Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Epoxyshield Garage Floor Coating In Gloss Grey, 7.1 L (covers up to 500 Sq. Ft.)

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2021 1:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1414 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Home Depot] Epoxyshield Garage Floor Coating In Gloss Grey, 7.1 L (covers up to 500 Sq. Ft.)

Garage Floor Coating In Gloss Grey

I have been looking into this and what better way to start the summer than getting the garage floor a decent coat.

If you have used this before, please kindly share your experience and it's always appreciated if we get some pictures attach to your response.

Looking at the Rust-Oleum website, looks like a fun project to do.
It's not that we are all going anywhere in the next few weeks.
One of the happiest moments in life . . .
"is when you find the courage to let go of what you can't change"
Thread Summary
Looking for more options? Check out RFD Reviews' list of the best garage floor coatings!
58 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7102 posts
5964 upvotes
Prep is key. But these DIY kit will eventually wear and peel.

Fun DIY project and look fine for a year or so. If you want something that lasts, get a pro to lay down polyurea type of product that can last way longer.
Last edited by Xtrema on May 14th, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 19, 2011
553 posts
294 upvotes
I’ve used this on our garage, it looks great. A bit slippery when wet so you can add sand or grit to it before applying for more traction.

Also, if applying directly on concrete, buy twice what the package says. We have a 900sq/ft garage and used 4 buckets. You need to mix all the buckets together to ensure even colour across the whole floor.
Oct 2, 2018
954 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
I have wanted to do my garage floor for years now, everything I read on the matter says it is all in the preparation stage.

My garage is 50 years old never parked a car in it, even with that I doubt I could get it clean enough for a masterful result. A new garage you have a chance, an older garage will be challenging even if you could acid etch it with non commercial grade, residential grade products.

Will follow this thread maybe advancements have been made.

Post away on your experiences and BEFORE and AFTER PICS appreciated. It would be good to know what the BEFORE STAGE of the garage floor looked like to know if our garage floors are a candidate.
Last edited by Ballroomblitz1 on May 14th, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1843 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
I used this on my garage last year while I was in isolation after returning from a trip at the start of the COVID lockdowns.

House was built in 2017, so my garage floor was fairly new concrete but it did have some staining.

Washed the floors, scrubbed them with a hard brush, let them dry. Etched them with the provided etching. Rinsed it off per the instructions.

Let it dry off with a couple of fans for a week.

Laid down the material - I bought the kit that covers a 2 car garage but it barely covered my single car garage. It's actually held up well. One corner was sticky for a very long time (likely because it was too cold in my garage when I laid it down although I did use a heater) but it has since firmed up. If you don't mix it right, or apply in the wrong setting it could potentially never dry up.

Overall I was pretty happy with the product to be honest.... I've washed my garage out a few times since and for the most part it just rinses everything off. Looks good, no peeling.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
May 5, 2016
201 posts
108 upvotes
here's my story... wife and i bought an older home that had an existing epoxy garage floor. we inherited a heavily pitted and spalling garage floor.

apparently, epoxy ain't forever. epoxy apparently is required for food processing plants. and as you'll find out, it ain't cheap.

yeah... like the previous poster mentioned above, it's all about surface prep. photo attached for you info. here's what we did...
  • went HAM using angle grinder and gas powered scarifier to remove the existing coating, and to rough up the concrete surface. it was a dusty dusty job.... not fun.
  • had some hook-ups with some contractor friends we knew, and they put on Ardex K301 Topping for us. there this primer put on the scarified concrete surface, and then he came a day or two later to spread the Ardex on top.
  • it's kind this "self-leveling" spread concrete stuff.
  • After that, we put some coloured concrete sealer from Dulux on top of it and that was it.
ardex is apparently used for airport runway applications and stuff like that. but supposedly it's the right thing for concrete that has "moisture problems".

wife and i promised each other that we would never park in the garage again. we turned into a workshop/outdoor kitchen/chillin' area/gym. it's a dope place to hang out.
Images
  • ardex garage.jpg
Jun 14, 2011
604 posts
577 upvotes
Toronto
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: I have wanted to do my garage floor for years now, everything I read on the matter says it is all in the preparation stage.

My garage is 50 years old never parked a car in it, even with that I doubt I could get it clean enough for a masterful result. A new garage you have a chance, an older garage will be challenging even if you could acid etch it with non commercial grade, residential grade products.

Post away on your experiences and BEFORE and AFTER PICS appreciated. It would be good to know what the BEFORE STAGE of the garage floor looked like to know if our garage floors are a candidate.
Just need to grind the garage floor.
Nov 14, 2007
336 posts
106 upvotes
I always wanted to do this especially summer is here, so weather allows. will follow this thread and see if anyone can post more feedbacks in doing this.
Nov 12, 2018
104 posts
78 upvotes
I just ordered trualloy from the states. After doing a lot of research on various products. I plan of using one of the concrete grinders (linked in an earlier post) to prep the pad.

My use is light automotive repair with ability to clean it quickly so we can work out in the garage aswell.

I'll post a thread about it once I'm done(1st week of July as house possession is June 30th)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1587 posts
399 upvotes
Edmonton
nikick wrote: I always wanted to do this especially summer is here, so weather allows. will follow this thread and see if anyone can post more feedbacks in doing this.
I always wanted to do this, every summer, every single time one of this threads pop up in RFD. I even, one summer, thanks to RFD, bought 2 boxes for really good deal. However, after learning the preparation process, do it by myself only, for an extended triple garage, and our bad habit of mistreat the garage floor, I backed out.

Saying that, I still love to read all the comments in this thread, summer after summer. :-)

Good luck in your adventure, please share your finish work with us. Cheers and stay safe.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2365 posts
415 upvotes
I did mine with it maybe five years ago. It still holds up for the most part. There are some chips here and there. I do use my garage for parking my cars so it is an area that gets a lot of traffic. As other people mentioned,, make sure you prep it as well as possible.
Mar 3, 2008
458 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
Would highly recommend you put the clear sealer on after the grey epoxy. Add extra anti slip grit.

The clear sealer is not water based and really makes it pop in colout and toughens up the floor.

I used the 2.5 garage kit and had some extra grey epoxy after for my 2 car garage. I used 1 clear gallon and it went on perfectly.
Images
  • 20201017_144844.jpg
  • 20201017_150544.jpg
Nov 7, 2011
125 posts
82 upvotes
AGASSIZ
I did my four car garage years ago when it used to be 69 bucks for a box, though not water based back then, but it has stood the test of time.
I have done a lot of welding, grinding and steel projects along with a scratch built car and it still looks like new after many years.
But like others have said there is no rushing the prep if one wants it to last, it really is the key to durability.
Take the time to tape plastic on the floor to make sure it has no moisture at all, degrease any stains and then degrease again and again if need be, pressure wash if you have one.
Just dont rush it and it will be worth all the extra time it takes.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1776 posts
726 upvotes
Calgary
Perfect timing OP!
PM’d at Lowe’s for another 10%, so $133.20.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1414 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON
duttydeals wrote: [*]went HAM using angle grinder and gas powered scarifier to remove the existing coating, and to rough up the concrete surface. it was a dusty dusty job.... not fun.
[/list]

ardex is apparently used for airport runway applications and stuff like that. but supposedly it's the right thing for concrete that has "moisture problems".
Why not do wet sanding? It will be less dusty..?
One of the happiest moments in life . . .
"is when you find the courage to let go of what you can't change"
Dec 19, 2007
63 posts
46 upvotes
I did my garage floor last year, so far everything goes well. Prep is key, but most people ignore the other two keys: Epoxy floor Primer and patients.

Step 1: Prepare and clean the garage floor area
Step 2: Etching the garage floor
Step 3: Wait at least 2-3 weeks until the concrete floor to dry completely
Step 4: Apply epoxy floor primer and wait at least 1-2 days
Step 5: Roll coating of epoxy paint, apply colored flakes
Step 6: Prepare the topcoat

I am using this Epoxy floor Primer: Rust-Oleum Garage & Interior Floor Primer

To prep concrete floors with an angle grinder is totally a joke,wet sanding absolutely correct way. Homedepot has some tools available for rent.

Diamabrush
Floor Maintainer
Oct 2, 2011
509 posts
372 upvotes
London
My girlfriend is a DIY blogger and just started this project yesterday!

As others have said, the prep work is significant.

She pressure washed, degreased, scrubbed and etched.

Now, the waiting game.

To see the progress, if interested...
May 5, 2016
201 posts
108 upvotes
gerbil wrote: Why not do wet sanding? It will be less dusty..?
My situation was unique. Our floor was very pitted.
Existingg epoxy coating was extremely difficult to remove.

We also rented the diamabrush and floor sander from home Depot and it did absolutely nothing. Scarifier was the only solution for us.

Probably not required for people with good shape existing garage floors
Jul 11, 2017
679 posts
802 upvotes
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: I have wanted to do my garage floor for years now, everything I read on the matter says it is all in the preparation stage.

Concrete grinder,polisher, done!