Toronto
OP Price in the title please. The store close to my place shows regular price
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2469 posts
1011 upvotes
Burnaby
Good for camping or starting anything around the size of a geo metro or riding lawnmower. Too small imo. Go for something closer to 1000A.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond
300 amps peak is a little low for starting anything larger than a 4-cyl engine in warm weather, but it's a spectrum rather than a hard cutoff: if the engine is warm and in good tune, maybe.

Check the review of portable jump starters here for some good information on what you can expect: http://www.mjlorton.com/portable-car-ba ... e-results/

In particular check that table of actual peak cranking amps observed vs. manufacturer's claim - and the number of annotations like "some smoke" and "Fail - Battery swell and burst".
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12346 posts
6921 upvotes
Brampton
Might want to add YMMV.

Been to the HDs in Markham they either didn't have stock or don't have it on clearance
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21249 posts
8094 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Might be an instore clearance only.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jul 5, 2015
76 posts
17 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Says that there is 2 in stock in Guelph about an hour ago.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
788FAF wrote: Winter is coming.

300 Instant amps of power
2.0 high out USB power source
12V power outlet
Internal charging cube, for use with household extension cord
On board cable and clamp storage
All metal clamps

Retails 59.99. On sale for 16.96

4 left at Eglinton Laird location.
As opposed to all wood or all plastic ?
If it said all Copper I would say they're onto something.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21249 posts
8094 upvotes
Socially Distanced
dilligafeh wrote: As opposed to all wood or all plastic ?
If it said all Copper I would say they're onto something.
Indeed, all wood/plastic would work so well that they have to brag about it being metal Face With Tears Of Joy
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond
My Anker unit has plastic clamps with a metal insert, and I would guess that a lot of others do as well. Not very durable, and will likely break after a few years. But the battery itself will be toast after a few years too.

One thing that's nice about this B&D unit is that is has a 12v cigarette-lighter power outlet socket. I had to improvise one for my Anker since they don't include the adapter cable for that any more. I use it to power 12v devices like my air pump when I use it on bicycle tires.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2712 upvotes
ON
Note of caution on these:
Mfr date was stamped 2015-06 on the box - these batteries are 2+ years old already.
You're getting it cheap, but expect some diminished performance compared to new (still worth it I would think if I didn't have the smaller lithium one already)
Charge it immediately when you get home. Not sure if lead acid or li-ion. I'm guessing PbA because they didn't say lithium, which tends to be a marketing plus. If so charging it immediately will help to reduce the buildup from storage, but some is likely permanent after 2 years.
If lithium, not that big of a deal, but still reduced lifespan as 2 years are gone.
Faith24 wrote: My Anker unit has plastic clamps with a metal insert, and I would guess that a lot of others do as well. Not very durable, and will likely break after a few years. But the battery itself will be toast after a few years too.

One thing that's nice about this B&D unit is that is has a 12v cigarette-lighter power outlet socket. I had to improvise one for my Anker since they don't include the adapter cable for that any more. I use it to power 12v devices like my air pump when I use it on bicycle tires.
The 12V port is 5A max, keep that in mind vs the amps of your inflator. But it would be handy for a 12V cooler if you wanted to keep it running for short periods when the car is off, like a picnic. I wouldn't expect more than an hour of runtime, however.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
8222 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed. Don't expect to start a car with a fully drained battery. In my experience, 300 amps is way too low for what I mentioned.
Psykopathik wrote: Good for camping or starting anything around the size of a geo metro or riding lawnmower. Too small imo. Go for something closer to 1000A.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond
There's a lot of information about starting current in the video review I referenced above. Check around the 4-minute mark. Could be as little as 50-60 amps for a warm 4 cyl, but well over 300 amps for a V6 in cold weather, although that doesn't mean it won't start with less. Cold weather starts are in part 2 of the video.

Banned
Sep 1, 2017
14 posts
29 upvotes
I want to buy one to start a 6 engine car, is it possible to start it? And who knows its battery life?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2277 posts
2310 upvotes
aqnd wrote: [...] Not sure if lead acid or li-ion. I'm guessing PbA because they didn't say lithium [...]. If lithium, not that big of a deal, but still reduced lifespan as 2 years are gone. [...]
At 9 lbs of weight, it has a lead acid battery, for sure.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond
Valdezr wrote: I want to buy one to start a 6 engine car, is it possible to start it? And who knows its battery life?
I've never seen a car with 6 engines, but I guess you would have to start them sequentially. :)

If you were just starting a single engine with 6 cylinders, this would be marginal for the job. It would probably handle it in warm weather, but might be too much for it in very cold winter weather if the car's battery is drained and the engine is fully cold.

Usually these have plenty of starts in them, so the challenge is to remember to charge them once in a while so it isn't dead on the rare occasion you need to use it. The lead-acid battery should last at least as long as the ones in cars, probably 5-10 years if you aren't using it much.