Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3208 posts
1175 upvotes
Lévis

home depot = crap?

How are Home depot in your area folks? Here in Québec city they are average at best.
Pourquoi pas?
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8045 posts
9022 upvotes
Montréal
low quality, high prices. Since RONA been took over by Lowes, I boycott them. I, by far, prefer Canac, or BMR who are Quebec companies. When I am on a rush, I go to Home Depot which is the closest to my place
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7135 upvotes
Paris
DoorCrasher wrote: low quality, high prices. Since RONA been took over by Lowes, I boycott them. I, by far, prefer Canac, or BMR who are Quebec companies. When I am on a rush, I go to Home Depot which is the closest to my place
Rona took over Lowes you mean. All the terrible terrible head office Rona people now run Lowes. Moved their head office from Toronto area to whatever crab hole Rona was from. I see the same ugly corporate mistakes being made at Lowes that used to be made at Rona.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22887 posts
21731 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jerico wrote: Rona took over Lowes you mean. All the terrible terrible head office Rona people now run Lowes. Moved their head office from Toronto area to whatever crab hole Rona was from. I see the same ugly corporate mistakes being made at Lowes that used to be made at Rona.
Guess it depends where you live.

Lowes is far superior in Eastern Ontario than Rona. Whereas in Quebec, not a lot of Lowe’s around ... still Rona territory.

In Quebec I still quite like BMR. Home Depot is pretty meh there
(It seems to me, when it comes to Lowes & Home Depot ... it’s another case of a US Co not that jazzed on growing their biz in Quebec more than anything else)
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
Home depot is decent. It's just a big box store that provides consistency and coverage across large areas.

Are there plenty of stores in the GTA (just going with the area I know, but I assume its the same for most) that are way better, you bet, most of them specialize in one or two specific things. That said, sometimes I can't, and a lot of the time most people, can't drive to Etobicoke for power tools, or Vaughan for trim, etc etc. Also, most of these specialty stores have more so contractor hours, so for homeowners its hard to make it cross town to get something during your normal working hours.

All things considered I rarely shop at HD anymore unless its just to pick up something for convince. This said their price match policy is pretty good, and if you know prices of everything you know what to be aware of. Lots of items there are fairly priced, and some items *cough* trim *cough* are just insanely over priced.

In the end, HD carries a lot of products that are harder to ship that people want, so depending on where you live sometimes it may be your only option.

All in all, I think HD serves its purpose, carries generally good stuff, and provides a much needed service to a lot of people. If you happen to live in an area with superior stores, then all the better for you.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7135 upvotes
Paris
PointsHubby wrote:
Lowes is far superior in Eastern Ontario than Rona. Whereas in Quebec, not a lot of Lowe’s around ... still Rona territory.
What I am saying is that Lowes Canada ran their business a certain way. A 2 way relationship with suppliers, plenty of special order stuff you would never even know about unless you asked, xx amount of employees on the floor.

Now it’s old Rona people making those decisions. How you take a profitable business, buy out an unprofitable one and put the people from the unprofitable one in charge of the profitable one I don’t get at all. They are just making the same bad decisions for Lowes that sunk Rona.

Edit: see example... target and zellers
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8045 posts
9022 upvotes
Montréal
Jerico wrote: Rona took over Lowes you mean. All the terrible terrible head office Rona people now run Lowes. Moved their head office from Toronto area to whatever crab hole Rona was from. I see the same ugly corporate mistakes being made at Lowes that used to be made at Rona.
???

Rona been bought by Lowe's in 2016. Lowe's paid more than $3 Billions CAD. Rona head office was not in Toronto, but in Boucherville, Qc. Now it is run from the US by Lowe's head office. Boucherville is the "Canadian "head office""

https://www.rona.ca/en/about-us
https://www.lowescanada.ca/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rona,_Inc.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Lowe's ... 73.4200252
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8045 posts
9022 upvotes
Montréal
PointsHubby wrote: Guess it depends where you live.

In Quebec I still quite like BMR. Home Depot is pretty meh there
(It seems to me, when it comes to Lowes & Home Depot ... it’s another case of a US Co not that jazzed on growing their biz in Quebec more than anything else)
As far as I know there is no Lowe's in Qc. After the takeover of Rona by Lowe's in 2016 they kept Rona banner in Qc, because Rona is a well known banner in Qc. since 1939. But they have the same products, same sales. Lowe's owns 2 different bannersi n Qc. AKA Rona and Réno-Dépôt
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36414 posts
10691 upvotes
Ottawa
Big box stores have a range of products. From the "discount'" no name stuff for those folks that think cheaper is better and brand name high quality that think that is best.
Home Depot, Lowes even Home Hardware all have a range.

In my area, the Rona was kind of a junk store. We would go to look but rarely bought. I think that is why Lowes was able to take over. Rona (and Reno Depot) is still around but mostly in French speaking areas of Ontario and in Quebec.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1526 posts
1055 upvotes
Longueuil
I don't think they are crap. Home Depot carries some brands that Rona doesn't, depending on what I need I might go there. Their regular prices are often better. And the pricing structure of Rona is terrible, worst I have ever seen. The stores don't have the same prices (I am not talking about clearance items). I have to check at least 2 Rona around my house because of that. This is 2020, prices should be the same for a store (I am not taking about Rona vs Réno-Dépôt).

The Home Depot web site is better than Rona/Réno-Dépôt. The description and details are more accurate and there are reviews. The stock status at Rona is terrible, I always check before going that there are items in stock. I get there, I don't find the item, I ask an employee and he doesn't find them either. I mention it shows in stock on the web site and he says the web site is not accurate. One even told me that the quantities are approximation manually entered by employees (I have a hard time believing that they don't have a computer system that adds the items received from the suppliers and subtracts the sales when people buy them).

I have never seen Lowe's stores in Québec but they have an office (warehouse?) in Longueuil on De la Province, I am not sure what they are doing there if they also have an office in Boucherville.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3208 posts
1175 upvotes
Lévis
I'm more talking about service. I normally go to Canac because they have better prices...and better service than Home depot.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10702 posts
3365 upvotes
lowes owns Rona
Rona prices are always 10-20% higher then home depot
rona and lowes have terrible websites that only show a portion of what they sell.

i actually went to lowes yesterday to buy lag bolts, i needed 24. i saw singles and 100s of different sizes boxes up on a shelf like 15 feet up in the air.

i went to the cashier and asked do you have these in a box (boxes are way cheaper FYI)

she looks at me and says, was it on the shelf? i said i dunno its 15 feet up in the air. she says if its not on the shelf we dont have it, i asked her to check in her computer inventory and she told me she cant.

i then went to homedepot and found what i wanted in 2 minutes, it was cheaper, and they even had a self checkout so i didnt have to interact with anyone.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5296 posts
2739 upvotes
Home Depot trumps all for back end service, although I prefer to shop in Lowe’s stores
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11094 posts
4339 upvotes
I prefer Lowes, I like the layout much more than Home Depot's and service wise I've always had better experiences shopping at Lowes. This could be a YMMV thing.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8686 posts
4928 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Service has never been a strong point with Rona/Reno and HD but in our area generally the prices for same items are less at Rona/Reno.

Service story before Lowe's and Rona/Reno got together. Went to get a plumbing item at Rona/Reno... couldn't get a rep that was available. Went to HD, found a rep and was told he didn't want to help me find it and that I should look for it myself. This was a small specific part so not easiest to find on wall of parts!! Drove 2 minutes to nearby Lowe's and found rep who walked with me to aisle and picked out matching part.

Did complain to HD and got call back but they were more inclined to defend rep.

More recently have been going to a Rona/Reno that is further away in less populated area and so far service has been good there. Think many a times service is more of location and reps biased then particular chain of stores.

OT: Actually own HD stock and not Lowe's but hey performance has been good!!
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1501 posts
916 upvotes
ottawa
Personally I prefer home Depot. Most of the Lowe's I find in Ottawa have terrible customer experience reps on the floor, home Depot has usually been friendlier, and the prices I find are better than Lowe's for the items I need. I don't really discriminate though both are ok and the price matching policies keep me going there 90% of the time.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10702 posts
3365 upvotes
so i just spend 10,000 dollars on trex decking, framing lumber, a gazebo, privacy screen, lights etc

i called around for quotes, i called Rona, lowes, homedepot, co-op, and a local place called windor plywood (who everyone raved about)

the only place that called me back (and its been around 2 months now) is home depot.

I wasnt looking for the best price necessarly, but time to ship, return policies etc.

the worst by far was CO-OP, i wont step foot in that store again. i actually went in store and ordered privacy screen, and they told me 2 weeks to get it in, then called me on week 3 and said its never coming, and then the next flyer 3 days later had the same privacy screen in the flyer. i went to lowes and bought it in person one day instead.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2429 posts
3204 upvotes
For big box, I much prefer Home Depot. Lowes always sucked. Rona/Reno Depot sucked. Now since Lowes owns Rona, they doubly suck. I never understood how Rona can suck so bad. All they had to do was copy what Home Depot is doing -> Easy returns. Easy pricematch. Order stuff online and receive it. Excellent customer service.

Rona/Lowe have NONE of this BUT higher prices.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6598 posts
6074 upvotes
I am VERY happy and satisfied with HD - it is my preferred store and much better than Lowes (which is quite pathetic iMO), Rona, Home Hardware or Canadian Tire in every sense but particularly customer service and they always price match without any headache unlike Lowes, such bad customer service.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7135 upvotes
Paris
simplypop wrote: For big box, I much prefer Home Depot. Lowes always sucked. Rona/Reno Depot sucked. Now since Lowes owns Rona, they doubly suck. I never understood how Rona can suck so bad. All they had to do was copy what Home Depot is doing -> Easy returns. Easy pricematch. Order stuff online and receive it. Excellent customer service.

Rona/Lowe have NONE of this BUT higher prices.
Old Rona piss poor head office employees now running the show.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)