Computers & Electronics

Home audio system with Amazon Echo devices: Do I need EchoLink or Echo Link Amp?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 5:40 pm
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
628 posts
599 upvotes
Ontario

Home audio system with Amazon Echo devices: Do I need EchoLink or Echo Link Amp?

I'm trying to set up home audio system with Amazon Echo devices. It's a 2 story house. There are 6 speakers on the sealing, and 3 speakers on each floor. The previous owner seemed to have set up a complicated home audio system, but all I want to do is playing music with Alexa through all 6 speakers at the same time.

I already have 2 Echo devices, but there's no 3.5 mm cable in the compartment. Other than bunch of red and white cables which I assume they are speaker cables?, the closest audio cable I could find is this digital audio cable, but I haven't tested it yet since I don't have the right devices at the moment.

I did some research, and found out that I can't accomplish my goal only with 2 echo devices? I need to use Echo Link or Echo Link Amp? I've checked the information of both devices, and they both seem to have the same function I need, "Supports streaming from Amazon Music". If that's the case, I would like to buy Echo Link since it's cheaper, however, I just want to make sure if I'm getting it right.

Also i would like to know if there are other alternatives. I'm not trying to set up a home theater or anything. All I want to do is playing music with Alexa through All 6 speakers in upstairs and downstairs at once. Please let me know. Thanks.

20210818_193241.jpg
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3426 posts
2207 upvotes
Mississauga
testmann wrote: I'm trying to set up home audio system with Amazon Echo devices. It's a 2 story house. There are 6 speakers on the sealing, and 3 speakers on each floor. The previous owner seemed to have set up a complicated home audio system, but all I want to do is playing music with Alexa through all 6 speakers at the same time.

I already have 2 Echo devices, but there's no 3.5 mm cable in the compartment. Other than bunch of red and white cables which I assume they are speaker cables?, the closest audio cable I could find is this digital audio cable, but I haven't tested it yet since I don't have the right devices at the moment.

I did some research, and found out that I can't accomplish my goal only with 2 echo devices? I need to use Echo Link or Echo Link Amp? I've checked the information of both devices, and they both seem to have the same function I need, "Supports streaming from Amazon Music". If that's the case, I would like to buy Echo Link since it's cheaper, however, I just want to make sure if I'm getting it right.

Also i would like to know if there are other alternatives. I'm not trying to set up a home theater or anything. All I want to do is playing music with Alexa through All 6 speakers in upstairs and downstairs at once. Please let me know. Thanks.

20210818_193241.jpg
If the previous owner wired 6 speakers then I am assuming they terminated all those cables in one place. If this is the case, you can potentially get a cheap AVR and connect speakers to the AVR. The echo can then in turn connect to the AVR either by line out(aux) or by bluetooth.
I have a feeling that none of these 6 speakers are powered, so you would certainly need AVR to power them.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
628 posts
599 upvotes
Ontario
IndyBeak wrote: If the previous owner wired 6 speakers then I am assuming they terminated all those cables in one place. If this is the case, you can potentially get a cheap AVR and connect speakers to the AVR. The echo can then in turn connect to the AVR either by line out(aux) or by bluetooth.
I have a feeling that none of these 6 speakers are powered, so you would certainly need AVR to power them.
Thanks. I think you got it right. Any recommendation for cheap AVR?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3426 posts
2207 upvotes
Mississauga
Ok, so do not consider this as a product recommendation as I do not have any experience using them, but your setup would work something like this.
1. Echo will connect to the receiver using either bluetooth or line out. An example of a minimal stereo amp can be this.
https://www.amazon.ca/BT20A-Bluetooth-A ... B07BQC7GNL
There are products from known brands like Denon/ Onkyo etc as well, but price points would vary.
2. Since the amp would only have one set out output, i.e. left right stereo pair, you would need some sort of switch to branch it out further in multiple channels.
An example is this. https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/2 ... 32&sku=TS4
As you can see, it allows you to connect upto 8 speakers, i.e. 4 stereo pairs.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
628 posts
599 upvotes
Ontario
IndyBeak wrote: Ok, so do not consider this as a product recommendation as I do not have any experience using them, but your setup would work something like this.
1. Echo will connect to the receiver using either bluetooth or line out. An example of a minimal stereo amp can be this.
https://www.amazon.ca/BT20A-Bluetooth-A ... B07BQC7GNL
There are products from known brands like Denon/ Onkyo etc as well, but price points would vary.
2. Since the amp would only have one set out output, i.e. left right stereo pair, you would need some sort of switch to branch it out further in multiple channels.
An example is this. https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/2 ... 32&sku=TS4
As you can see, it allows you to connect upto 8 speakers, i.e. 4 stereo pairs.
These look good. I'll looking into those. Thanks. I forgot to ask about this. So there's also a coaxial digital audio cable as you can see it in the photo I attached. I haven't tested it yet since I don't have a proper device for it. Do you think it's possible that the coaxial digital audio cable is connected to all 6 speakers?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3426 posts
2207 upvotes
Mississauga
Is this coax cable in addition to the 6 cables. So total 7 cable ends? In that case it is unlikely that this one cable feeds everything.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
628 posts
599 upvotes
Ontario
IndyBeak wrote: Is this coax cable in addition to the 6 cables. So total 7 cable ends? In that case it is unlikely that this one cable feeds everything.
Thanks but I'm not too sure about that since I don't know much about this kind of thing. So there's a compartment that has a lot of cables coming through the hole such as bunch of white cables, lan cable, power cable, RCA cable for the areal, and coaxial digital audio cable. Hope this helps.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3426 posts
2207 upvotes
Mississauga
Post some photos of the how that box looks like so that someone here will try to figure out what all is there
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
628 posts
599 upvotes
Ontario
IndyBeak wrote: Post some photos of the how that box looks like so that someone here will try to figure out what all is there
I'll upload the photos later. I haven't I moved in yet. Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)