Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Hub $79 + FREE Google Nest Mini ($39-$69 value)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 4:44 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2017
293 posts
118 upvotes

[Home Depot] Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Hub $79 + FREE Google Nest Mini ($39-$69 value)

I was looking for a Liftmaster internet gateway and came across the Chamberlain version (same thing) and Home Depot now has a promo for a free Google Nest Mini with purchase. Google Nest Mini is $39 at HD now, so more like $39 free value. You can get the hub for $10 cheaper on Amazon if you don't need the Nest Mini.
-----------------
Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Hub + FREE GOOGLE NEST MINI - $69 Value.
Buy one Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Hub (1000663927),
Get this FREE: Google Nest Mini (2nd Generation) in Chalk (1001501601).
Limited time only. While quantities last. Free Item will appear in cart, subject to availability in-store or online.
Last edited by eljay0 on Jul 10th, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1907 posts
931 upvotes
Interesting. I need a new keypad for my garage at the cottage and I'm wondering if it would make more sense to get this and sell the mini.
Edit: I assume they won't just take back the google home and refund $39? Too early to tell?
I'll try in the meantime...
Last edited by razrsharp on Jul 10th, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 23, 2007
58 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Please put the price in the title.

Also, anyone considering this should know you need to pay $1/month to tie this into Google Assistant.
Nov 23, 2007
58 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
xspectre wrote: Please put the price in the title.

Also, anyone considering this should know you need to pay $1/month to tie this into Google Assistant.
But of course you can use their app without the subscription.
Jun 8, 2007
787 posts
170 upvotes
Oshawa
From Chamberlain
"Starting June 26, 2019, premium subscriptions to link your myQ account to one of our premium partners will be FREE for a limited time. No credit card is required for a premium subscription."

I don't believe it has expired as I am still not paying for integration with Google Home..
Dec 13, 2008
268 posts
74 upvotes
I've been looking how to integrate the MyQ App with google home. Any tips?

Ah, did a quick search and now I understand. Only works with Google Assistant, not the Google home App.

Bedpan wrote: From Chamberlain
"Starting June 26, 2019, premium subscriptions to link your myQ account to one of our premium partners will be FREE for a limited time. No credit card is required for a premium subscription."

I don't believe it has expired as I am still not paying for integration with Google Home..
Last edited by blisterd_nuts on Jul 10th, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just here for the deals....
Nov 23, 2004
436 posts
636 upvotes
Ontario
If you're someone who is comfortable with a soldering iron and some simple code copy/paste from Google then you can make most existing garage door openers "smart" for about $10 or less. This does require some sort of home automation platform to control from though; like Home Assistant, etc.

Most have a hardwired port at the back of the opener and all you need to do is connect wires out of that into a relay and close the relay. The Wemos D1 board and a relay will do this, and then toss a magnetic switch in there to sense open/close and voila!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8089 posts
2744 upvotes
Toronto
This isn't necessary if you have the WiFi model is it? Only to connect to Google?
Nov 23, 2007
58 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
mindabsence wrote: If you're someone who is comfortable with a soldering iron and some simple code copy/paste from Google then you can make most existing garage door openers "smart" for about $10 or less. This does require some sort of home automation platform to control from though; like Home Assistant, etc.

Most have a hardwired port at the back of the opener and all you need to do is connect wires out of that into a relay and close the relay. The Wemos D1 board and a relay will do this, and then toss a magnetic switch in there to sense open/close and voila!
Yep, I went this route. The unit I got off amazon was about $45 though.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072SF ... UTF8&psc=1

Pretty easy setup and compatibility is pretty certain since you are just connecting to the wire terminals on the garage opener. Did not need to solder. Just attached wires to the screw terminals.
May 26, 2018
12 posts
10 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: If you're someone who is comfortable with a soldering iron and some simple code copy/paste from Google then you can make most existing garage door openers "smart" for about $10 or less. This does require some sort of home automation platform to control from though; like Home Assistant, etc.

Can you pls post a link I am interested?
Nov 23, 2004
436 posts
636 upvotes
Ontario
xspectre wrote: Yep, I went this route. The unit I got off amazon was about $45 though.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072SF ... UTF8&psc=1

Pretty easy setup and compatibility is pretty certain since you are just connecting to the wire terminals on the garage opener. Did not need to solder. Just attached wires to the screw terminals.
Thanks for sharing that! Been needing something to recommend to less tech-savvy folks who ask about my setup - this fits the bill perfectly.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2017
293 posts
118 upvotes
xspectre wrote: Please put the price in the title.

Oops. Thanks for the reminder. Fixed now.
Nov 23, 2004
436 posts
636 upvotes
Ontario
joe9045 wrote: Can you pls post a link I am interested?
Here's a couple variations:

If you have Home Assistant or some sort of smart home platform, this build guide will let you integrate directly into that. I do this with home assistant so I can do things like send door open notifications to my phone, reminders if I left the garage open past a certain time, and google voice control: https://automatedhome.party/2017/01/06/ ... s-d1-mini/

If you don't have a home system and want something a bit more standalone, then this guide looks like a decent one (I've never followed this one, full disclosure): https://www.hackster.io/mariod/monitor- ... ini-976071
[OP]
Dec 27, 2017
293 posts
118 upvotes
Variability wrote: This isn't necessary if you have the WiFi model is it? Only to connect to Google?
Corret. If your opener has the Wifi than no need for a separate gateway or hub.
Dec 4, 2007
200 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have owned this opener for about a year now (bought from Amazon for $50 on sale), and no problems so far. We've had to change the door sensor battery once but no other upkeep costs. The app works well to open and close the door and notify us when the door has been open for more than 15 minutes. We have it integrated with our Google Home with no monthly fees.

We tell Google to close the garage when we get home(the command is "tell MyQ to close the garage", but we simplified it to "close the garage" through Assistant's Routines), and when we forget to do so the app reminds us after 15 minutes. For security reasons I don't think we can tell Google to open the door, but I haven't checked to see if there is a workaround.

Physical remotes are still faster than opening and closing the garage through an app, but the reminder feature is useful as I find we often forget to close the garage. It's also useful if you want to leave something in your garage for someone to pick up when you're not home.