• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2018 4:52 am
Tags:
None
Jul 4, 2008
458 posts
13 upvotes
Hamilton
wl09 wrote: Dual hose is better because Dual hose unit can be converted to single hose unit, just detach the exhaust hose. :)

only if the window attachment lets you close the hole. I suppose you can put something in gap as well...
May 3, 2004
93 posts
49 upvotes
jmgk wrote: only if the window attachment lets you close the hole. I suppose you can put something in gap as well...
Most of the time, dual hose system works far better then single hose.

If I do need, duck tape is a easy solution.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2575 posts
373 upvotes
Nepean
fillalph wrote: My windows either push out sideways [IMG]http://www.visionarii.com.au/images/til ... styles.jpg[/IMG] (top left window). Are they window kits that will fit this style of window?
I just got some 2x4, some L cornder brackets and made a box for it to fit in the window and bought some plexi glass to cover the top half. Takes 20 min to install each year but solves the problem fine
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4590 posts
1573 upvotes
ogcmtl wrote: Me too. The hit on my credit rating for applying for a home depot card is not worth it at all! Pay the $20 and save your rating for when you really need it. The difference can save you over $1000 on a mortgage where your interest rate is determined by your credit rating.

Who believes this nonsense?
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Sep 26, 2011
9 posts
NORTH YORK
jcon wrote: Who believes this nonsense?

It's true though. My boyfriend worked for a bank and it's exactly how it went. Each time you get a credit card, you lower your credit rating.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3196 upvotes
Oakville
Yes it's true you can convert, However, certain models, like those made by Haier are designed to do just that.
crabjuice wrote: Has anyone tried the Eurodib by Chigo?
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... opnav=&s=1

It has good stats but I don't know if it works fine.
By the way, I can't find the source again, but I read that you can turn a dual hose into a single hose, by unplugging the intake. So basically, it just cools the air that's already in the room and throws out the head. Any confirmation of that?

I currently have this model (Comfort Aire PD-121) but really, it's not good. It can't keep up with the greenhouse that is my office. Do people here have thoughts on it?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3196 upvotes
Oakville
That is not true for all portable dual hose air conditioner, it works splendid for those dual hose system which were designed to be reverted into single hose, like from Haier. Those that dont specifically stipulate to do this can still do it, but not as good as a originally designed single hose system.

A single hose system was designed specifically to use cooled air and direct it internally into the compression system before it leaks into the air. The solution you are talking about would use the ambiant air in the room to cool the compression system. Both work, but the single hose works more efficiently in this case (less drawing power needed, etc).
wl09 wrote: Dual hose is better because Dual hose unit can be converted to single hose unit, just detach the intake hose. :)
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3196 upvotes
Oakville
LOL welcome to the world of Crediting

You can call the help line at Equifax 1-800-465-7166

or Call TransUnion Canada at 1-800-663-9980

They can tell you how your credit rating is calculated in a nutshell, or just google it. For certain applying for many credit cards in a short period of time (same calendar year), cancelling credit cards, owing collection agencies, even not paying certain fines can effect your credit history and thus your rating.

It is almost like Car Insurance, where they take so much into consideration and different insurance companies come out with different rates for the same individual applying. Credit Rating companies will also have different ratings for the same individual. When you apply for a loan of any sort, over say $5000, they will most certainly check this history and set your interest rate based on it.
jcon wrote: Who believes this nonsense?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
4093 posts
1404 upvotes
pfff! FS has the same for 550$ but in a darker color so they won't accept my PM.

Does home depot accept open boxes return?
I bought it but I'm not 100% sure I'll use it.
I might take a look at costco.
Apr 23, 2011
902 posts
112 upvotes
TORONTO
zdpz wrote: That is not true for all portable dual hose air conditioner, it works splendid for those dual hose system which were designed to be reverted into single hose, like from Haier. Those that dont specifically stipulate to do this can still do it, but not as good as a originally designed single hose system.

A single hose system was designed specifically to use cooled air and direct it internally into the compression system before it leaks into the air. The solution you are talking about would use the ambiant air in the room to cool the compression system. Both work, but the single hose works more efficiently in this case (less drawing power needed, etc).

yeah, with a single hose system, there is only one fan.
With dual hose, you have two fans. Two fans will be louder and consume more power.
Feb 7, 2011
33 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks OP

Got one at the heartland home depot in mississauga if anyone is interested....there are still a few left as of yesterday. Set it up last night and works like a charm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9666 posts
2326 upvotes
Montreal, QC
This is not a Danby "Premier" and only carries 12 months warranty vs 24 months on the dual hose 11k BTU DPAC11012 that was on sale at Costco last week at the same price and at BestBuy for $330.

Right now LD have a 12k BTU dual hose DPAC12099 for $300 until June 3rd, not sure about stock though
Sep 18, 2008
334 posts
58 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
crabjuice wrote: Has anyone tried the Eurodib by Chigo?
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... opnav=&s=1

It has good stats but I don't know if it works fine.
By the way, I can't find the source again, but I read that you can turn a dual hose into a single hose, by unplugging the intake. So basically, it just cools the air that's already in the room and throws out the head. Any confirmation of that?

I currently have this model (Comfort Aire PD-121) but really, it's not good. It can't keep up with the greenhouse that is my office. Do people here have thoughts on it?

I am also interested to know more about this model, any input is appreciated.
Aug 8, 2010
1 posts
I just purchased one of theses units for my home office. It's on the second floor, with a few computers pumping out heat.
It has been unbearable for the last week with the weather. Even with my home ac running my office reaches 85F +, unbearable.
I did not want to spend more than 299. I was mixed about buying the LG 7000 BTU unit after reading the reviews.
When I got to my local home depot in Markham they had about 6 of these which were not there the day before.

After looking up the unit I was not able to find to much information, except this forum.
I have a crank window which posed some problems for me as I had never installed a portable ac unit before.
After reading, and youtube video's I decided to buy a piece of plexi glass, cut it to the proper size.
Used 3m double sided tape to attach it to the inside of the window frame, then foil tape to seal it even further.
I had to cut the vent bracket that came with the unit to fit my window, the whole process took about 1hr.
I did not want to use wood, and the clear plexi is almost transparent on the window.

The noise from the unit is not unbearable, doesn't bother me at all. I was a little worried about reading the LG
unit sounded like an airplane.

My office is about 250 sq ft, with two computers that pump out alot of heat. So far after about 20 min this unit has
dropped room temp from 85 to 73. I am quite happy.

Hopefully this unit has some longevity and last for a couple of years. I will not be using it constantly, only when it
get's unbearable.. I'll give it a couple of weeks to see how it performs.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
12656 posts
2588 upvotes
crabjuice wrote: It's true though. My boyfriend worked for a bank and it's exactly how it went. Each time you get a credit card, you lower your credit rating.
i have had 46 credit cards in my credit history (of 25 yrs) and my score is at 818