• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2019 5:54 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2016
211 posts
62 upvotes
mississauga

home&car insurance question

I have bought my car&home insurance combined.
last week, my car was broken in when parking in the drive way ,and I reported the lost of all my things to insurance company. the car was fine, no damage.
the insurance company said they will cover my retain value of lost items, subtract deductible value (1000$).
but they said I should check with agent, the claim may increase the insurance.
My question is, is it only increase the house insurance, or both car&house insurance, you know?
my home insurance is 190$/yr, do not know if it increase, will be how much. but it is nothing if the car insurance increase.
Would like to know before I discuss with agent.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2575 upvotes
Wouldn’t this be something your broker would be able to answer?

depending on your policy comprehensive auto insurance does not cover items stolen from your car, just for damage to the car.
Your home insurance policy may cover it depending on your policy of course.

Secondly who leaves that much in valuables in their car? And no damage at all???
I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re skeptical. I am
Last edited by Red_Army on May 24th, 2019 5:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2022 posts
160 upvotes
York Region
talmcgill wrote:
my home insurance is 190$/yr, do not know if it increase, will be how much. but it is nothing if the car insurance increase.
$190/yr home insurance?
Where can you get such a cheap price for your home insurance, please let us know?
Dec 28, 2010
637 posts
286 upvotes
It's just the car insurance that might be increased. Tell your agent though that you will shop for other insurance if that is the case. The product is insurance, not rate increase. Add up all the premium you paid by now to cover the $1000 theft...
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33287 posts
6969 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tsatsa wrote: $190/yr home insurance?
Where can you get such a cheap price for your home insurance, please let us know?
It costs more than that to insure a shed