• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2017 11:41 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
63 posts
37 upvotes

[Home Depot] Blue Max - 18-inch 45cc Gas Chainsaw 179 - 25% off

Just noticed this Blue Max Chain saw on sale seems to be decent reviews and i was looking for one under $200. Free shipping and after taxes comes out to $202

if you use ebates you get an extra 2% on tools (had to edit as i had 4% before) home depot seems pretty good. Will test it out once it comes in and i cut up some logs outside.

First time post didn't see this sale, give some feedback on machine and post so i can improve.

thanks
5 replies
Jul 28, 2014
42 posts
25 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Be careful with these cheap chainsaws, first thing goes wrong and it's probably a throway. Should be good enough for the average residential tree trimming but be prepared in case it doesnt start again next year.

Bought two $150 Poulans, used for a month each then wouldnt start, could not get parts for them or it was not worth the fix. Bought the cheapest Stihl MS 170 for $180, same thing with $50 shop charge and another $80 in parts to fix. Bought a Stihl MS 250 for $450, been using it for the past 3 years (Cut up over 300 trees), only had to replace the sprocket.

*Own an MS 250 16" and MS 361 18" Use a wood boiler to heat the house and shop so we do a lot of cutting lol.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
63 posts
37 upvotes
Totally agree that this isn't for someone who uses it daily. I have like one tree to cut and some trimming yearly in the fall. I was looking for something that could get the job done without the price tag.
Sep 15, 2011
963 posts
499 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
Seems like a reasonable deal but I'll toss my opinion with the others - cheap saws are such throw aways. Spend some more money and get a better saw and the experience is lightyears better and it'll last. I sucked it up and bought a Echo CS-590 Timberwolf and it's simply amazing. The difference in the cutting power and the handling and damn near everything is so worth it.
Aug 3, 2012
399 posts
187 upvotes
AURORA
+1 one on buying a good saw. They keep their value. I love my Stihl MS261. Great saw, and because they keep going up in price it is probably worth what I paid for it.

Also, if you don't know how to sharpen and tension the chain, you might be better off renting one. Don't forget the safety gear too.

If the tree is less then 10 inches or so, you can also cut it with a good handsaw. 13" Komelon is my favorite ($35 at Princess Auto). A 10" maple can be cut in 5 minutes without making noise.
Dec 14, 2015
59 posts
9 upvotes
Unionville, ON
"Home owner" and "chainsaw" shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence, and its not just the saw you are buying, its the leggings/trousers, helmet and glasses and you should be buying the boots as well if you are doing lots.

My advice (which is worthless because its free) is find a friend with a saw get them to do it and repay them with a case of beer (after the work is done)

Or go do a course and get certified