Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Chamberlain 1.25-HP Whisper Drive Belt Drive Garage Door Opener w/ Built-in Wi-Fi and Battery Back-Up - $278.10

[OP]
Jul 26, 2020
3 posts
12 upvotes

[Home Depot] Chamberlain 1.25-HP Whisper Drive Belt Drive Garage Door Opener w/ Built-in Wi-Fi and Battery Back-Up - $278.10

You can go to Home Depot and price match Lowe's sale price ($309.00) to get an additional 10% off. That will get you a price of $278.10 + tax. Not an all-time low price but still a good price.

Lowe's: https://www.lowes.ca/product/garage-doo ... lsrc=aw.ds
Thread Summary
If you're shopping for more options, check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best garage door openers!
31 replies
Jul 10, 2020
18 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered 3/4 HP belt drive with hub from Costco yesterday for 279+ tax. I have a single garage door (townhome) so it meets my need.

This is my first garage door opener so I can't compare how the above deal compares to Costco one apart from HP. I see Costco has a extra device called Hub i guess.

https://www.costco.ca/chamberlain-wi-fi ... langId=-24

Edit: I m in Ontario. If that helps for Costco pricing
Jul 25, 2017
908 posts
325 upvotes
Hackfield wrote: I ordered 3/4 HP belt drive with hub from Costco yesterday for 279+ tax. I have a single garage door (townhome) so it meets my need.

This is my first garage door opener so I can't compare how the above deal compares to Costco one apart from HP. I see Costco has a extra device called Hub i guess.

Is this costco one the same one sold couple weeks ago in the warehouse?
[OP]
Jul 26, 2020
3 posts
12 upvotes
Hackfield wrote: I ordered 3/4 HP belt drive with hub from Costco yesterday for 279+ tax. I have a single garage door (townhome) so it meets my need.

I'm in the same situation as you but wanted the backup battery, which is not offered with the 3/4 HP opener.
Jul 10, 2020
18 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
memetes wrote: Is this costco one the same one sold couple weeks ago in the warehouse?
I am not aware of that one. I was sent this deal by a friend who was also in the market for an opener.

Lately I have ordered so many items from Costco.ca that are generally cheaper in warehouses. So I now double check warehouse deals before ordering. And this product wasn't showing up on my local warehouse deals.
Last edited by Hackfield on Sep 23rd, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3341 posts
1535 upvotes
Mississauga

whats the function of the HUB ?... I have this opener I bought 2x in 2019 for $199 doing some price matching fanatics..
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3341 posts
1535 upvotes
Mississauga
memetes wrote: I'm in the same situation as you but wanted the backup battery, which is not offered with the 3/4 HP opener.
Why? whats wrong with the pull cord .. I read that when the battery dies (1+ yrs down the road) .. the thing beeps like crazy until you replace it. Not sure if they fixed that.
Jul 10, 2020
18 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
TLSRULZ wrote:
whats the function of the HUB ?... I have this opener I bought 2x in 2019 for $199 doing some price matching fanatics..
As per description:

"Smart Garage door opener comes with built-in MyQ technology to keep you connected and protected: open, close, and know the status of your garage door from anywhere with a smartphone or tablet with the MyQ App"

So basically it tells me i can open close my garage door even if I am not home or in my home network.
Feb 7, 2009
788 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP!! Was just about to order on Amazon last night and luckily I didn't. Will need to stop by at home Depot tonight..
Jan 6, 2010
514 posts
628 upvotes
Montreal, QC
TLSRULZ wrote: Why? whats wrong with the pull cord .. I read that when the battery dies (1+ yrs down the road) .. the thing beeps like crazy until you replace it. Not sure if they fixed that.
Yep mine is doing exactly that right now. Non-stop.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1102 posts
689 upvotes
Edmonton
Deriot wrote: Yep mine is doing exactly that right now. Non-stop.
Remove the battery and the beeping stops!
Jan 6, 2010
514 posts
628 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Simby wrote: Remove the battery and the beeping stops!
Really?? Sounds counter-intuitive but I'll prop up a ladder and try it out. Thanks!
Mar 23, 2017
315 posts
244 upvotes
North York
Thanks OP. Bought one at the Markham Rd/14th Home Depot.

Both the above location and the Markham Rd/Bur Oak location are both OOS of it now though.
CONTEST WINNINGS
2016 WINS: $279.99

RECENT WIN: GoPro Hero Session - Roam Mobility Summer Tech Travel Blog
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3341 posts
1535 upvotes
Mississauga
Hackfield wrote: As per description:

"Smart Garage door opener comes with built-in MyQ technology to keep you connected and protected: open, close, and know the status of your garage door from anywhere with a smartphone or tablet with the MyQ App"

So basically it tells me i can open close my garage door even if I am not home or in my home network.
I dont have the HUB and can do all that as the opener itself has the MYQ .. that is why I asked what does the HUB do ?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1356 posts
1343 upvotes
Ottawa
Hmm...ordered a new garage door that won’t be delivered/installed until December. Was going to wait until Black Friday sales for the B750C 3/4 HP model (think it got $199 last year)...but may snag this and return if better deals arise on BF. It is overkill for my 10x8 door but less expensive than 3/4 model right now.
Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1554 posts
948 upvotes
Hamilton
I think we paid few bucks less 3 years ago and I'd recommend it.

FYI, most garage doors are OK with even 1/2 HP.
A well balanced door should be easily moved up and down with a small push in either direction. Tension springs are the one baring the weight and keep it balanced.
Oct 18, 2016
41 posts
47 upvotes
I'm guessing this is more HP than I need for my single car garage but we are moving into a split level with the bedrooms above the garage. Anyone know if having more HP than needed would help at all with noise reduction?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2135 posts
2618 upvotes
West GTA
achill2 wrote: I'm guessing this is more HP than I need for my single car garage but we are moving into a split level with the bedrooms above the garage. Anyone know if having more HP than needed would help at all with noise reduction?
Nope doesn't matter. 1.25hp is overkill for you but will work fine. What will make it quiet is getting a belt (like this one) versus a chain, the belts are a fair bit quieter. Chains are totally fine if you don't have a bedroom over the garage, modern chains aren't all that loud and are a bit more reliable, but belts are certainly quieter and definitely better for your needs. You should also ensure that the hinges, rollers and track for the door are clean, lubricated with dry lubricant (silicone spray or white lithium, maybe graphite, NOT oil or WD-40 or whatever that will attract gunk) and free of debris, and if you use nylon rollers for the door they are quieter. I get freaked out even looking at the springs so I don't touch them, but a light cleaning and light spray of lubricant can help a bit there too.

https://www.garagedoornation.com/blogs/ ... -lubricant

Do all of this properly with a belt drive opener and it'll likely be pretty quiet.

If there is STILL an issue with noise above, you can repack the ceiling with rockwool, which would both further reduce noise and improve insulation (and hence comfort of rooms) if required. Wouldn't jump to this right away.
Oct 18, 2016
41 posts
47 upvotes
grumble wrote: Nope doesn't matter. 1.25hp is overkill for you but will work fine. What will make it quiet is getting a belt (like this one) versus a chain, the belts are a fair bit quieter. Chains are totally fine if you don't have a bedroom over the garage, modern chains aren't all that loud and are a bit more reliable, but belts are certainly quieter and definitely better for your needs. You should also ensure that the hinges, rollers and track for the door are clean, lubricated with dry lubricant (silicone spray or white lithium, maybe graphite, NOT oil or WD-40 or whatever that will attract gunk) and free of debris, and if you use nylon rollers for the door they are quieter. I get freaked out even looking at the springs so I don't touch them, but a light cleaning and light spray of lubricant can help a bit there too.

https://www.garagedoornation.com/blogs/ ... -lubricant

Do all of this properly with a belt drive opener and it'll likely be pretty quiet.

If there is STILL an issue with noise above, you can repack the ceiling with rockwool, which would both further reduce noise and improve insulation (and hence comfort of rooms) if required. Wouldn't jump to this right away.
Great information, tyvm!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1356 posts
1343 upvotes
Ottawa
Called around to a few ottawa HD stores and they all seem to be sold out. Could be discontinuing it? I guess I’ll have to wait until the next sale...