• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 9:49 pm
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
19 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver

[Home Depot] Dewalt Atomic Tool - Free Battery

If you already have a charger, and are in the dewalt tool system, this is a fairly good deal. There may be other tools as well not listed.

You get a free 2ah battery. They say it is a $129 value, i would call it more like $40 or $50 free item.

Some of the tools were also recently discounted as well.

Sub Compact Mini Circ Saw - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dewalt ... 1001341837
Oscillating Tool - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dewalt ... 01341838[u][/u]
Mini Reciprocating saw - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dewalt ... 1001470820
Hammer drill/driver - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dewalt ... 1001158114
48 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1119 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto
Can a grinder be used for cutting as well? Can I install cutting discs on it?

I'm just trying to understand if I need a circular saw, if I'm not looking for precision cutting.
Apr 6, 2013
237 posts
144 upvotes
mawzi wrote: Can a grinder be used for cutting as well? Can I install cutting discs on it?

I'm just trying to understand if I need a circular saw, if I'm not looking for precision cutting.
No. Terrible idea to try that without the proper guards and support that this saw has.

Second, from one of the reviews they say the arbor size is 3/8", your grinder would be 5/8" so the blades won't fit on. Thinking they did that partly to discourage anyone from trying to install the blades on a regular grinder.

I'm assuming by cutting discs you meant the saw blades from the saw listed in the post and cutting wood.
If you mean metal cutting discs to cut metal, then yes that's basically what a grinder is made for.
Last edited by grahamj89 on Jul 29th, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 5, 2008
476 posts
194 upvotes
mawzi wrote: Can a grinder be used for cutting as well? Can I install cutting discs on it?

If it's powerful enough. I use a DeWalt 60v grinder for cutting metal with the CT disc packs.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1970 posts
2485 upvotes
Toronto
lol.... 2AH battery for 130 bucks!! someone from CT working at HD?
Dec 4, 2017
154 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto-ON
This or a circular saw? Don't have any today.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1233 posts
162 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MrMello wrote: This or a circular saw? Don't have any today.
Not a pro just diy I would say circular.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2933 posts
1663 upvotes
Was excited until I saw the battery.

Not bad if youre looking for these tools specifically I guess.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
1908 posts
501 upvotes
Nepean
Good deal if you are in the market for one, but a 2Ah battery isn't worth that much. I own that circular saw and it comes in quite handy for small cuts, or for use up on a ladder, even though I own a few other corded and cordless circular saws. The extra reach for cutting plywood also comes in handy.
Wrocky
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1892 posts
485 upvotes
Ottawa
Dang it, I just picked up one of these 10 days ago.

Should I make a new order, and then return my previous order? :/
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
19 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
The mini reciprocating saw is great for the yard. Perfect for cutting up branches into the green bin. It is nice being one handed so you can hold branches with one hand and cut with the other. The 2ah is nice for that, to make it lighter, but certainly not great for a ton of run time on a high drain device like a circular saw.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
19 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
FreezingCanada wrote: Dang it, I just picked up one of these 10 days ago.

Should I make a new order, and then return my previous order? :/
Thats what i did, since i need to go there anyways to get something else.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1892 posts
485 upvotes
Ottawa
Don't forget GCR for another 1.15% back.

Ordered the circular saw since that's the last piece of my portable-ish toolset.

vancity1 wrote: Thats what i did, since i need to go there anyways to get something else.
Bleh, it looks like it isn't an option, since I previously ordered a DCS354B and it's OOS.

If I went into the store, do you think I could somehow get them to ring me up a free battery lol?
May 7, 2015
74 posts
25 upvotes
Newmarket
Argh. Frustrated cause i had just gotten the 4.5" circular 2 months ago for a similar (i think higher) price.

To see this now comes with a battery is a bit frustrating; but ditto, the 2.0a battery is worth nowhere close to $129.

I love the sub compact circular saw, easy to 1 hand, lots of functionality with the adjustable guard/fence. I also had a friend borrow it and cut vinyl flooring and he's a fan as well; gonna tell him to go buy his own.