• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2021 4:06 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10794 posts
3192 upvotes
Winnipeg
Netuser wrote: I was hesitating but i think i will go with chrome cast just because of bluetooth, you can pair any bluetooth wireless headphone (or other device) with it. Which is crazy good to watch movies late night. This alone is a huge plus for ChromeCast
hymmm ....the firestick has bluetooth too, its always had bluetooth on every model they ever sold. How is it you came to think it didn't?
Apr 10, 2013
979 posts
195 upvotes
Mississauga
lead wrote: hymmm ....the firestick has bluetooth too, its always had bluetooth on every model they ever sold. How is it you came to think it didn't?
I read it somewhere, thanks for correcting me. and now the choice is even more difficult lol
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7425 posts
4007 upvotes
Montreal
For Ethernet adaptor make sure you get one that can go higher than 100 mbps

I saw many links here for 10/100 Ethernet only

After research I bought this
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07N2ZHFY ... asin_title
$23.99 often on sale $19.99

I did a speeetest on firestick and get around 350 mbps with my cable 400 mbps connection.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1551 posts
661 upvotes
vsauce44 wrote: Is there any way to watch live tv shows like CP24 and TSN for free by jailbreaking it? And not getting an IPTV ? Could you please give me some tips on how to go about it if you know?
nah need iptv
"jailbreaking" is simple and takes like 5 minutes.
IPTV I pay under 10 a month and get everything
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1084 posts
526 upvotes
dairymandip wrote: nah need iptv
"jailbreaking" is simple and takes like 5 minutes.
IPTV I pay under 10 a month and get everything
Jailbreak = IOS.
You "root" your android device or "enable external sources" from the setup menu.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3812 posts
3593 upvotes
Muskoka
cashinstinct wrote: For Ethernet adaptor make sure you get one that can go higher than 100 mbps

I saw many links here for 10/100 Ethernet only

After research I bought this
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07N2ZHFY ... asin_title
$23.99 often on sale $19.99

I did a speeetest on firestick and get around 350 mbps with my cable 400 mbps connection.
Why do you need GB for the FireStick? 4K streams are less than 20mbs. What would require GB that 100Mbs would cause grief? Other than a speed test.
Public Mobile
Sep 6, 2011
351 posts
55 upvotes
Oakville
spots01 wrote: Why do you need GB for the FireStick? 4K streams are less than 20mbs. What would require GB that 100Mbs would cause grief? Other than a speed test.
wireless connection or 100M wired is good for online streaming but not enough for play local videos with high video bitrate from NAS, this is the only drawback on fire stick 4K IMO
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7425 posts
4007 upvotes
Montreal
spots01 wrote: Why do you need GB for the FireStick? 4K streams are less than 20mbs. What would require GB that 100Mbs would cause grief? Other than a speed test.
Most are $20 or close price for 10/100

I prefer to pay $20 on sale for gigabit
Do I need it ? Probably not.

For similar price, I prefer to get better performance
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
21235 posts
6914 upvotes
I still have one left from last year and one connected to one of my TVs. In my household, they are the least used streamers but I have given them to others and they get a good workout every day. With no Prime Day in Canada (at least for now) this is a good price...
Jul 20, 2016
321 posts
293 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: Tempted to get one for the folks, but Amazon usually drops them to $45 or less a couple times a year.
For $5 let the folks go without for another 4-5 months. They dont deserve it.
Jul 20, 2016
321 posts
293 upvotes
gabrielc wrote: If you have Netflix, you can just get the Netflix+Chromecast deal - https://store.google.com/config/chromec ... x?hl=en-GB.
It's 119.99, no tax, and the Netflix voucher is for 89$ equivalent (6 months Netflix paid), so the chromecast comes out at 31$ (CAD).
Price
CA$119.99
Standard
CA$0.00
Estimated Tax
CA$15.60
Total
CA$135.59
minus $89 Netflix credit = $46.59 for the Chromecast. No tax??
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1758 posts
1675 upvotes
Ethanz wrote: wireless connection or 100M wired is good for online streaming but not enough for play local videos with high video bitrate from NAS, this is the only drawback on fire stick 4K IMO
Most decent nas's allow you to run a plex server these days, which will broadcast the local video properly.
Apr 20, 2017
147 posts
52 upvotes
lead wrote: hymmm ....the firestick has bluetooth too, its always had bluetooth on every model they ever sold. How is it you came to think it didn't?
Firestick 4k has bluetooth. I use it all the time when watching tv while my wife is sleeping.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10794 posts
3192 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ethanz wrote: wireless connection or 100M wired is good for online streaming but not enough for play local videos with high video bitrate from NAS, this is the only drawback on fire stick 4K IMO
firestick does +200 mpbs over wifi and current smb no problem. Recent tests have it hitting 350 mbps over ftp and nfs. Locally smb and its tightend security updates is hurting alot of small arm but even then it shouldn't be an issue for the sticks wifi unless its the router and wifi ap at root cause or sheer distance and other obstacles. Myself using jellyfin it uses the default direct play over http
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
30074 posts
10846 upvotes
Temporel wrote: For $5, you are going to deprive your folks who helped you take your first steps and maybe don't have many Springs to see anymore?

Gee! Disappointed But Relieved Face
Yeah but it has been like $35 before. Scamazon just brought out the "Lite" version to help inflate prices of all versions, and have crap 'sale' prices now too. While you're right $5 + tax is not a big deal, $15 is 3x that; more importatnly for me, it's the principle. I have a couple of these but I wouldn't buy another unless they went back to their "good" sale pricing on it. And while they're at it can they bring Primal Day back to where it's supposed to be in the year?

Otherwise, I'd just but a Roku stick/device on sale instead as even if it costs more (which I think they are actually cheaper on sale now), the whole idea about Amazon devices, to me, is that they are supposed to be loss-leaders when on sale to entice people to get into using Amazon services, signing up for Prime, etc. But if they want to play these kind of games, especially in Canada, well screw them I say!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15616 posts
3918 upvotes
Best investment ever for cutting cord... did setup like 4/5 for family members past whole year with iptv after cutting cord n never look back
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
30074 posts
10846 upvotes
Temporel wrote: That's in the USA.
In Canada it will be delayed.
Beyond Canada and India, Amazon’s Prime Day will go on. Shoppers in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, Spain, China and more will be able to take part when Prime Day kicks off in June.
LOL and people were talking about how the US handling of covid was so poor and Canada was better...how the tables have turned.

US and everywhere else going back to regular business and us still on nonsense lockdowns and other BS.

Even online shopping is curtailed due to covid in shitty Canada :facepalm: Winter 2/3rds the year, insane taxes, then this :rolleyes:
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
926 upvotes
which IPTV service do you guys use with your firestick?

mainly need it for sports.. mlb, nba, nhl
Mar 12, 2011
67 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
torontocanada1968 wrote: Price
CA$119.99
Standard
CA$0.00
Estimated Tax
CA$15.60
Total
CA$135.59
minus $89 Netflix credit = $46.59 for the Chromecast. No tax??
Hmm, when I bought it last year it was no tax. sorry, didn't check more in depth this year.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12267 posts
10637 upvotes
Oil Country
torontocanada1968 wrote: For $5 let the folks go without for another 4-5 months. They dont deserve it.
They won't care. They barely even use the one I got them now. They'd prefer it if I just saved my money and not get them anything at all. I also just built them a home theatre system a few months back (AVR, LF/C/RF speakers, sub, cables, speaker stands, etc).Winking Face
Last edited by fudge_u on May 22nd, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.