Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] $249 - Milwaukee Brushless Hammer Drill / Impact Driver, 3 Batteries

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 1:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
6516 posts
4527 upvotes
Kitchener

[Home Depot] $249 - Milwaukee Brushless Hammer Drill / Impact Driver, 3 Batteries

Seemed like a pretty good deal, saw this evening at Kitchener East Home Depot. Had about 6 in stock.

Brushless, but not labeled as Fuel. Seems a bit curious.

Might also qualify for a bonus battery, but not sure. I would have bought, but already have way too many Milwaukee tools.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by Rob_EV on Oct 16th, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Mar 7, 2017
672 posts
323 upvotes
Ham, ON
If these sets were the same price (and both only came with 2 batteries), which one would be better? I don't know enough about power tools/their reputation to know which brand/tool will be tougher and last longer in the long run. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01A08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Seem to both have 2x 2ah batteries, and are both brushless.

It appears the Milwaukee is a hammer drill. Does anyone have any experience/insight here?
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1717 posts
240 upvotes
Winnipeg
DealFixation wrote: If these sets were the same price (and both only came with 2 batteries), which one would be better? I don't know enough about power tools/their reputation to know which brand/tool will be tougher and last longer in the long run. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01A08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Seem to both have 2x 2ah batteries, and are both brushless.

It appears the Milwaukee is a hammer drill. Does anyone have any experience/insight here?
With the Milwaukee you would get a third battery.

The DeWalt drill is their top of the line compact drill.

The hammer drill has a hammer function so you can drill into concrete. If you occasionally have to drill or it's a light job it will work.

It would also depend if you're going to get other cordless tools, so you can use the batteries.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
IntrepidRT wrote: Brushless, but not labeled as Fuel. Seems a bit curious.
Correct. Milwaukee has a new line of brushless tools with smaller, less powerful motors than the Fuel models, not the same as the brushed-motor models. They are optimized for longer battery life, smaller size, and less weight rather than ultimate power.

See http://www.coptool.com/milwaukee-m18-co ... brushless/
Mar 7, 2017
672 posts
323 upvotes
Ham, ON
ragin_pyro wrote: With the Milwaukee you would get a third battery.

The DeWalt drill is their top of the line compact drill.

The hammer drill has a hammer function so you can drill into concrete. If you occasionally have to drill or it's a light job it will work.

It would also depend if you're going to get other cordless tools, so you can use the batteries.
Thanks for the info. I bought the Dewalt kit yesterday on Amazon as the price momentarily dropped to $200 for the kit I linked. I was debating returning it because I bought more on an impulse and didn't do proper research. Is there a flat out better Drill/Impact driver kit than this on the market right now aside from the Hiltis?
Nov 3, 2010
208 posts
300 upvotes
Niagara Falls
DealFixation wrote: Thanks for the info. I bought the Dewalt kit yesterday on Amazon as the price momentarily dropped to $200 for the kit I linked. I was debating returning it because I bought more on an impulse and didn't do proper research. Is there a flat out better Drill/Impact driver kit than this on the market right now aside from the Hiltis?
https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCK299M2-L ... rds=DCD996

What you want is the DCD996 hammer drill, either by itself or with the kit ( I linked it ).
DeWalt makes a lot of kits, so I can understand the confusion, but I've used most of all of the drills, and the smaller ones (especially the non-hammer drills) are like children's toys compared to this.
My buddy is an electrician and we use his tools a lot on the job, most of which are the 20v max line and they are way better than the 18v stuff, or cheaper non-hammer variant of the 20v.
Mar 1, 2017
322 posts
105 upvotes
Dewalt kit you linked on amazon is not a hammer drill. The Milwaukee does come with a free battery at Home Depot - and their ridiculous return policy.

Both are excellent sets - I bought the Milwaukee because it had a hammer drill and was cheaper than the dewalt kit (with hammer drill)

I believe both are similar quality and both are brushless, which means the battery lasts way longer. I preferred the dewalt impact - but not enough to pay more.

DealFixation wrote: Thanks for the info. I bought the Dewalt kit yesterday on Amazon as the price momentarily dropped to $200 for the kit I linked. I was debating returning it because I bought more on an impulse and didn't do proper research. Is there a flat out better Drill/Impact driver kit than this on the market right now aside from the Hiltis?
Mar 1, 2017
322 posts
105 upvotes
20v max or 20v max XR? The XR is their brushless line.

The 20v is exactly the same voltage as 18v (and is marked as such on packaging). It's just marketing.

Edit: the OP was going to buy a non-hammer drill. Why would he then need the DCD996? Better off spending a little less money on either the 796 or non fuel brushless Milwaukee IMO.
thatsnasty wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCK299M2-L ... rds=DCD996

What you want is the DCD996 hammer drill, either by itself or with the kit ( I linked it ).
DeWalt makes a lot of kits, so I can understand the confusion, but I've used most of all of the drills, and the smaller ones (especially the non-hammer drills) are like children's toys compared to this.
My buddy is an electrician and we use his tools a lot on the job, most of which are the 20v max line and they are way better than the 18v stuff, or cheaper non-hammer variant of the 20v.
Nov 3, 2010
208 posts
300 upvotes
Niagara Falls
mikefly wrote: 20v max or 20v max XR? The XR is their brushless line.

The 20v is exactly the same voltage as 18v (and is marked as such on packaging). It's just marketing.
XR is the "rugged" version of their tools. They're usually heavier or metal instead of all plastic. They make brushless tools that aren't XR, and you don't really "need" XR.
I'm not talking about 18v vs 20v power, 18v DeWalt is ni-cad vs 20v which is lithum ion. LI is the superior battery tech.

I'm also not saying DW is the be-all end-all. My buddy was also saying that a couple of the 18v drills by Milwaukee or Makita actually have as much or more power than the DCD996 from DeWalt, but if you want the best from the 20v line that can actually drill concrete, you want that one.

Edit: I agree, if you aren't gunna use the hammer, this is all irrelevant. Buy whatever is cheapest for what you want. But he asked what the better kit was, and the one I linked was basically their "best". If you can find it on sale, I'd spend the extra little bit and get the hammer drill.
Last edited by thatsnasty on Oct 16th, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 30, 2008
63 posts
28 upvotes
I got this pack 4 years ago and beat the living shit out of them. Still work like new its quite amazing
Mar 7, 2017
672 posts
323 upvotes
Ham, ON
thatsnasty wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCK299M2-L ... rds=DCD996

Thanks for the info. Seems this kit was 225 last year during Christmas. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... 9-2068526/
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
6516 posts
4527 upvotes
Kitchener
LOL at the Dewalt 20V BS.......they've been tested to be lower voltage than the 18V Milwaukee drills. Just marketing fabricated lies about the battery voltage. The Milwaukee drills are generally heavier duty and more powerful when you compare the same lines of tools.

Many people are pretty stupid when it comes to branding and the truth is that 20V Max DeWalt tools are no more powerful than 18V tools of any other brand. There's a reason DeWalt is ONLY allowed to get away with their BS branding in North America, everywhere else there are laws against how DeWalt brands their tools (false advertising laws).

Get educated:
http://toolguyd.com/dewalt-20v-max-18v/
Last edited by Rob_EV on Oct 16th, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 1, 2017
322 posts
105 upvotes
I think you are clarifying - for dewalt - 18v is nicad, 20v is lion. LiOn is definitely better. All other brands have 18v for their lines. Did not realize that dewalt had non XR brushless. The price point must be very close.

I've just spent a ridiculous amount of time comparing and trying many of these drills so have a fair amount of insight right now. For an average home user (which I am, and I am pretty sure OP is) the top of the line hammer drill is overkill. I've used both the Milwaukee and dewalt slightly less than best - and they are amazing.
thatsnasty wrote: XR is the "rugged" version of their tools. They're usually heavier or metal instead of all plastic. They make brushless tools that aren't XR, and you don't really "need" XR.
I'm not talking about 18v vs 20v power, 18v DeWalt is ni-cad vs 20v which is lithum ion. LI is the superior battery tech.

I'm also not saying DW is the be-all end-all. My buddy was also saying that a couple of the 18v drills by Milwaukee or Makita actually have as much or more power than the DCD996 from DeWalt, but if you want the best from the 20v line that can actually drill concrete, you want that one.

Edit: I agree, if you aren't gunna use the hammer, this is all irrelevant. Buy whatever is cheapest for what you want. But he asked what the better kit was, and the one I linked was basically their "best". If you can find it on sale, I'd spend the extra little bit and get the hammer drill.
Nov 3, 2010
208 posts
300 upvotes
Niagara Falls
IntrepidRT wrote: LOL at the Dewalt 20V BS.......they've been tested to be lower voltage than the 18V Milwaukee drills. Just marketing fabricated lies about the battery voltage. The Milwaukee drills are generally heavier duty and more powerful when you compare the same lines of tools.
Did you even read my post? I already said it's known that Milwaukee has powerful drills in the 18v line that are more powerful than DeWalts 20v DCD996. This isn't a pissing match and the high end hammer drills from both companies are solid performers.
It the end, people will buy what they want, and what they already have batteries for.
mikefly wrote: I think you are clarifying - for dewalt - 18v is nicad, 20v is lion. LiOn is definitely better. All other brands have 18v for their lines. Did not realize that dewalt had non XR brushless. The price point must be very close.

I've just spent a ridiculous amount of time comparing and trying many of these drills so have a fair amount of insight right now. For an average home user (which I am, and I am pretty sure OP is) the top of the line hammer drill is overkill. I've used both the Milwaukee and dewalt slightly less than best - and they are amazing.
You and me both, but I think we are more or less agreeing with each-other.
I think the real winner would be finding the kit on sale again like last year's black friday. It would be extremely hard to beat at that price point.