Home Depot Backorder Help

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2018 7:25 pm
[OP]
Jun 2, 2011
295 posts
55 upvotes

Home Depot Backorder Help

I ordered appliances from Home Depot a couple weeks ago. (Fridge/Stove/Washer/Dryer/Microwave/Dishwasher) I scheduled delivery for this Wednesday (Feb 15) a day after I get my new place. Late Friday they left me a message saying that the fridge was on back order and they would be shipping all appliances on February 28th.

What are my options here?

Obviously, I don't want to go 2 weeks without appliances. I called them as soon as I got the message and tried to discuss other options but the rep said she couldn't do anything on a Sunday and I would have to wait until Monday. I am assuming they want to wait for all the appliances to be ready so they don't have to pay for 2 deliveries.

2 weeks is way too long to go without appliances and I already booked the day off work. The options I mentioned when I called were to either substitute the fridge for one that isn't on back order or deliver everything else and then the fridge when available. I was told that I would have to cancel the order and then place another order, but the delivery on those appliances would likely be in the same time frame as what I am looking at right now. Although I only talked to local customer service and then the customer support line, they didn't seem like I had any options besides waiting.

Has anyone had this issue? How should I be approaching this?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16149 posts
13436 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ESCALATE.

Don't talk with the Sales Rep, talk to the Store Manager and explain your situation exactly as you have done here.

Something can be done if they are holding back your order just for one item.

Your options should be, 2 separate deliveries... With the Fridge coming when available.

Or canceling out just the Frdge and working with Management to find a Replacement that is available immediately either from the warehouse or buying right off the floor (in that case they'd have to do 2 deliveries anyhow).

Do try to be polite & flexible, if they charge for Delivery, pay for 2... or split the difference one on you, and one on them... Depending on how much of an inconvenience this all is for you.

HD wants a happy customer, try to keep that frame of mind when talking to Management.

It sucks to be without a Fridge for 2 weeks, but you can manage if you have your heart set on a particular one. Coolers & a bunch of ice can tide you over, borrow from friends if need be. Don't look at it as an inconvenience but rather an adventure... Camping out at the new place. Lol go with the flow and have an indoor picnic, and make memories you can look back & laugh about / smile at years from now (trust me you are not the 1st person to move into a new place without the necessary gear awaiting a furniture delivery. No fridge is easier than no bed IMO)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16732 posts
9505 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
They might have scheduled the entire bundle for delivery later rather than sooner so cancelling out just the fridge might not work. You might want to think about cancelling out everything but the fridge and then reorder everything else on a separate order. I know that seems backwards but sometimes that's the only way the system will work.
[OP]
Jun 2, 2011
295 posts
55 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: ESCALATE.

Don't talk with the Sales Rep, talk to the Store Manager and explain your situation exactly as you have done here.

Something can be done if they are holding back your order just for one item.

Your options should be, 2 separate deliveries... With the Fridge coming when available.

Or canceling out just the Frdge and working with Management to find a Replacement that is available immediately either from the warehouse or buying right off the floor (in that case they'd have to do 2 deliveries anyhow).

Do try to be polite & flexible, if they charge for Delivery, pay for 2... or split the difference one on you, and one on them... Depending on how much of an inconvenience this all is for you.

HD wants a happy customer, try to keep that frame of mind when talking to Management.

It sucks to be without a Fridge for 2 weeks, but you can manage if you have your heart set on a particular one. Coolers & a bunch of ice can tide you over, borrow from friends if need be. Don't look at it as an inconvenience but rather an adventure... Camping out at the new place. Lol go with the flow and have an indoor picnic, and make memories you can look back & laugh about / smile at years from now (trust me you are not the 1st person to move into a new place without the necessary gear awaiting a furniture delivery. No fridge is easier than no bed IMO)

craftsman wrote: They might have scheduled the entire bundle for delivery later rather than sooner so canceling out just the fridge might not work. You might want to think about canceling out everything but the fridge and then reorder everything else on a separate order. I know that seems backward but sometimes that's the only way the system will work.
Called this morning and they were pretty flexible with having the fridge switched out. They sent me to the store ASAP to pick a new one, but there weren't any options that matched the rest of the appliances in that price range. The next model up was an additional $700. I ended up settling on having everything else delivered on the original day and then waiting for the fridge on the 28th. They also gave me a mini fridge to hold me off until the fridge arrives.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16732 posts
9505 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Jasonn12 wrote: Called this morning and they were pretty flexible with having the fridge switched out. They sent me to the store ASAP to pick a new one, but there weren't any options that matched the rest of the appliances in that price range. The next model up was an additional $700. I ended up settling on having everything else delivered on the original day and then waiting for the fridge on the 28th. They also gave me a mini fridge to hold me off until the fridge arrives.
That's nice of them to provide you with a mini fridge!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16149 posts
13436 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jasonn12 wrote: Called this morning and they were pretty flexible with having the fridge switched out. They sent me to the store ASAP to pick a new one, but there weren't any options that matched the rest of the appliances in that price range. The next model up was an additional $700. I ended up settling on having everything else delivered on the original day and then waiting for the fridge on the 28th. They also gave me a mini fridge to hold me off until the fridge arrives.
Glad you found a workable solution, and indeed it nice of them to give you (lend you ?) a mini fridge in the interim.
[OP]
Jun 2, 2011
295 posts
55 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Glad you found a workable solution, and indeed it nice of them to give you (lend you ?) a mini fridge in the interim.
They did give me the mini fridge which was nice.

Was supposed to get a call yesterday for the delivery window today which did not happen. I called 30 mins after their time frame for calling past and the representative said that he couldn't provide me with the delivery time because that office was closed but did confirm that it would be today for everything except the fridge on backorder.

Called this morning and was told that the delivery would be on the 28th once the fridge was ready and the reps I spoke with the previous two days had made a mistake. Escalated to the manager who apologized but told me to make up for it he would provide me with free delivery. There were no delivery charges to begin with.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16149 posts
13436 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jasonn12 wrote: They did give me the mini fridge which was nice.

Was supposed to get a call yesterday for the delivery window today which did not happen. I called 30 mins after their time frame for calling past and the representative said that he couldn't provide me with the delivery time because that office was closed but did confirm that it would be today for everything except the fridge on backorder.

Called this morning and was told that the delivery would be on the 28th once the fridge was ready and the reps I spoke with the previous two days had made a mistake. Escalated to the manager who apologized but told me to make up for it he would provide me with free delivery. There were no delivery charges to begin with.
Ok, now that sucks.

I would definitely be peeved, FREE Mini Fridge (value = $ 200 - $ 300) or not.

Did you take time off from work for today's scheduled delivery? Or were you wanting the phone call to tell you when to leave?

I think at this point in time, that AFTER you have the goods in hand, have them set up & running fine (done a personal inspection) that I would contact Home Depot Head Office in writing & complain. Telling them you expected better...

Tell them right out you expect some sort of compensation for this runaround, otherwise you are going to take your story to social media (ie do a legit REVIEW on their website, and anywhere else you so please... Like Yelp etc)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5154 posts
683 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Home Depot did this to me 8 years ago, only they didn't tell me about a back order on the fridge beforehand. Delivered everything else, including a massively dented dishwasher. They would not budge an inch on supplying a readily available fridge. I ended up getting a mini fridge from a friend and lived with that for a month.

I would push back at them hard. And hit their social media accounts.
Aug 4, 2018
1 posts
Home Depot is the worst. One day before my entire package on kitchen appliances (which had been ordered 3 weeks earlier) was to be delvered, the "auto-called" to tell me delivery was moved back 2 weeks. After my move date. Refrigerator on back order. I had to cancel order, start over withought fridge and wait another 5 days for other appliance. So, I ordered fridge from Lowes. The very next day, I got a call from a live person at Lowes to tell me that when they put un my order GE had notified them they were out of stock for another 3 weeks. My bet is, if GE notified Lowes, they also notified HD. It also took 2 weeks for HD to issue mt refund-they charge when you order, not when they ship. There was also a fiasco on getting the other appliances delivered. I set a new date and 3 days early I got another auto call they were being delivered next day. No idea where they got the date, but since it was a Saturday, I just made myself available figuring if I didn't they would screw up again. Never again will I purchase anything beyond a package of nails at HD.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8547 posts
2322 upvotes
Mississauga
MicheleD69989 wrote: Home Depot is the worst. One day before my entire package on kitchen appliances (which had been ordered 3 weeks earlier) was to be delvered, the "auto-called" to tell me delivery was moved back 2 weeks. After my move date. Refrigerator on back order. I had to cancel order, start over withought fridge and wait another 5 days for other appliance. So, I ordered fridge from Lowes. The very next day, I got a call from a live person at Lowes to tell me that when they put un my order GE had notified them they were out of stock for another 3 weeks. My bet is, if GE notified Lowes, they also notified HD. It also took 2 weeks for HD to issue mt refund-they charge when you order, not when they ship. There was also a fiasco on getting the other appliances delivered. I set a new date and 3 days early I got another auto call they were being delivered next day. No idea where they got the date, but since it was a Saturday, I just made myself available figuring if I didn't they would screw up again. Never again will I purchase anything beyond a package of nails at HD.
A little late to the party last post was February 15th.