• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 12:44 pm
[OP]
Feb 14, 2021
83 posts
314 upvotes
YFC

[Home Depot] EKO stainless steel motion sensor trash can $59.98

Was looking for a kitchen trash can for the new house, found this little gem: HDX 40 L Motion Sensor Trash Can

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdx-40-l-motion-sensor-trash-can/1000846756

Judging from the model # and some Q&A responses, it is a rebranded EKO USA product. EKO makes some of the best sensor bins on the market. Slightly larger (45-50L) models are usually around US$80-120+, at CAD$60 it is a great deal.

Batteries (4xAA) are not included.
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 8th, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
14 replies
Apr 25, 2007
992 posts
95 upvotes
Markham
lol i'm kinda tempted in buying this due to laziness Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
RFD makes me poor =(
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4661 posts
4153 upvotes
seymournexus wrote: lol i'm kinda tempted in buying this due to laziness Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Google and Alexa making your life too easy?!? Lol...

Stepping on a lever to open the lid isn't too hard either!Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye

I'm more worried about having to change those batteries....
Dec 11, 2016
126 posts
98 upvotes
Imagine you got garbage in both hands and the lid wont open because the batteries are dead Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5311 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
I have this since last year and it’s great. Since last august I’ve had to change the batteries only once. It is convenient to have. No hiccups and a year later works flawless. I shopped around and this was the cheapest option and glad I bought it. No complaints from me :)
May 27, 2015
244 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Too bad it's not 4K, I was planning to watch Antman on Disney+.
Apr 3, 2005
778 posts
79 upvotes
Bought it two years ago on boxing day for $39… every one who saw it… loved it…. As for the batteries i don’t remember changing it and even if i have i only changed it once …
Its a pretty good trash can
P.S. : if you find lots of spelling mistakes in my above comment. This is what happens when you use the physical Keyboard (Blackberry) your whole life and then you have to settle with a virtual Keyboard.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15426 posts
10066 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Botopo wrote: Imagine you got garbage in both hands and the lid wont open because the batteries are dead Face With Tears Of Joy
The motor can also fail, why we never went sensor again and do not regret getting a manual SimpleHuman on sale, 10y warranty.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2379 posts
1202 upvotes
Ontario
I have owned two motion activated garbage cans for two years albeit a different brand and have had zero issues, the lid is lightweight so not tough on battery or the motor, people who complain about them don't seem to be speaking from real experience.
Currently happy customer with Telus and Freedom Mobile
Mar 26, 2012
225 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
In for one. I would like a hybrid where you can step on it too, but I guess that would be challenging with an electric motor.
Jul 8, 2012
997 posts
306 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Have a motion activated garbage can from Costco bought years ago. Hardly had to replace the 4 D sized batteries. Sensor having issues now, have to manually open, then sensor would work for a few days, then kaput again. Looking for a step one to replace.
Jan 12, 2017
699 posts
2079 upvotes
that's regular price. got one last year and so far so good. happy about the convenience.
May 22, 2020
27 posts
12 upvotes
Motion sensor garbage cans is a game changer. I pity those that don’t have it yet. It’s better than the manual step because spring for the step often gives out after couple years depending how hard you step on it.
Jun 25, 2006
294 posts
233 upvotes
Calgary
Also had this for about two years now, switched the batteries a couple times but it's definitely a rare occasion. Love that it uses AA batteries which are way cheaper than the D batteries used by others.
The five red LEDs make it pretty easy to tell when it'll shut on you, and you can tap on "Open" beside the LEDs to just keep it open until you press "Close."

It's been fantastic so far, no regrets buying at regular price. We use 30 gallon bags but you can probably get away with smaller ones. Not having the hole where the step lever would have been means there's no dust or cat hair under the garbage can.