs being covered.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
If Reliance wont help you then as already mentioned try to get some money back and cancel their plan as its not very good form what I have heard anyways.

Then you may want to cal lout another company (There are a few good ones on RFD) and get them to find the leak and give you a price to repair/top up Freon. With that information now you can make a proper decision on if its worth to repair or replace. Without that companies can throw out prices but nothing is for sure as it could be an easy fix or it could be an expensive one.
nbalacha wrote: I have 21 year old R-22 2.5 ton 4lbs lenox AC unit and found that it wasn't cooling enough. I had subscribe to reliance home comfort ac protection plan. I called them and they came and checked the AC low freeon pressure and showed me it was 44 kpi where they said it should be above 60 kpi if temperature is above 30C. He said if it gets to 32 kpi, then the unit will freeze. He also checked the capacitor and found the voltage to be working order. He said normally he would find/fix the leak ( approx $1000 ) and replace Freon ( $300 per pound r410 ) . Both will be covered under the protection plan.

He said since I have r22 and they don't have r22 only r410 , he can't fix it for me. He suggested that I call someone else or replace the AC unit. I asked if he could fix the leak, he said he couldn't since he would need to empty system of r22 and to put nitrogen to find/fix the leak and then put back new r22.

I called Reliance to enquire about protection plan having exclusion for r22 since it wasn't listed in the exclusion, they said that tech has their own list which isn't published. I asked them why i should continue on subscribing to AC protection plan since it doesn't cover R22, they said it will cover other stuff.

Are they allowed to get away from fixing the issue even though it isn't part of their exclusion ? https://reliancehomecomfort.com/wp-cont ... ection.pdf

How does one measure AC freeon pressure in R22 non-TXV unit ?
Mar 19, 2015
119 posts
95 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Thanks all for your feedback.

I still haven't had feedback if the tech measure the R22 left in NON-TXV R22 AC correctly ? sub-cooling or sub-heating method right ?

Once thing worries me is that I have to get another AC company to come in and check it again ? I still have to pay diagnostic fee ( $100 + ) ? I wish I can tell me them over phone issue and get the price before they come ? As most of you know, when you check Freon, you will lose a little as well in the pipes ..

Reliance is a big company and this issue is clearly their problem but they don't have any way for me to talk to upper management ? I have dealt with big companies and usually the higher you go, the more likely they want to settle it ? One thing I wished they would of done, it s fix the leak and then asked another AC contractor to come in to refill it with R22 and asked me to pay for the other contractor ..
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
well most good contractors can give you a price estimate of the repair however because you don't know where the leak is exactly or how bad it is the repair could be a few hundred to the leak cannot be repaired so you need to replace the part.

You can contact @newlyborn from Fair Deal Heating & Air Conditioning which is one of the recommended HVAC Companies on RFD and he can give you prices over the phone I'm sure However be aware that they are just estimates and if he was to go to your place to do the repair it could be low cost or could be very expensive as nobody will know 100% until they look and test properly. But at least you will know that you will be getting an honest, reliable opinion of the issue you have.
nbalacha wrote: Thanks all for your feedback.

I still haven't had feedback if the tech measure the R22 left in NON-TXV R22 AC correctly ? sub-cooling or sub-heating method right ?

Once thing worries me is that I have to get another AC company to come in and check it again ? I still have to pay diagnostic fee ( $100 + ) ? I wish I can tell me them over phone issue and get the price before they come ? As most of you know, when you check Freon, you will lose a little as well in the pipes ..

Reliance is a big company and this issue is clearly their problem but they don't have any way for me to talk to upper management ? I have dealt with big companies and usually the higher you go, the more likely they want to settle it ? One thing I wished they would of done, it s fix the leak and then asked another AC contractor to come in to refill it with R22 and asked me to pay for the other contractor ..
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1428 posts
431 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: At 21 yrs old....it is on it's last legs probably.

Call Reliance one last time and say if they don't want to top up/fix it you're terminating the protection plan effective immediately and then get a new AC unit. Get a confirmation # or record the call for your records.

Is your furnace also 20+ yrs old? Replace that at the same time.

Yes, I would not pay for a Reliance protection plan. Most repairs related to refrigeration leaks are not covered. (most costly repairs) If your furnace is still working you do not need to replace. Once the furnace stops producing heat I would replace it vs spending $ to repair.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
2089 posts
2090 upvotes
Durham Region
gr8dlr wrote: If OP is going to stay where he is ie not moving in the next 5 yr. Buy a new AC unit and get it installed.

If you plan on moving in the next couple of yrs, you can consider a rental AC.
Never consider a rental AC or furnace. It’s bad enough with the HWT rental scam
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
networksend wrote: Never consider a rental AC or furnace. It’s bad enough with the HWT rental scam
Yes but if you're going to move, the new owners will not give you more money for this... In fact many houses are bought to tear down so if you rent, you're only out a year or two of rental.

Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1428 posts
431 upvotes
networksend wrote: Never consider a rental AC or furnace. It’s bad enough with the HWT rental scam
I agree. Rentals are in most cases not good for the tropical homeowner, it’s the rental companies that benefit financially.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
2089 posts
2090 upvotes
Durham Region
gr8dlr wrote: Yes but if you're going to move, the new owners will not give you more money for this... In fact many houses are bought to tear down so if you rent, you're only out a year or two of rental.
Those contracts cost insane amounts, any smart potential home buyer would not want that written into sale agreement