• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2021 4:06 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10810 posts
3198 upvotes
Winnipeg
gofishsean wrote: Super close to hitting submit on the order.. then went back into my Amazon to see I grabbed one for $35 (I know no time machine), but still. I do think this device is getting long in the tooth and would expect Amazon to refresh it, that's the real reason I didn't trigger. As an aside, my current heavily modded stick is getting really flakey, I've side loaded stuff and set up a memory stick for expansion, but my Kodi library eats up so much space and you can't delete Amazon's bloatware, the memory just isn't sufficient, I suspect/hope they'll add more memory in a product refresh.
soc shortage and covid demand plus dollar exchange. Thats why the low sale price won't return untill a new version with av1 comes out and old stock is unloaded.
Dec 19, 2006
72 posts
17 upvotes
Looks like free shipping is no longer available.
Jul 29, 2006
221 posts
281 upvotes
Ottawa
gofishsean wrote: Super close to hitting submit on the order.. then went back into my Amazon to see I grabbed one for $35 (I know no time machine), but still. I do think this device is getting long in the tooth and would expect Amazon to refresh it, that's the real reason I didn't trigger. As an aside, my current heavily modded stick is getting really flakey, I've side loaded stuff and set up a memory stick for expansion, but my Kodi library eats up so much space and you can't delete Amazon's bloatware, the memory just isn't sufficient, I suspect/hope they'll add more memory in a product refresh.
Check out Tech Doctor UK tutorials. He has one on removing Amazon bloatware.
Apr 30, 2017
535 posts
934 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, Quebec
fudge_u wrote: Tempted to get one for the folks, but Amazon usually drops them to $45 or less a couple times a year.
Not since they changed the pricing.

They used to sell the 4k at 60$ and the regular at 50$.

Then they introduced the Lite. So now, the Lite is 50$, Regular 60$ and 4K 70$.

Since they did that, the 4K never goes under 50$.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1201 posts
1103 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Thanks OP, needed a couple and have been waiting for less than $70.

Hadn't even thought about Home Depot for Fire Sticks.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1202 posts
490 upvotes
YYC
crustydragon wrote: Anyone reason to get this for someone who already has an Apple TV?
My Apple TV 4K has been gathering dust since I got my Firestick 4K . IMO, the Firestick and the Apple TV do the same things but you have the huge advantage of being able to sideload any android TV app onto the Firestick you want. The only advantage to the Apple TV is that it has an ethernet plugin on it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1445 posts
294 upvotes
Oakville
vsauce44 wrote: Price match at Visions.ca for another 15% off the price ;) even lower than 45.
The Visions page doesn't show the price match for the FS4K that I can see. Is there another way to get it?
May 9, 2006
906 posts
200 upvotes
Mississauga
vsauce44 wrote: Price match at Visions.ca for another 15% off the price ;) even lower than 45.
how do u price match?
[OP]
Feb 22, 2021
16 posts
74 upvotes
razorblade705 wrote: The Visions page doesn't show the price match for the FS4K that I can see. Is there another way to get it?
Call your local store or submit a customer service ticket?
Feb 11, 2014
39 posts
24 upvotes
Haliburton
OOS online for delivery to my Postal Code, lots in stock in store fore pick up, but too far a drive.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12281 posts
10653 upvotes
Oil Country
JonDuke19 wrote: Not since they changed the pricing.

They used to sell the 4k at 60$ and the regular at 50$.

Then they introduced the Lite. So now, the Lite is 50$, Regular 60$ and 4K 70$.

Since they did that, the 4K never goes under 50$.
It dropped to $45 three times within the last 12 months.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4981 posts
6391 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Are these for starting camp fires?
Aug 30, 2019
973 posts
738 upvotes
Brampton
2Riskit wrote: Just a note anyone using these for IPTV ask your provider if they are switching out of them, my provider said with the new FS update last month with profiles now they will be going to a other type...
Were you using firestick instead of infomir mag box ?
Mar 23, 2017
345 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
opelrsx wrote: Not good for AVR, right?
The new version with tv controls is actually pretty good. Since harmony is now officially dead it may be the best (budget) thing.

I've just got the lite, may upgrade to this one but I have one for my projector/avr system downstairs and am very pleased with it. Once you sort it out, one button to power on my amp and projector and one button to turn them off (projector requires two presses with it's own remote).

Since it has an IR transmitter, it can do a lot. Also, it seems like it uses bluetooth for the firestick so it can just be tucked away no LOS required. I still have a ps3 kicking around for physical media, I do have to manually change the input for that but it can probably connect more tightly.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4769 posts
947 upvotes
SK
herc wrote: My Apple TV 4K has been gathering dust since I got my Firestick 4K . IMO, the Firestick and the Apple TV do the same things but you have the huge advantage of being able to sideload any android TV app onto the Firestick you want. The only advantage to the Apple TV is that it has an ethernet plugin on it.
I picked up a USB to Ethernet Y-cable adaptor for the In-laws for their 4K Stick and it works great. It cost about $14 at the time. I did have to upgrade the included 1A power brick to a 2.4A to make it work. The 1A works on the non-4K stick with the Ethernet adaptor but not the 4K Stick.
The one I linked is not available anymore, but it's to give you an idea.

** Edit
Found a UGREEN one for $18 that looks good.
Official Amazon adaptor for $20
Last edited by shopper-X on May 21st, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shopper-X
Mar 12, 2011
67 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
How is this compared to the "Chromecast with Google TV"? - they still have the Netflix (6 months) + GCWGT for 119.99 on, so the price is similar?
Apr 30, 2017
535 posts
934 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, Quebec
fudge_u wrote: It dropped to $45 three times within the last 12 months.
Yes. The last time they we're 45$ was in November. They announced the Lite and new gens of the regular and 4k on Sept 30th. They liquidated the last batch of last gen 4k and regular sticks in November and it's never been back down to that price since.