Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Bernzomatic 14.1 oz. Map-Pro Cylinder 2pk $8.98 Hot? YMMV?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 8:37 am
Sep 2, 2007
367 posts
309 upvotes

[Home Depot] Bernzomatic 14.1 oz. Map-Pro Cylinder 2pk $8.98 Hot? YMMV?

Stopped by Home depot yesterday to refuel my cooking torch with map fuel, was looking for this exact dual pack, was expecting to pay about $20.
Online showed very little stock information or price but lucky me my local one in Windermere Edmonton had a pretty big stack of them 50% off, so might be one of those YMMV things.

On a side note, I love using this thing to sear my sous vide steaks, but I find I like using it to quickly top off anything I cook with some heat or a good sear, stuff like pizza etc.
But I find it does give off a burnt taste pretty quickly rather than a nicer BBQ tasting sear, not sure if that makes sense but the flavor of the sear is not quite the same.
Might have to refine my technique a bit, thinking of investing in one of those heat spreaders too maybe.

Edit: Funny seeing the single packs being sold right next to it for regular price of $14.98 each which is probably what I would have ended up buying if I didn't see this deal.
Images
  • 4-5-2019 8-18-06 AM.jpg
  • 4-5-2019 8-58-54 AM.jpg
Last edited by RedruM7 on Apr 5th, 2019 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
30 replies
Mar 26, 2004
387 posts
290 upvotes
Ottawa
Awesome deal if you can find stock!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
Great price!

Though MAPP gas is better than MAPP Pro but you're not using it for soldering so who cares.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
Are you using a reg torch or a searzall?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3793 posts
2427 upvotes
West Coast
If you're tasting the torch then you're too close to the meat/product. Pull back further and that shouldn't be an issue. I had the same problem early on until trial and error made me realize I was too close.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Sep 2, 2007
367 posts
309 upvotes
keyser-soze wrote: Are you using a reg torch or a searzall?
I'm currently using a regular torch with no attachment, thinking of getting one, but honestly I'm a bit too cheap to spend $100 on the searzall unless it really is that good, was wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives or diys to spread the heat better for more even (less burning) otherwise I guess I can just try and refine my technique.
Richfields wrote: If you're tasting the torch then you're too close to the meat/product. Pull back further and that shouldn't be an issue. I had the same problem early on until trial and error made me realize I was too close.
Yeah you definitely may be right on that, will need to try that out, the lure of torching it super quick and not cooking the insides makes me want to get a super quick sear but I guess I'm tasting the torch when I do that.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
I have the searzall and really like it (it is a bit slow thought) when I cant get outside to sear.

If I can get outside then I will more often then not use the weed/asphalt/ice torch like - https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8696338e

I have two one is 100,000 btu and another is 500,000 both work well, just need to be careful, takes a bit of practice. Lots of vids of sousvide people using these with great results. Souvsvide everything is a great channel on youtube and they did a showdown on best searing tool - flamethrower, ie what I linked about won.
Jun 26, 2008
173 posts
132 upvotes
Definitely hot. If you don't have space or want to buy a welder, pair this up with an oxygen tank and you can actually get pretty good brazing results. I've used it to make some coffee tables since I wanted to wait to buy a full welder.

Good for sous-vide too, but a good broiler can do just as well if you don't want to keep another gadget in the kitchen.
Sep 2, 2007
769 posts
285 upvotes
Something I learned in the last couple of years

Browning Meat

Of course pat it dry first
Then, if you have not tried it, a light sprinkling of baking soda will assist the browning of the meat
and not change the taste
Sep 1, 2017
111 posts
82 upvotes
Why not regular propane cylinder that comes in 4 pack (4 lbs total) at Costco for about $19?
Sep 1, 2017
111 posts
82 upvotes
sridca wrote: Why not regular propane cylinder that comes in 4 pack (4 lbs total) at Costco for about $19?
I use it with my TS800 to sear steaks on daily basis. MAPP pro is not a significant advantage in cooking, and the yellow cylinder being narrow can easily topple over.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
sridca wrote: I use it with my TS800 to sear steaks on daily basis. MAPP pro is not a significant advantage in cooking, and the yellow cylinder being narrow can easily topple over.
To add, the searzall (if you are going to use one) actually says to only use wider camping propane cylinders to prevent toppling over as well as MAPP being too hot for the tool.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
sridca wrote: Why not regular propane cylinder that comes in 4 pack (4 lbs total) at Costco for about $19?
Thanks, I will look out for these, dont recall seeing them at my costco.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1953 posts
829 upvotes
Checked the Trafalgar location and it was showing 1, which is probably phantom stock.
Sep 2, 2007
367 posts
309 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote: Its been this pricing for a LONG time, since last time's Bernzomatic Torch head sale at Lowes

I bought it back in November for my Not-A-Flamethrower

Most of the stock in the GTA is phantom.
Hmm... Are you referring to the $14.98 price? Because I didn't see any mention of it at $9.98 yet.
I felt bad for missing out on a few spare tanks back than when I bought the torch but than I ran into this deal and I suddenly didn't feel so bad...

Also just wondering any idea how long do these tanks normally last with average usage? For me probably a couple times a week with cooking.
I may have bought more tanks than I probably need at this price lol. Oh well.
Last edited by RedruM7 on Apr 5th, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Richfields wrote: If you're tasting the torch then you're too close to the meat/product. Pull back further and that shouldn't be an issue. I had the same problem early on until trial and error made me realize I was too close.
I tried MAP Pro, propane and butane, and found butane tasted the best, but took longer as it was the smallest and coldest flame. Maybe the flames were too close, or not burning cleanly, but now when I sous vide I just toss the meat on a super hot grill for a few seconds as the torches take way too long.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jul 6, 2018
66 posts
49 upvotes
Alberta
engineered wrote: I tried MAP Pro, propane and butane, and found butane tasted the best, but took longer as it was the smallest and coldest flame. Maybe the flames were too close, or not burning cleanly, but now when I sous vide I just toss the meat on a super hot grill for a few seconds as the torches take way too long.
Taken from a sous vide website...

What you do want to do, however, is to adjust the flame on your kitchen torch until it turns dark blue. The blue color means that it’s an oxidizing flame, not a reducing flame. This is a chemistry difference that matters for your food. If the flame is yellow, it’s a reducing flame, and there will be hydrocarbons from the fuel — whether it’s propane or butane — that aren’t fully combusted. These can end up in your food, creating an “off” taste in whatever you’ve seared with the torch.