DeWalt 20V Max Compact 4 AH Battery 2-Pack for $149

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2021 9:57 am
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3017 posts
1604 upvotes
powertool battery noob question: Are these 4AHs better than the XR 5AH ones?

Also, ne1 knowns what SB in "DEWALT SB DW 20V MAX Li-Ion Batt 2PK" means?
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Aug 27, 2006
486 posts
1081 upvotes
GTA
bogolisk wrote: powertool battery noob question: Are these 4AHs better than the XR 5AH ones?

Also, ne1 knowns what SB in "DEWALT SB DW 20V MAX Li-Ion Batt 2PK" means?
Not sure why those 4AH's regular price is higher than 5AH.
The 5AH have more capacity which means lasts longer.
Maybe pay premium for the compact/light weight?
Dec 1, 2010
252 posts
180 upvotes
Windsor
el'ation wrote: Not sure why those 4AH's regular price is higher than 5AH.
The 5AH have more capacity which means lasts longer.
Maybe pay premium for the compact/light weight?
Agreed.. if you can wait, I picked up a 2pk of 5AH on sale for $10 more a few months ago.
Last edited by socioguru on Jul 2nd, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2019
227 posts
324 upvotes
Niagara Region
This is a good deal as these batteries are compact, about the same size as the 2.0Ah ones. I have a couple of the 4.0Ah full size ones and they are rather bulky and get in the way on a couple of tools. For example, I have the 18V circular saw, and when I add the adapter and 4.0Ah battery, it reduces my cutting height quite a bit. I also find them too big for smaller tools like drills and flashlights.

So, keep that in mind when looking at these batteries.
Jan 15, 2017
269 posts
237 upvotes
I got one of these free with a dewalt weed eater. It also came with a 5AH regular battery (Home Depot just included a 4AH compact as a bonus offer) and I already had a few batteries as well. I can say that for high power draw tools this battery SUCKS. Even though it came with the weed eater, actually using it caused the battery to overheat, so that means the tool stops working even though the battery still has charge and when you try to put it on the charger it flashes an overheating error at you. If I had to buy one I would certainly not and would buy a regular size 5AH battery instead. Both the new and old 5AH batteries that I had worked flawlessly with the weed eater without overheating. That said, a weed eater is a bit of a special case, its used for long periods with only minimal rest and has a powerful motor that is located at a distance from the battery pack so more resistance to power flowing from pack to motor. For most tools like drills that are less powerful and used more intermittently I am sure this would be fine
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3017 posts
1604 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: powertool battery noob question: Are these 4AHs better than the XR 5AH ones?
Same price at HD.
echotango wrote: Much better deal ! .... and from Fergus to boot !
Why is it a much better deal than the same 5AH xr from HD? and who is Fergus?
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Nov 27, 2016
342 posts
383 upvotes
m8x
bogolisk wrote: Same price at HD.

Why is it a much better deal than the same 5AH xr from HD? and who is Fergus?
Isn't 5 better than 4 ? Look at the OP.

Fergus us an extremely beautiful small town in central Ontario Canada which is well known for their annual Scottish Highland Games and if still in operation, the famous "Fergus burger".

Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1592 posts
5211 upvotes
Calgary, AB
echotango wrote: Isn't 5 better than 4 ? Look at the OP.

Fergus us an extremely beautiful small town in central Ontario Canada which is well known for their annual Scottish Highland Games and if still in operation, the famous "Fergus burger".

Smiling Face With Sunglasses
It has more capacity for longer run time, but these specific 4ah batteries use condensed cells so they are more compact than the standard 4ah, and certainly more than the 5ah mentioned.

Depends on what you need. If physical size is zero concern then 100% go for the 5ah deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1118 posts
247 upvotes
Oakville
tomadams wrote: I got one of these free with a dewalt weed eater. It also came with a 5AH regular battery (Home Depot just included a 4AH compact as a bonus offer) and I already had a few batteries as well. I can say that for high power draw tools this battery SUCKS. Even though it came with the weed eater, actually using it caused the battery to overheat, so that means the tool stops working even though the battery still has charge and when you try to put it on the charger it flashes an overheating error at you. If I had to buy one I would certainly not and would buy a regular size 5AH battery instead. Both the new and old 5AH batteries that I had worked flawlessly with the weed eater without overheating. That said, a weed eater is a bit of a special case, its used for long periods with only minimal rest and has a powerful motor that is located at a distance from the battery pack so more resistance to power flowing from pack to motor. For most tools like drills that are less powerful and used more intermittently I am sure this would be fine
Echo this. Used these on my circular saw on a past project where I had to notch a bunch of 6x6's - very frustrating with the short battery life (likely due to overheating).