• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2017 12:55 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2007
52 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

In home car repair

I was wondering if anybody used those mechanics who come to your home and diagnose/repair cars instead of towing it to the shop. I have a 97 toyota that is coming to an end and just wanted a rough estimate to see if was what worth repairing. I left the dome light on and car wouldn't start. I tried boosting with the help of a tow truck driver, didn't work, he said it was probably the starter. Just needed a second opinion. So many listed online but don't whose actually good. Thanks
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4582 posts
5469 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jack up the car(with proper safety precautions) and give the starter a few light whacks. Could help it start.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15139 posts
16126 upvotes
Oakville
It could be a severely depleted battery. I had a battery so dead that no amount of boosting would get it to turn over. Had to go buy a new one and car instantly started.
Take your battery to a parts store to test it.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1624 posts
1335 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Jack up the car(with proper safety precautions) and give the starter a few light whacks. Could help it start.
Bad advice. If its a permanent magnet starter motor, hitting it, even lightly, can crack it. Many starters even have warning stickers saying not to hit.

jabela wrote: It could be a severely depleted battery. I had a battery so dead that no amount of boosting would get it to turn over. Had to go buy a new one and car instantly started.
Good call.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4582 posts
5469 upvotes
Toronto, ON
billford wrote: Bad advice. If its a permanent magnet starter motor, hitting it, even lightly, can crack it. Many starters even have warning stickers saying not to hit.
Pffff... you have no idea what you're talking about.

If it's a bad starter, how much worse can you make it? This will at least get your car to start that time so you can drive it to the mechanic to get it replaced(if you don't want to DIY).

The reason it works is because starters fail often because the brushes fail. By tapping it, it nudges the brushes to make contact again.

Been doing it for years, I'd say it works 75% of the time for bad starters. I've also seen CAA drivers do the same. Talk to any mechanic and they'll probably tell you the same.

http://repairpal.com/vehicle-wont-crank ... tarter-959
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garage/diagnosis.htm
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1624 posts
1335 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Pffff... you have no idea what you're talking about.

If it's a bad starter, how much worse can you make it? This will at least get your car to start that time so you can drive it to the mechanic to get it replaced(if you don't want to DIY).

The reason it works is because starters fail often because the brushes fail. By tapping it, it nudges the brushes to make contact again.

Been doing it for years, I'd say it works 75% of the time for bad starters. I've also seen CAA drivers do the same. Talk to any mechanic and they'll probably tell you the same.

http://repairpal.com/vehicle-wont-crank ... tarter-959
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garage/diagnosis.htm
If its a good permanent magnet starter, then hitting it can crack a magnet and make it bad, so now you have an additional problem. That's why you find warning stickers on them. If its an old style with field coils, light tapping wont damage it.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1930 upvotes
markham
billford wrote: If its a good permanent magnet starter, then hitting it can crack a magnet and make it bad, so now you have an additional problem. That's why you find warning stickers on them. If its an old style with field coils, light tapping wont damage it.
you read too much and you fear and paranoia have set in...

first its 97...i dont think those starters existed then...second...i have reefed on starters my whole life...never once cracking one...and if it dont start after reefing on it (with good battery and connections) it needs replacing.

btw..if you couldn't boost but started when u changed battery...you never had a good connection or enough power in the first place.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2361 upvotes
jabela wrote: It could be a severely depleted battery. I had a battery so dead that no amount of boosting would get it to turn over. Had to go buy a new one and car instantly started.
I am very likely to believe this is much likely cause of your problem than a starter motor. With the very low temperatures the battery takes a punishment to start the engine.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8827 posts
1897 upvotes
London
peg_shopper wrote: I was wondering if anybody used those mechanics who come to your home and diagnose/repair cars instead of towing it to the shop. I have a 97 toyota that is coming to an end and just wanted a rough estimate to see if was what worth repairing. I left the dome light on and car wouldn't start. I tried boosting with the help of a tow truck driver, didn't work, he said it was probably the starter. Just needed a second opinion. So many listed online but don't whose actually good. Thanks
Don't use them, unless you know what is wrong and you have the parts and want them to install it for you. Still not much savings, find a fair shop and stay with them instead.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12038 posts
1878 upvotes
peg_shopper wrote: I was wondering if anybody used those mechanics who come to your home and diagnose/repair cars instead of towing it to the shop. I have a 97 toyota that is coming to an end and just wanted a rough estimate to see if was what worth repairing. I left the dome light on and car wouldn't start. I tried boosting with the help of a tow truck driver, didn't work, he said it was probably the starter. Just needed a second opinion. So many listed online but don't whose actually good. Thanks
tow truck diagnostic is close to internet diagnostic.............
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1624 posts
1335 upvotes
cardguy wrote: you read too much and you fear and paranoia have set in...

first its 97...i dont think those starters existed then...second...i have reefed on starters my whole life...never once cracking one...and if it dont start after reefing on it (with good battery and connections) it needs replacing.

btw..if you couldn't boost but started when u changed battery...you never had a good connection or enough power in the first place.
Permanent magnets have been around for quite a few years. Thats why they are so small as compared to the field coil type.

The Component Basics section will explain it better.

http://www.import-car.com/diagnostic-di ... -problems/

Just saying that if you know the starters the problem, then hit away. If your not sure, best not to hit it because it can cause an additional problem that wasn't there in the first place. Just my opinion...
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1930 upvotes
markham
billford wrote: Permanent magnets have been around for quite a few years. Thats why they are so small as compared to the field coil type.

The Component Basics section will explain it better.

http://www.import-car.com/diagnostic-di ... -problems/

Just saying that if you know the starters the problem, then hit away. If your not sure, best not to hit it because it can cause an additional problem that wasn't there in the first place. Just my opinion...
i see...i forget/assume that not everyone's (not meaning you) knowledge of cars is equal. working on cars all my life (and still now) i am never afraid to diagnose (especially no starts) and use many different methods to start a vehicle.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1213 upvotes
aGincourt
Another thing with a really dead battery is that the "safe" way to jumpstart a car, connect to the positive terminal and part of the cars body, might not be enough. Just connect positive to positive and negative to negative and it might jumpstart the car.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2007
52 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
er34er34 wrote: Jack up the car(with proper safety precautions) and give the starter a few light whacks. Could help it start.
Funny you mentioned that, the tow truck driver went under and gave it few wacks but no luck!

Yeah that's probably what I'm going to do, thanks. Forgot to mention there was a huge amount of corrosion on the red lead. I cleaned and scraped but didn't remove the lead before boosting.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8827 posts
1897 upvotes
London
Check battery red terminal with a voltmeter to see if conductivity is affected by corrosion.