• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 6:19 pm
[OP]
Oct 21, 2003
792 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto

Home Automation System - Control4?

We are looking to get a new home automation system for a new home build.

We want to basically be able to control the lights, doorbell, garage, door locks, alarm, house speakers all from one centralized source using an APP, keypads and touch screens. Been leaning towards the Control4 system as it seems the best bang for your buck.

Anyone install a full Home Automation system in their home? Feedback? Can you recommend a good and affordable Home Automation installer?

Thanks
8 replies
Mar 5, 2015
229 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
It depends how tech savvy you are, but I would recommend home assistant as a hub. It integrates with many different services. I use it and it’s great. Very customizable and there is many videos on YouTube that help you set it up.

https://www.home-assistant.io/
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1484 posts
1001 upvotes
Longueuil
+1 Home Assistant
Local, free, always being updated... it cannot get better
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7226 posts
7724 upvotes
Vancouver
Never heard of Control4. Web site: https://www.control4.com/os3
Looks like they are offering professional "whole home" automation systems through local installers for people that don't mind paying more to get an integrated, professionally installed solution.

That's probably a good approach for some people. Probably not if you're a bargain-seeking RFD type, or like to tinker yourself.

Personally I think the issue is that the Home Automation market is just not sufficiently mature for this approach. It's not like you can install a quality pro system in your home and then sit back and enjoy it for the next 10-15 years. The quality and integration level of the current home automation products is a stinking pile of crap, and it's getting worse, not better. Nobody wants to play nice together, and several major companies are wrestling to seize control of the market and cut the others out. There are tons of new products and models every month, with old ones being abandoned and made obsolete or non-functional at the same pace. Almost every system has some level of dependence on outside internet services that may be lost at any time through events beyond your control. It's just not ready for a major commitment to a choice of configuration and equipment that you plan to use for many years.
Feb 14, 2012
105 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
@BartekD596 and @JEDI Force
What do you use to run HA ? Do you have Z-wave devices ? if yes what do you use as a Z wave antenna
Mar 5, 2015
229 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
I have a bunch of stuff all integrated. I try to stay local with my devices. I have mostly Wi-Fi switches (flashed with tasmota), but have a few zwave. Also sensors using esp8266 boards (door sensors, window sensors, temp, humidity). And cameras that are rtsp. All of it within home assistant. Works great

Oh about the antenna. I used a zwave dongle. USB one that connects to the computer home assistant is using.
Feb 14, 2012
105 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the response,

Do you mind me asking which USB zwave dongle ?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1484 posts
1001 upvotes
Longueuil
Megaxyu wrote: @BartekD596 and @JEDI Force
What do you use to run HA ? Do you have Z-wave devices ? if yes what do you use as a Z wave antenna
I use an old Acer Aspire (atom processor) that I used a long time ago to run Kodi/XBMC (https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/517 ... 82g-review).

Yes I decided to go with Z-Wave Plus but I could also add Zigbee stick if needed in the future. I avoid Wi-Fi for home automation because IMO Wi-Fi is not optimized for that and many devices that are on Wi-Fi "phone home" and/or require an internet access (temporary or permanent) to their server.

I have an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5.

I also have a Wyze antenna for Wyze sensors because they are cheap and reliable (I do not have the Wyze Camera, it is 100% local with a component added to Home Assistant, someone reversed engineered the device so it can be used without the Wyze hub and no internet access)
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Mar 5, 2015
229 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
I use the aeotec gen5 for my zwave devices. I only have 2 zwave switches, but I prefer the Wi-Fi ones. They are cheaper and especially if you flash them with tasmota, they cause very little traffic on your network. If you have a good router, Wi-Fi isn’t a problem. I have ~80 devices on my network, most of which are Wi-Fi and I don’t have a problem. It may be a problem if you are in a condo where there is lots of other devices in the area though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)