[Home Depot] Bosch 7 1/4-inch Worm Drive Saw $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2020 2:54 pm
[OP]
Sep 12, 2010
24 posts
61 upvotes

[Home Depot] Bosch 7 1/4-inch Worm Drive Saw $199.99

Not an expert on saw or a handy man. So I'd appreciate the inputs on whether this is a good deal or good value for the money in terms of its features/quality.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4138 posts
2665 upvotes
I'm no saw expert either, but it seems like a very good deal as it is $189usd on homedepot.com, but probably more saw than the average RFDer will ever need. I bought a used Makita worm drive circular saw a few years ago because it was a good price, but for me the only thing I notice about it compared to my Dewalt sidewinder saw is the extra 4.5lbs of the Makita so it just collects dust. Someone who uses a circular saw daily and will benefit from the extra power of a worm drive saw will likely jump on this deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1501 posts
1273 upvotes
I've switched to a worm drive saw 30 yrs ago after a direct drive bound up cutting plywood and jumped backward over my thumb cutting it to the bone. A worm drive is heavier, more powerful and safer IMO.

Can't comment on the price of this one as I'm still using the same one from 30 yrs ago after many many blades and a few power cords due to them rotting. I've used it for many projects including two house renovations and multiple smaller projects.
Dec 7, 2019
41 posts
49 upvotes
Was waiting to find a skil for a good price, but this one look very good. Ordered, thanks OP
Sep 14, 2007
878 posts
321 upvotes
Calgary, AB
This is a very good price. I bought my Bosch worm drive over 20 years ago for $225 and still going strong.

I see no more stock online.
Apr 2, 2009
291 posts
333 upvotes
vancouver
At 13 lbs, that's only 2 lbs heavier than my Makita 7 1/4, which seems reasonable spec-wise - a lot of the other brand worm drives are around 20lbs which is rough using all day (I used a Skil worm drive which ate through 1" plywood like butter, but the weight was prohibitive). Without trying it out (i'm curious how well balanced it is in one hand), just a few things of note:

-no case (personal preference - I like keeping tools protected and organized on the shelf)
-no electric brake (I think is common to worm drive, something to be aware of if switching from most current sidewinders)

Overall looks like a good price for a worm drive, if I were in the market for a new saw I'd get it, only a few bucks more than a good sidewinder.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.