• Nov 15th, 2020 12:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2664 posts
1333 upvotes
B.C.

Home Depot early Black Friday Deals Discussion

So I'm new to watching for deals like a hawk at Home Depot and figured I'd ask the experts. They have their "Black Friday" event on now and I went in to grab a couple of things - and checked out a couple of things that I had my eye on. They had a couple of Black Friday deals that aren't listed in the flyer - or online. Does HD do this on a regular basis?

It's weird because the flyer doesn't mention in store surprise deals.
5 replies
Mar 17, 2015
498 posts
819 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
lennyandcarl wrote: So I'm new to watching for deals like a hawk at Home Depot and figured I'd ask the experts. They have their "Black Friday" event on now and I went in to grab a couple of things - and checked out a couple of things that I had my eye on. They had a couple of Black Friday deals that aren't listed in the flyer - or online. Does HD do this on a regular basis?

It's weird because the flyer doesn't mention in store surprise deals.
I'll answer your question with a story.
Went in looking for coated aircraft cable to make a line for a dog run. Spotted a heavy duty pre-made 20' coated cable with a clip on both ends but it was the last one & package was opened, destroyed, poorly re-taped up. Told the department worker what I'd come in for, that I'd spotted the package, & politely stated I was wondering if they could give a better deal on the opened, trashed package. His response, very grumbly, "We don't negiotiate prices here!". So had him cut the cable I wanted (half the price). Took cut cable & the destroyed package to till. Politely asked same question to cashier, who called the supervisor over, who in turn offered me a very nice discount on it -- so I took both. Be polite & respectful, accept the no's but don't be afraid to ask different people -- sometimes you ask the wrong person (or location), sometimes the right, & sometimes it ain't negotiable. Final note is odds are better on damaged, last items, clearance stock, & slow moving stock (ie. store specific deals lol).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2664 posts
1333 upvotes
B.C.
Wheatboy wrote: I'll answer your question with a story.
Went in looking for coated aircraft cable to make a line for a dog run. Spotted a heavy duty pre-made 20' coated cable with a clip on both ends but it was the last one & package was opened, destroyed, poorly re-taped up. Told the department worker what I'd come in for, that I'd spotted the package, & politely stated I was wondering if they could give a better deal on the opened, trashed package. His response, very grumbly, "We don't negiotiate prices here!". So had him cut the cable I wanted (half the price). Took cut cable & the destroyed package to till. Politely asked same question to cashier, who called the supervisor over, who in turn offered me a very nice discount on it -- so I took both. Be polite & respectful, accept the no's but don't be afraid to ask different people -- sometimes you ask the wrong person (or location), sometimes the right, & sometimes it ain't negotiable. Final note is odds are better on damaged, last items, clearance stock, & slow moving stock (ie. store specific deals lol).
The weirdest thing I noticed is that they've priced the Milwaukee M12 batteries at $29 - but this price doesn't appear on the website or the flyer. It's not store specific though and it's on the printed Black Friday signs including the big one at the door.

I'm sure it's done to get people in the store to shop and not just to price match elsewhere. But you wouldn't know the deals are there unless you go in to the store.

I can share a similar anecdote about HD too. My grandparents were wandering around looking at toilet seats to replace one they tried to paint. The store manager was the one who directed them to the toilet seats and offered them a 25% discount on any toilet seat they wanted.

Then some years later we were at Home Depot buying laminate flooring and the flooring department employee, which had the usual terrible Home Depot attitude, didn't know that Square Feet and Square metres are different and sold my grandparents 400 sq M of flooring when they needed 400 sq ft. The Home Depot manager actually picked up the flooring on their way in to the store in the morning and gave them a refund.
Feb 25, 2003
433 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
There has been a mistake made this year at home depot. Whoever put the store signage together, didn't match it against the flyer. They will figure it out pretty soon because of bigger ticket items in there. I have already taken advantage of this. Depends on what you want to buy.
Mar 20, 2017
263 posts
542 upvotes
The discrepancies will be great for SCOP -$10 off
Aug 6, 2006
143 posts
36 upvotes
Concord
Can anyone tell me when the actual black friday deals are happening. Some are saying they've already started and because of COVID are spread out in weeks instead of one day. Others are saying there is still an actual day of black friday sales. Confused.