• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2021 4:06 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12139 posts
10354 upvotes
Oil Country
JonDuke19 wrote: Yes. The last time they we're 45$ was in November. They announced the Lite and new gens of the regular and 4k on Sept 30th. They liquidated the last batch of last gen 4k and regular sticks in November and it's never been back down to that price since.
Ah... I can wait. Prime Day is possibly coming in June this year.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3395 posts
1069 upvotes
Belle River
herc wrote: My Apple TV 4K has been gathering dust since I got my Firestick 4K . IMO, the Firestick and the Apple TV do the same things but you have the huge advantage of being able to sideload any android TV app onto the Firestick you want. The only advantage to the Apple TV is that it has an ethernet plugin on it.
Amazon sells an official ethernet adapter:
https://www.amazon.ca/Amazon-Ethernet-A ... 207&sr=8-1

If you also want to be able to plug in other USB devices, say a mouse and keyboard, you can also use those on-the-go type mobile USB hubs but I've had some that worked and some that didn't. This one worked:
However if you ordered today there's no guarantee you'll get the exact same one. I recently purchased a USB SSD adapter for Raspberry Pi that worked, then ordered another maybe 2 weeks later, but apparently it had gone through some kinda revision and they were shipping the revised version which no longer worked for the specific application.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3083 posts
2145 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gabrielc wrote: How is this compared to the "Chromecast with Google TV"? - they still have the Netflix (6 months) + GCWGT for 119.99 on, so the price is similar?
Chromecast with Google TV is better than the 4K in nearly every aspect. If you aren't tied down with the Amazon ecosystem, the Chromecast is a better buy.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $43/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7252 posts
12239 upvotes
Montreal
fudge_u wrote: Ah... I can wait. Prime Day is possibly coming in June this year.
That's in the USA.
In Canada it will be delayed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7252 posts
12239 upvotes
Montreal
fudge_u wrote: That's why I said possibly. Worst case, it might be July or August.
It's not "possibly"; they already said it won't be in the second quarter like elsewhere.
Last year, it was in October.
Just saying...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
6671 posts
3483 upvotes
Global Village
shopper-X wrote: I picked up a USB to Ethernet Y-cable adaptor for the In-laws for their 4K Stick and it works great. It cost about $14 at the time. I did have to upgrade the included 1A power brick to a 2.4A to make it work. The 1A works on the non-4K stick with the Ethernet adaptor but not the 4K Stick.
The one I linked is not available anymore, but it's to give you an idea.

** Edit
Found a UGREEN one for $18 that looks good.
Official Amazon adaptor for $20
I can vouch for the UGreen adapter, have been using it for 3 years with 0 issues.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2673 posts
1427 upvotes
Winnipeg
AsianXL wrote: Chromecast with Google TV is better than the 4K in nearly every aspect. If you aren't tied down with the Amazon ecosystem, the Chromecast is a better buy.
That should be down to 50 as well. It's been half a year right?
Sep 12, 2007
536 posts
182 upvotes
Ottawa
I just checked Visions.ca website and its not 15% off the lowest proce, but rather they will beat the lowest price by an extra 15% of the difference. So it would be $50 less 15% of the $9.99 price diffence = $48.50.
Last edited by lkovacs on May 21st, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 7, 2010
290 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
line on receipt shows extra $2.00 "ADS-Home Audio/Playback/Recording System"
anyone else get that tacked onto their purchase?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3083 posts
2145 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: That should be down to 50 as well. It's been half a year right?
I haven't seen a single sale for the Chromecast since it debuted. I'm waiting on that.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $43/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Feb 8, 2007
15 posts
16 upvotes
I have to say, I've enjoyed using these. (I have two). Are they perfect? no. But in the world of media players, what is?

They do a bang-up job of using VPN clients though. Something I can't easily do with my Roku for instance.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2003
1285 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
Isn't there a new 4K fire stick coming out this year?
Jan 3, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
CALGARY
I’ve had mine for just over two years and it works flawlessly.

I do hear they start to slow down at around this point. Would it be worth picking one up at this point even though mine is still running almost perfectly?
[OP]
Feb 22, 2021
10 posts
71 upvotes
lkovacs wrote: I just checked Visions.ca website and its not 15% off the lowest proce, but rather they will beat the lowest price by an extra 15% of the difference. So it would be $50 less 15% of the $9.99 price diffence = $48.50.
My apologies. This is correct.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12139 posts
10354 upvotes
Oil Country
shopper-X wrote: I picked up a USB to Ethernet Y-cable adaptor for the In-laws for their 4K Stick and it works great. It cost about $14 at the time. I did have to upgrade the included 1A power brick to a 2.4A to make it work. The 1A works on the non-4K stick with the Ethernet adaptor but not the 4K Stick.
The one I linked is not available anymore, but it's to give you an idea.

** Edit
Found a UGREEN one for $18 that looks good.
Official Amazon adaptor for $20
hystavito wrote: Amazon sells an official ethernet adapter:

If you also want to be able to plug in other USB devices, say a mouse and keyboard, you can also use those on-the-go type mobile USB hubs but I've had some that worked and some that didn't. This one worked:
However if you ordered today there's no guarantee you'll get the exact same one. I recently purchased a USB SSD adapter for Raspberry Pi that worked, then ordered another maybe 2 weeks later, but apparently it had gone through some kinda revision and they were shipping the revised version which no longer worked for the specific application.
scoper wrote: I can vouch for the UGreen adapter, have been using it for 3 years with 0 issues.
I'm using two of these USB network adapters with mine.

Rankie USB Network Adapter, USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Internet Adapter
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B010SEARPU
Mar 12, 2011
58 posts
34 upvotes
Burnaby
AsianXL wrote: I haven't seen a single sale for the Chromecast since it debuted. I'm waiting on that.
If you have Netflix, you can just get the Netflix+Chromecast deal - https://store.google.com/config/chromec ... x?hl=en-GB.
It's 119.99, no tax, and the Netflix voucher is for 89$ equivalent (6 months Netflix paid), so the chromecast comes out at 31$ (CAD).