[Home Depot] 98$ RIDGID Gen5x 18V Lithium-Ion Brushless Impact with 2 batteries

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2019 1:52 pm
[OP]
Feb 26, 2017
16 posts
28 upvotes

[Home Depot] 98$ RIDGID Gen5x 18V Lithium-Ion Brushless Impact with 2 batteries

You can register it and get lifetime on 2 batteries plus tool and charger.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1001127867
63 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2339 posts
3093 upvotes
Langley, BC
Ridgid is just the fancier Ryobi right?

only 1.5Ah batteries, damn
Last edited by steven80 on May 31st, 2019 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2017
16 posts
28 upvotes
I don't think homedepot owns any of them.

From what I gather

Ridgid (by Emerson) - (exclusive contract from TTI for Home Depot)
TTI is the parent company of Ryobi and One World Technologies (OWT).

that being said, ridgid tools do seem more robust.

The reality is that the best thing about them in these types of kits is the fact that, when registered, you get lifetime battery replacement. (which I've already used 2).
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2094 posts
217 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
steven80 wrote:
May 31st, 2019 10:03 am
Ridgit is just the fancier Ryobi right? I was told by a HD employee that HD owns both brands.

only 1.5Ah batteries, damn
The Ryobi Tools brand in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand is owned by Techtronic Industries of Hong Kong, an original equipment manufacturer for brands such as Craftsman, Milwaukee, AEG (AEG Powertools, licensed from Electrolux), Ryobi, Homelite, Hoover US, Dirt Devil, and Vax. Around 1988, Ryobi purchased the assets of the former Diehl Motor Company (a one-time division of Singer Corporation), which was the supplier of Sears Craftsman hand-held power tools. After the purchase, Ryobi continued to supply Sears with power tools. These tools typically had a model number beginning with "315" or "973".

In the United States and Canada, Ryobi power tools are sold primarily through Home Depot and the Internet. In Australia and New Zealand the line is sold exclusively by Bunnings Warehouse. In the UK the power tools are sold at hardware stores.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryobi
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2094 posts
217 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
quatro4u2 wrote:
May 31st, 2019 10:12 am
I don't think homedepot owns any of them.

From what I gather

Ridgid (by Emerson) - (exclusive contract from TTI for Home Depot)
TTI is the parent company of Ryobi and One World Technologies (OWT).

that being said, ridgid tools do seem more robust.

The reality is that the best thing about them in these types of kits is the fact that, when registered, you get lifetime battery replacement. (which I've already used 2).
This kit is great price. The extra battery is nice as well. Even at 1.5Ah these batteries last longer then their competitors. I've used every brand, and the only one that holds a candle anywhere close to Ridgid is Milwaukee.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2339 posts
3093 upvotes
Langley, BC
ok, thanks for clarifying! :)
Jun 27, 2013
301 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
I have rigids 1/2" hog ring design impact wrench, it's good but was not compatible with Canadian tire maximum chrome sockets (even though you're supposed to use impact based sockets)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2009
1136 posts
259 upvotes
Burlington
If I didn't already have an old Ridgid impact that still works great I'd be all over this. Still kinda tempting but I don't really need it.

Hoping when my (now 10 year old) impact dies in the future I can get it replaced under the lifetime warranty with a newer / more powerful one like this :)
Sep 18, 2006
425 posts
21 upvotes
Phantasm wrote:
May 31st, 2019 11:10 am
If I didn't already have an old Ridgid impact that still works great I'd be all over this. Still kinda tempting but I don't really need it.

Hoping when my (now 10 year old) impact dies in the future I can get it replaced under the lifetime warranty with a newer / more powerful one like this :)
Yup, you will. My batteries were all replaced with the newer versions.
Casual Trader
Heatware: 3-0
BMWWW
Mar 6, 2005
582 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
This model have no LED? or maybe it is the older model with the LED at the bottom of the handle?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2658 posts
970 upvotes
I was hoping it might be the impact wrench. Still a very good deal though. Maybe add the word 'driver' to the title.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1632 posts
997 upvotes
Comparing to the other sets isn't this just regular price?
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1417 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Will be returning the Dewalt combo that was on sale recently ($161.10 price match with HD).
This driver is actually stronger (2250in-lb vs 1825in-lb) than the Dewalt 20V XR
Oct 6, 2003
79 posts
19 upvotes
The best part is if your battery dies all you have to do is to call and you get replacement shipped. Just make sure you register and get customer number. I have replaced both batteries for my old tool already. Very easy process now.