• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2019 8:29 pm
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
18 posts
28 upvotes

[Home Depot] DEWALT 20-Volt Max 1/2-in Brushless Cordless Drill Kit

First post so please be nice!

Dewalt brushless 20V 1/2 max drill combo is on sale at Lowe's for $99.50 and Home Depot is willing to price match this for $89.95!

The kit has 2 batteries and a charger.

Here's the link from Lowe's for the PM: https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordless-d ... ded-797362

Thanks
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3048 posts
2159 upvotes
Oh dam. Just bought this at 99.99 and still think its a steal.
28 upvotes
Darn .. my local homedepot does not have it in stock. I just got the $88 ryobi 18v drill and impact drill bundle. I have a loews nextdoor .. is it worth getting the dewalt for 99? I am a new home owner so need tools asap. Any good suggestion on bits for the dewalt?
Jun 27, 2018
310 posts
270 upvotes
The link goes to Lowe’s and on the title it is Home Dépôt. Not a problem. Home Depot will price match. Very good price Thumbs Up Sign
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
18 posts
28 upvotes
wills1 wrote: The link goes to Lowe’s and on the title it is Home Dépôt. Not a problem. Home Depot will price match. Very good price Thumbs Up Sign
Yes, as the posts says to use the link to price match it at Home Depot. Lol did it work for you?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4263 posts
3399 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
JayRich1 wrote: Thoughts on this versus the RYOBI deal?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1000751342

Very minimal DIY work around the home. First drill purchase.
The biggest difference is what the tools do. A drill is for drilling holes, while an impact driver is for driving screws. Unless you've attempted to drive a screw with a drill, it's had to describe the benefits of an impact driver.

For a first time purchaser, I cannot stress enough the value of spending a bit more and buying this Ridgid kit over both the Dewalt and Ryobi.

Yes, it's $68 more, but if you register for the Lifetime Service Agreement, you will get free battery replacements. Forever.
As a light user, this will be the biggest benefit to you. However, should a chuck stop locking or a trigger malfunction, they are also covered under the LSA.

I bought a 14.4V drill and impact kit in 2003. I had multiple batteries replaced free of charge since then. In 2009 I "upgraded" to an 18V kit, and the 14.4V became my keep around the house kit (I use these tools for work).
Last year the 14.4V drill stopped working. No parts were available, so Ridgid sent me a new 18V drill with charger and two batteries.

I've had numerous batteries for the 18V kit replaced free of charge since then, as well as the chuck on the drill, the trigger on the impact driver, and a charger. Any single one of these failures would most likely resulted in me going out and buying an entirely new set.

The essential pieces are to be organised. Set up an account and register your tools for the LSA. Upload the receipt and follow up if you do not receive a confirmation.
Dec 26, 2012
60 posts
30 upvotes
New Brunswick
MrFrugal1 wrote: The biggest difference is what the tools do. A drill is for drilling holes, while an impact driver is for driving screws. Unless you've attempted to drive a screw with a drill, it's had to describe the benefits of an impact driver.

For a first time purchaser, I cannot stress enough the value of spending a bit more and buying this Ridgid kit over both the Dewalt and Ryobi.

Yes, it's $68 more, but if you register for the Lifetime Service Agreement, you will get free battery replacements. Forever.
As a light user, this will be the biggest benefit to you. However, should a chuck stop locking or a trigger malfunction, they are also covered under the LSA.

I bought a 14.4V drill and impact kit in 2003. I had multiple batteries replaced free of charge since then. In 2009 I "upgraded" to an 18V kit, and the 14.4V became my keep around the house kit (I use these tools for work).
Last year the 14.4V drill stopped working. No parts were available, so Ridgid sent me a new 18V drill with charger and two batteries.

I've had numerous batteries for the 18V kit replaced free of charge since then, as well as the chuck on the drill, the trigger on the impact driver, and a charger. Any single one of these failures would most likely resulted in me going out and buying an entirely new set.

The essential pieces are to be organised. Set up an account and register your tools for the LSA. Upload the receipt and follow up if you do not receive a confirmation.
Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated! I was curious as to why it seems all combos are on sale for around the same price, $168 when one would have to assume there is at least some difference in overall performance. Not that I am overly opposed to paying the extra $70-$80, but I just don't know if I would get the value out of it. However, a major oversight by me was that batteries will still decay when not in use. So despite maybe only using it a handful of times per month, the batteries may still die after a year or whatever.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4263 posts
3399 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
JayRich1 wrote: Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated! I was curious as to why it seems all combos are on sale for around the same price, $168 when one would have to assume there is at least some difference in overall performance. Not that I am overly opposed to paying the extra $70-$80, but I just don't know if I would get the value out of it. However, a major oversight by me was that batteries will still decay when not in use. So despite maybe only using it a handful of times per month, the batteries may still die after a year or whatever.
The batteries on any of these tools will last longer than a year. They aren't like the old NiCads, where they had diminished capacity when not used. Most batteries these days have cold/hot charging protection circuitry built in (a major killer of batteries), so you can't go wrong there. Being batteries though, they can only withstand so many cycles.

Apart from the batteries, the LSA is still a great value, even if you only ever used it once.
That said, both Dewalt and Ryobi are decent products (Ryobi is actually owned by TTI, the same company that owns Ridgid), and I don't want to tell you how to spend your money. If you don't want to spend the extra $68, (which, I understand, it looks kinda like buying warranty insurance), then I'd go with the Ryobi set. The impact driver being the biggest benefit.
Last edited by MrFrugal1 on Dec 1st, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1315 posts
743 upvotes
Ryobi 18 V, this is 20V. Might be a bit heavier and more power? Depending on the application might be good, might not.
Also this is brushless so it seems like a hot deal, depending on size and weight.
I bought the Ryobi combo, but I would like more this bad boy in pair with a variable speed driver.
So right now thinking of returning the combo and get the batteries combo pack and wait for a deal on the hammer drill and variable speed impact driver.
Although the combo is not bad either and I have a corded hammer drill.
Last edited by govas19 on Dec 1st, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 26, 2012
60 posts
30 upvotes
New Brunswick
MrFrugal1 wrote: The batteries on any of these tools will last longer than a year. They aren't like the old NiCads, where they had diminished capacity when not used. Most batteries have cold/hot charging protection circuitry built in these days (a major killer), so you can't go wrong there. Being batteries though, they can only withstand so many cycles.
Apart from the batteries, the LSA is still a great value, even if you only ever used it once.
Any reason for Rigid over DeWalt? My indecisiveness has had me going back and forth between DeWalt and Ryobi for over a year... I decided to finally pull he trigger on that $88 set (although I don't mind returning) under the mindset that it is solely for home use and everything I read said ryobi would be more than enough for my intended purposes. Also, although I am far from brand loyal, I wouldn't mind picking one company and sticking with it, for battery compatibility, overall symmetry, etc.

Still pretty torn...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4263 posts
3399 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
JayRich1 wrote: Any reason for Rigid over DeWalt? My indecisiveness has had me going back and forth between DeWalt and Ryobi for over a year... I decided to finally pull he trigger on that $88 set (although I don't mind returning) under the mindset that it is solely for home use and everything I read said ryobi would be more than enough for my intended purposes. Also, although I am far from brand loyal, I wouldn't mind picking one company and sticking with it, for battery compatibility, overall symmetry, etc.

Still pretty torn...
Ridgid=LSA, more money
Dewalt=Yellow(?)
Ryobi=Inexpensive

As an aside, the batteries for the 18V Ridgid system are backwards compatible. My 2008 batteries fit my 2019 Ridgid cordless circular saw.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4263 posts
3399 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
govas19 wrote: Ryobi 18 V, this is 20V. Might be a bit heavier and more power? Depending on the application might be good, might not.
The Voltage Wars is largely a marketing ploy.
They are all playing this game.
Dec 26, 2012
60 posts
30 upvotes
New Brunswick
MrFrugal1 wrote: Ridgid=LSA, more money
Dewalt=Yellow(?)
Ryobi=Inexpensive

As an aside, the batteries for the 18V Ridgid system are backwards compatible. My 2008 batteries fit my 2019 Ridgid cordless circular saw.
LSA?

And any opinion on why all these Combo kits are priced the same (Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ridgid, Makita...)?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4263 posts
3399 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
JayRich1 wrote: LSA?

And any opinion on why all these Combo kits are priced the same (Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ridgid, Makita...)?
LSA = Lifetime Service Agreement.
You did read the lengthy post I made on this, correct? I hope you know there will be a test on comprehension at the end of this exercise.
Or you can just send me $29.95 to receive your certificate. PM me your banking details.
Dec 26, 2012
60 posts
30 upvotes
New Brunswick
MrFrugal1 wrote: LSA = Lifetime Service Agreement.
You did read the lengthy post I made on this, correct? I hope you know there will be a test on comprehension at the end of this exercise.
Or you can just send me $29.95 to receive your certificate. PM me your banking details.
Hahaha that's my bad! I was literally re-reading your posts when I saw what it stood for, I just read it as warranty.

Once again, all the information is much appreciated!!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4263 posts
3399 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
JayRich1 wrote: Hahaha that's my bad! I was literally re-reading your posts when I saw what it stood for, I just read it as warranty.

Once again, all the information is much appreciated!!
Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

(Seriously, just PM me your banking info. I'll send you a really nice, frame ready certificate you can impress your friends and family with. Only $29.95)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2032 posts
455 upvotes
Burlington
JayRich1 wrote: Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated! I was curious as to why it seems all combos are on sale for around the same price, $168 when one would have to assume there is at least some difference in overall performance. Not that I am overly opposed to paying the extra $70-$80, but I just don't know if I would get the value out of it. However, a major oversight by me was that batteries will still decay when not in use. So despite maybe only using it a handful of times per month, the batteries may still die after a year or whatever.
I would start with Ryobi. The nice thing about Ryobi is they have a lot of different tools for a good price that go on-sale. You can get a collection of tools and find out what you use and what you need better.

If you need a better drill/impact gun your can buy a different system for that when they go on-sale again. But if you want a nailer Ryobi is on-sale for $88 DeWalt is like $399. If you are using it for a project $88 will probably do. Once you have a charger the batteries go on-sale quite often there are 2 4mah for $88 for bf while the DeWalt are quite a bit more.

Ive been using the 12v Milwaukee for a few years now and the drill, impact gun have done most of my projects but the tools start getting expensive and no nail gun.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)