Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] 24.88 Milwaukee Tool Shockwave Impact Bit Set (24-Piece) no shorties

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 10:20 am
May 10, 2016
258 posts
292 upvotes
roadtoy wrote: Great video of you have time to kill and interested in some Canadian history on the invention of the Robertson.

He might know his history but whoever took that thumbnail photo doesn't know how to pick the right screwdriver. It's at least a size too small for the screw.

Also, these Milwaukee bits don't have the best reputation for durability. They're fine for homeowners I guess but they don't have the same quality as their power tools.
Jan 27, 2010
175 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
throbbingdeal wrote: Quick FIY:

Milwaukee makes great tools. But their bits (not including drilling bits) are total and utter garbage. It isn't a matter of tradeoff or workload, It's an actual DO NOT BUY when it comes to these.

I cannot speak for their drilling bits though.
Solarisphere wrote: He might know his history but whoever took that thumbnail photo doesn't know how to pick the right screwdriver. It's at least a size too small for the screw.

Also, these Milwaukee bits don't have the best reputation for durability. They're fine for homeowners I guess but they don't have the same quality as their power tools.
Which is the brand you suggest for drill & driver bits? Bosch?

I’d prefer to invest in bits that I won’t have to replace for a long time
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2257 posts
2151 upvotes
Montreal
CamGuy85 wrote: Which is the brand you suggest for drill & driver bits? Bosch?

I’d prefer to invest in bits that I won’t have to replace for a long time
This is BS. The Milwaukee Shockwave are very well rated. You could also go for Makita Gold if you are rich.

I have Milwaukee Shockwave and they last for a very long time. And if you are a DIY, they will last a life time as long as you don't slip all the time (just like any other bit really)

Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1132 posts
806 upvotes
likebutta wrote: Just be aware that if it isn't a Robertson, it isn't actually a 'Robertson'. All other companies may squares which are slightly different and some of them are prone to rounded.
Upvote this 100%. Bought some Dewalt "square" bits, and the damn thing brand new out of the packaging doesn't even friction hold the Robertson screw.
Milwaukee bits on the other hand have been awesome for me.
Jun 21, 2009
137 posts
97 upvotes
dingmah wrote: Upvote this 100%. Bought some Dewalt "square" bits, and the damn thing brand new out of the packaging doesn't even friction hold the Robertson screw.
Milwaukee bits on the other hand have been awesome for me.
I just built a composite deck that used T25 torx for all the screws.
I broke 10+ milwaukee bits. Total garbage.

Ended up bying some Bosch T25 bits and haven't broke one yet.
Feb 2, 2015
411 posts
603 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Redgugu wrote: Which of these two will be better?
You can't go wrong with either of these sets. Both are good quality drill bits. The kit with only 14 has Thunderbolt technology which Milwaukee claims makes it longer lasting. The other kit with 23 in addition to having more sizes available also has the option of being used in an impact driver. I'd give the edge to having more sizes and the versatility of the 23 bit set
Oct 23, 2005
592 posts
192 upvotes
Please accept the fact that these bit are more or less disposable product. The bit would round after its limited of use.
Jan 2, 2020
48 posts
39 upvotes
ajdeals wrote: You can't go wrong with either of these sets. Both are good quality drill bits. The kit with only 14 has Thunderbolt technology which Milwaukee claims makes it longer lasting. The other kit with 23 in addition to having more sizes available also has the option of being used in an impact driver. I'd give the edge to having more sizes and the versatility of the 23 bit set
Thank you. Picked up the 23 impact.
May 10, 2016
258 posts
292 upvotes
SquadG wrote: This is BS. The Milwaukee Shockwave are very well rated. You could also go for Makita Gold if you are rich.

I have Milwaukee Shockwave and they last for a very long time. And if you are a DIY, they will last a life time as long as you don't slip all the time (just like any other bit really)

Sure, all the tool reviewers tend to love them, but then what tool don't they love? If you try searching Reddit for reviews from real people you'll find they're very poorly regarded. Going through those search results from top to bottom, here's what I found on the Milwaukee bits (ie. I'm not cherry picking bad reviews):
I've had no luck with Milwaukee driver bits. Very chowdery.
Second the Makita gold bits.. Lasted longer than Milwaukee.
I hear from pretty much everyone that the Milwaukee driver bits suck.
Makita's bits are waaaaayyyy better than milwaukees or dewalts.
I've had Milwaukee shockwave Dewalt flextorq and makita gold. Makita makes best bits hands dowm. Milwaukee shockwave is trash and Dewalt is okay but won't handle impact torque like makitas
Milwaukee are not good, but are often on deep sale at Home Despot so are okay for value. Just churn through them on non-critical jobs.
It depends on operating conditions. Milwaukee's don't fit well and most are warped so they act like a mortar and pestle in the screw head, leading to excessive wear no matter what you do.
Yep Milwaukee accessories are kinda crap.
Ya, the only bits worse than those Milwaukee bits are the older generation of Milwaukee bits.
Agreed, not a fan of my Milwaukee bits.
DeWalt, Makita gold and milwaukee and irwin all suck ass.. sometimes you get a few that last forever.
(This one is the only negative mention I found of the Makita Gold bits)
It's accepted around here that Milwaukee Shockwave bits are god awful, and the DeWalt flex torque or something are serviceable.
And I thought I was being smart buying a set of Milwaukee Shockwave bits while they were on sale, but it turns out they are almost the worse value. But maybe not terrible at the sale price I paid.
I just bought the new and improved Milwaukee Shockwave bit set. I've got a heavy job that will demand strength from the P2 bit. I'll report back once I'm through. I snapped two bits taking out the screws, (titan).

EDIT- these are great! Stood up to 100 screw installs with very little slippage with my high power air drill.
This is first positive review I've found of Milwaukee bits.
Yeah I’ve had the shockwave bits, and they’re awful. Wouldn’t buy ever again
I love milwaukee but the bits suck, hilti is the best but $$$. Makita is a great choice for price vs quality
Milwaukee accessories suck. It's a fact of life.
The bosch bits resist rounding really well but occasionally snap in an impact. Still light years ahead of Milwaukee.
Milwaukee bits are trash.
I have a pack of short Pz2 shockwaves and they have resisted rounding rather impressively… sadly all 4 main flanges sheared off completely
If I'm generous, this is the second positive review.

I'll stop here but it keeps going. So no, it's not BS. They're not good bits.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2257 posts
2151 upvotes
Montreal
Solarisphere wrote: Sure, all the tool reviewers tend to love them, but then what tool don't they love? If you try searching Reddit for reviews from real people you'll find they're very poorly regarded. Going through those search results from top to bottom, here's what I found on the Milwaukee bits (ie. I'm not cherry picking bad reviews):

(This one is the only negative mention I found of the Makita Gold bits)

This is first positive review I've found of Milwaukee bits.

If I'm generous, this is the second positive review.

I'll stop here but it keeps going. So no, it's not BS. They're not good bits.
This is a nice list of comments indeed but I use them daily and they work for me really nice. They almost never slip and I can drive thousands of screw using only 1 bit.
Jan 13, 2012
367 posts
388 upvotes
Vancouver
crane007 wrote: I just built a composite deck that used T25 torx for all the screws.
I broke 10+ milwaukee bits. Total garbage.

Ended up bying some Bosch T25 bits and haven't broke one yet.
What kind of monster decided that was a good idea?
Feb 20, 2008
372 posts
458 upvotes
chris5555 wrote: What kind of monster decided that was a good idea?

I believe there's a Torx Circle in Hell, where you spend your days trying to remove rounded Torx screws.....
Jan 22, 2019
298 posts
224 upvotes
chris5555 wrote: What kind of monster decided that was a good idea?
My whole deck is built using T15 Torx screws. They're part of the Camo system. I absolutely loved it. The hidden screw system worked great and I literally drove 1750 screws using only one T15 bit and not once did any of them strip.

I find Torx to be a lot more reliable and harder to strip then others. When I work on German vehicles with Torx nuts and bolts, they never strip.
Mar 11, 2019
60 posts
57 upvotes
Make sure to check the date of posts hating on Milwaukee bits as Milwaukee has apparently updated their Shockwave bits since 2019 with a new "wear guard tip". I don't know if this has actually made them any better though.