• Apr 27th, 2020 9:10 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19207 posts
5289 upvotes
Toronto

Home Depot credit card processing failing for many online orders

After a couple of successful and very quickly fulfilled purchases from Home Depot last week, I decided to order again from them, instead of from Lowe's or Rona since they were slower.

However, after today's order, I got a notification that my credit card transaction could not be processed, and I had to call in to get that fixed. If not fixed, then the order would get cancelled within 24 hours. I called the listed number several times and never got an answer. It didn't even ring, as if the line was completely down, and my phone said the call failed. So I called the store and they said tons of people had the same issue, and the stores can't correct this. The customer must call the central 800 number listed, but since so many people have had this credit card verification issue, their 800 number was totally slammed.

Finally much later I got an answer and went through the menu system, only to get a recorded message saying their phone system is at capacity and they can't put me in the queue, and to call back later.

I checked my credit card and see that only $1 test attempts for billing were made. The full amount wasn't charged. So, I ended up just ordering from Lowe's instead.
1 reply
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19207 posts
5289 upvotes
Toronto
Several hours later after the store closed, I got another email saying they've updated my credit card info themselves (?) and charged my credit card.

So then I had to call back again to cancel, since I had re-ordered from elsewhere. Again, their main number was slammed so I couldn't cancel through that. However, fortunately the next day the local store was able to refund the order over the phone.