• Sep 2nd, 2020 11:22 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10712 posts
999 upvotes
Vancouver

Home airflow - construction dirt?

I live in a townhouse and opening my back window + sliding door front window creates a nice refreshing breeze throughout the day. Problem is I am in a new development with new houses still being built, so I get an increased amount of dust/dirt that ends up coming through... including leaving my laptop on the couch and coming back to what seems like a bunch of sand on it.

Is there anything I could realistically do? Create a bit of a wall/diversion for the air? I imagine airflow wouldn't be as good... would some form of filter catch the construction dirt but still allow airflow? And not just get clogged super quick? Something else?
6 replies
Mar 20, 2018
99 posts
73 upvotes
Look into installing a Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV).
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1215 posts
619 upvotes
Oshawa
Install AC. Close windows and doors.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3538 posts
664 upvotes
I've got the same problem as you. We don't want to open the windows because the house will be filled with dust. But the house is so tight and it drives me insane to run the AC when it's 23.5-24 in the house and it's like 17 outside.
123jtl wrote: Look into installing a Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV).
I have one and while it brings new air in and gets rid of the old air (also helpful while cooking if the hood fan doesn't capture everything), the HRV is so efficient that it temperature of the outside air gets close to the inside temperature so it's not nearly the same effect as a breeze.
Feb 5, 2015
309 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
a window box fan will help not run the ac, have 2 windows open in the front, 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs, have the box fax blow air out the top floor window. will cause air to be drawn in from the lower window.
Jun 26, 2019
563 posts
450 upvotes
Call the City or Town and complain.

Get them to use more water trucks.

Other than that, there will probably be some dust, so probably best bet is still closing your window.

Diversion or something would reduce airflow and dirt probably about the same amount. Alternatively, you could open up some windows that are downwind of your house and put a fan near them to get some circulation that way. It may help....
Oct 22, 2002
142 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
This is the unfortunate reality of living in a new build. You have to live with the dust until the construction subsides.

If your window opening is small enough you could rig up some kind of frame to hold a furnace filter on the side the breeze is coming in.. and replace as necessary.