Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] 149$ Milwaukee M12 FUEL - free battery with select purchase

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2019 12:36 pm
Sep 15, 2015
228 posts
122 upvotes
Why not just get a 20V dewalt for the same price?
Jan 18, 2017
183 posts
131 upvotes
does this hammer drill have the option to go into a non hammer status?? Total newbie tool guy here

Also can someone explain the difference between having a hammer drill vs impact and why somebody would need either on or the other? Watched some youtube and still don't get it..just really to need this around the house and cottage..
Jun 6, 2010
171 posts
50 upvotes
Winnipeg
bpopman67 wrote: does this hammer drill have the option to go into a non hammer status?? Total newbie tool guy here

Also can someone explain the difference between having a hammer drill vs impact and why somebody would need either on or the other? Watched some youtube and still don't get it..just really to need this around the house and cottage..
Yes hammer drill has 3 modes, drill, hammer and clutched (for screwing).

Hammer drill is a regular drill for drilling holes, has a clutch to reduce torque when driving screws, and adds the hammer mode. The hammer mode is for drilling concrete, it 'hammers' the bit in and out to help it go thru.

The impact driver is for driving screws, you can also use it for drilling but you are limited to a 1/4" hex shanked bit. Impact driver will hammer the fastener clockwise or anti-clockwise to help drive it deeper. It makes it faster to drive long screws into wood.

Both have their purpose and use case.
Jan 18, 2017
183 posts
131 upvotes
Bonder wrote: Yes hammer drill has 3 modes, drill, hammer and clutched (for screwing).

Hammer drill is a regular drill for drilling holes, has a clutch to reduce torque when driving screws, and adds the hammer mode. The hammer mode is for drilling concrete, it 'hammers' the bit in and out to help it go thru.

The impact driver is for driving screws, you can also use it for drilling but you are limited to a 1/4" hex shanked bit. Impact driver will hammer the fastener clockwise or anti-clockwise to help drive it deeper. It makes it faster to drive long screws into wood.

Both have their purpose and use case.
So if you had to pick one which one could potentially do both? Hammer or impact?

Sounds like I have more options with the hammer?
Sep 15, 2015
228 posts
122 upvotes
bpopman67 wrote: So if you had to pick one which one could potentially do both? Hammer or impact?

The drill will drill better and the impact will screw better but both tools will drill and screw. The impact can fit in tighter spots and makes screwing easier so it's a better tool for around the house. Also the impact has a quick release chuck which allows you to quickly pop in and out bits while the drill has a regular chuck which requires tightening every time you want to switch bits. However, the drill's hammering option makes it possible to drill into stone/concrete/brick which the impact cannot do. For this reason, the drill is a better choice if you need a single tool for around the house.

Though, if you don't ever see yourself drilling into concrete/brick/stone the get the impact. It's much more convenient to use around the house.
Last edited by boqbal on Oct 3rd, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 6, 2010
171 posts
50 upvotes
Winnipeg
bpopman67 wrote: So if you had to pick one which one could potentially do both? Hammer or impact?

For me, I do more screwing so the impact is of more use, and my go to tool. But I have the hammer drill and the screwdriver as well. So really I might not be the best person :)

You would have to decide what you are going to be doing more of. That gen 2 impact is a nice tool, if you are never going to drill concrete, that and the fuel screwdriver would be my purchase recommendations.
Aug 26, 2019
12 posts
34 upvotes
boqbal wrote: Why not just get a 20V dewalt for the same price?
First things first; all 20v tools are actually still 18v tools... the 20v is a bogus "max" voltage number when there is no load on the system. Most 18v/20v batteries measure as high as that, if not higher, when not being used by a tool.

From Dewalt's Product page: (https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-t ... h/dcf885c2)

"* Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18."

The 12v Fuel tools are IME just as capable for most jobs when comparing them to other 18v tools. I started with buying an 18v kit, drill/impact which came with a dual charger, and have slowly added to the Milwaukee ecosystem. It's more beneficial for most people to stick with one brand to keep the number of chargers and different kinds of batteries to a minimum. Not to mention the Team Red tools are phenomenal in their own right. I've burned through several Dewalt tools in the one lifetime of my OG 12v Milwaulkee drill. It all depends on your experience with the brand your familar with.
Sep 15, 2015
228 posts
122 upvotes
RussellJ31633 wrote: First things first; all 20v tools are actually still 18v tools... the 20v is a bogus "max" voltage number when there is no load on the system. Most 18v/20v batteries measure as high as that, if not higher, when not being used by a tool.

From Dewalt's Product page: (https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-t ... h/dcf885c2)

"* Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18."

The 12v Fuel tools are IME just as capable for most jobs when comparing them to other 18v tools. I started with buying an 18v kit, drill/impact which came with a dual charger, and have slowly added to the Milwaukee ecosystem. It's more beneficial for most people to stick with one brand to keep the number of chargers and different kinds of batteries to a minimum. Not to mention the Team Red tools are phenomenal in their own right. I've burned through several Dewalt tools in the one lifetime of my OG 12v Milwaulkee drill. It all depends on your experience with the brand your familar with.
I don't have either dewalt or milwaukee but I'm trying to figure which to buy. Besides the potential longevity of the milwauke tool, I don't understand why they charge more than dewalt and why people are willing to pay that. Unless truly the milwaukee is a superior tool, I see no reason to buy a weaker milwaukee over a dewalt for the same price.
Jun 6, 2010
171 posts
50 upvotes
Winnipeg
M12 Fuel => M18 brushed

But lighter and more compact. Trust me, it matters.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2495 posts
2458 upvotes
Vancouver
boqbal wrote: I don't have either dewalt or milwaukee but I'm trying to figure which to buy. Besides the potential longevity of the milwauke tool, I don't understand why they charge more than dewalt and why people are willing to pay that. Unless truly the milwaukee is a superior tool, I see no reason to buy a weaker milwaukee over a dewalt for the same price.

End of test: DeWalt is a smoking ruin, Milwaukee still fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2495 posts
2458 upvotes
Vancouver

If you have to choose one or the other, I think the drill/driver is more flexible than the impact driver. I have M12 drill/driver and impact driver, and personally I never use the impact driver. I know some people use it more, but even for driving screws I find the drill/driver more convenient. I also have a bigger and more powerful 18v hammer drill, but I use it only rarely on really heavy-duty jobs. Almost all of the time the lighter and more compact M12 drill/driver is just more convenient.
Jun 6, 2010
171 posts
50 upvotes
Winnipeg
I noticed in the flyer it shows that the 3ah battery is part of the promo, but the website shows the 3 and 6.

Now almost all the stores around me don't have the 6 in stock. Anyone finding stock on the 6 in their area?
Dec 4, 2008
84 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
thanks op, now i have a 6.0 battery for my stubby.