• Feb 19th, 2018 11:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1207 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto

Home charging station for volt?

Just recently purchased volt car will getting next week.

I do have 12v outlet outside my house.

How do I go about installing home charger? How much would it cost me?

Do I need some converter that can convert the charging cable (car cable) to connec to the house outlet?

Is this something that needs to be certified and tested?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4449 posts
3414 upvotes
Ottawa
ysl5710 wrote: Just recently purchased volt car will getting next week.

I do have 12v outlet outside my house.

How do I go about installing home charger? How much would it cost me?

Do I need some converter that can convert the charging cable (car cable) to connec to the house outlet?

Is this something that needs to be certified and tested?
There is a multitude of other threads for you to search and learn from. You can probably get away with 120volt if you wanted to as the volt battery isn't overly large or get a faster charging charger which could require electrical work which could require inspection.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1207 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
I read to get the level 2 charger installed is about 2000$ and you get 50% off rebate. comes to $1000 to get it installed. is this correct?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
1280 posts
1263 upvotes
A Fool and His Money Are Soon Parted
Don't bother with rebates. Find an electrician to install NEMA 14-50 receptacle, common use for electric stoves, in your garage, ($200 with parts and labour), and get portable L2 charger, around $500.

I also admire people, who is spending between $40k and $100k, and have no idea how are they gonna be charging their EV.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25190 posts
3099 upvotes
Montreal
ysl5710 wrote: I read to get the level 2 charger installed is about 2000$ and you get 50% off rebate. comes to $1000 to get it installed. is this correct?
My cost was much cheaper. My install was 600$. The charger was 750$

Btw the volt charger actually works on 220v. If you have a 220 outlet somewhere it can be modded.

I suggest you get an L2 charger if you do a lot of short trips. You can then charge quickly between errands. L1 is fine for overnight charging only. Beware that the car will draw 8 or 12 amps on a continuous load via the 120v outlet. That circuit can't be supplying much else. If you plug in a mower it will blow the fuse.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15316 posts
12772 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mr_raider wrote: My cost was much cheaper. My install was 600$. The charger was 750$

Btw the volt charger actually works on 220v. If you have a 220 outlet somewhere it can be modded.

I suggest you get an L2 charger if you do a lot of short trips. You can then charge quickly between errands. L1 is fine for overnight charging only. Beware that the car will draw 8 or 12 amps on a continuous load via the 120v outlet. That circuit can't be supplying much else. If you plug in a mower it will blow the fuse.
Never mind the mower, can't even run the central vac at the same time while the car is plugged into the same circuit. L2 is so worth it. My end cost in 2014 after rebate was $500. Install was $350 and the charger around 650 after tax.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1579 posts
1396 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote: Don't bother with rebates. Find an electrician to install NEMA 14-50 receptacle, common use for electric stoves, in your garage, ($200 with parts and labour), and get portable L2 charger, around $500.

I also admire people, who is spending between $40k and $100k, and have no idea how are they gonna be charging their EV.
He/she should still be applying for the rebates.. it’s 50% of the cost for install and unit up to $500 each. Even if the total for both comes to $1000, he’ll be looking at $500 back from the gov.

Do you have any links for the charger you purchased?

My tips would be as follows (picking up my Prius Prime the first week of March);

1. Cost for install of your 220v socket will vary considerably based on a) where you want the receptacle and b) the location of your electrical box

2. Try to avoid adding a hard wired charger (tied in to the electrical box directly). It seems more advisable to add the 220v plug and buy an external unit that plugs into it

3. If you’re planning to use the rebates, make sure you consult the listing of approved units and you follow the guidelines when selecting an electrician to install. Electrician with no license = no rebate
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25190 posts
3099 upvotes
Montreal
Why not post in the EV thread? This has been hashed and re-hashed several times over, and most people can advise you on what charger to buyz?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)