Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] **EXPIRED ONLINE** ecobee Room Sensor for ecobee Smart Thermostats (2-Pack) $59

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2019 10:35 am
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
46 posts
169 upvotes
Niagara

[Home Depot] **EXPIRED ONLINE** ecobee Room Sensor for ecobee Smart Thermostats (2-Pack) $59

ecobee Room Sensor for ecobee Smart Thermostats (2-Pack)
Model # EB-RSE3PK2-01

Free shipping. Could also price match/beat at Lowe's - https://www.lowes.ca/thermostats/ecobee ... 02451.html

I couldn't add it to the cart from the product page, as something seemed to be blocking it but could add it from the add to cart button on the below page
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... e%3Aecobee#
Last edited by costy11 on May 9th, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
62 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42086 posts
6646 upvotes
Thanks OP! How do these work by the way? Does the thermostat recognize the sensors and ensure the temperature in different areas are different? I.e. if I keep a sensor upstairs in one of the bedrooms, and 1 sensor in the family room?

Right now the only one sensor which is built in, is in the dining area.
Proud to be an Indian.
Oct 24, 2016
966 posts
819 upvotes
ON
I think the sensor works by way of when it detects a person in the room it then brings up the temperature in that room to the set level.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2010
1299 posts
376 upvotes
Surrey
It works like this.

You set you're main thermostat to a desired temperature and when you have room sensors,it senses the temperature in that room and averages it out with main thermostat. At least that's how mine is set up, and there are other ways as well.
Last edited by purplekush604 on May 2nd, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2460 posts
429 upvotes
GTA
Can we use this as motion sensors for other things? Ie
If someone enters the room, turn on lights
FS: Old school Nintendo Consoles
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=675445
FS:Sharp GF-777Z Classic Boombox Retro Ghetto Blaster 80s - the Holy Grail!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=631904
ACTION 52 Nintendo NES Multi Game (COLLECTORS ITEM)
action-52-nintendo-nes-multi-game-colle ... st13164059
Oct 3, 2016
365 posts
526 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
The sensors detect two different things. Temperature, and motion.

Depending on how you set up your Ecobee thermostat, they can be used in a few different ways.
1) The thermostat will always use average the temperature in the home to heat/cool accordingly
2) It will heat/cool the house across the average of OCCUPIED rooms, based on the motion sensors in the units
3) If the motion sensors detect zero movement (for I believe 2 hours), it will automatically set the thermostat to "away" to whatever cost-saving temperature you desire.
4) The sensors are setup to have zero input on the main thermostat, and are just there to reference temperatures in different rooms for your own personal knowledge.

How and what you have the sensors do will be completely based on your personal preference.

As for using the sensors to control lights, they don't directly work like that. That said, I wouldn't doubt if people have figured things out through IFTTT or similar.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5804 posts
831 upvotes
JDTheCanadian wrote: The sensors detect two different things. Temperature, and motion.
Don't think the sensor detects any motion. It only measures temperatures and relay it to the thermostat.

I have one, and it runs on 5v cell battery, you make it work by programming the thermostat to measure temperature either the sensor at certain time of day.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1974 posts
1697 upvotes
Toronto
tomtomtom wrote: Don't think the sensor detects any motion. It only measures temperatures and relay it to the thermostat.

I have one, and it runs on 5v cell battery, you make it work by programming the thermostat to measure temperature either the sensor at certain time of day.
It think it does - On the app it says if the room is occupied or not, that likely is done by a motion sensor.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Mar 23, 2013
65 posts
364 upvotes
Max distance main unit to sensor 45 feet. Disconnect message all the time its garbage
Apr 22, 2005
405 posts
171 upvotes
Maple
aZian_ wrote: Can we use this as motion sensors for other things? Ie
Ecobee sensors come up as motion sensors in my Smartthings app. So yes you can do that if you had a Smartthings hub and smart lights/lightswitches.
Mar 17, 2017
186 posts
73 upvotes
If anyone looking to split a pair, let me know. I just need 1... located in Mississauga
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10792 posts
2971 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
tomtomtom wrote: Don't think the sensor detects any motion. It only measures temperatures and relay it to the thermostat.

Definitely motion sensors. And the temp readings are real time.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10792 posts
2971 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
JDTheCanadian wrote: The sensors detect two different things. Temperature, and motion.

Depending on how you set up your Ecobee thermostat, they can be used in a few different ways.
1) The thermostat will always use average the temperature in the home to heat/cool accordingly
2) It will heat/cool the house across the average of OCCUPIED rooms, based on the motion sensors in the units
3) If the motion sensors detect zero movement (for I believe 2 hours), it will automatically set the thermostat to "away" to whatever cost-saving temperature you desire.
4) The sensors are setup to have zero input on the main thermostat, and are just there to reference temperatures in different rooms for your own personal knowledge.

How and what you have the sensors do will be completely based on your personal preference.

As for using the sensors to control lights, they don't directly work like that. That said, I wouldn't doubt if people have figured things out through IFTTT or similar.
At least with HomeKit they show up as thermometers and motion sensors so they can be used as triggers for any automation. Turn lights on/off, lock doors, trigger alarms, etc.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Aug 11, 2017
562 posts
351 upvotes
Wasn't this $40 something a few months before?
Dec 24, 2007
886 posts
545 upvotes
Kingston

Absolutely a motion sensor and runs on a 3v (cr2032) battery.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1625 posts
601 upvotes
Markham
aZian_ wrote: Can we use this as motion sensors for other things? Ie
just an FYI
Don't rely on these sensors to turn lights on... don't get me wrong, these sensors will pick up people pretty well. The issue for these are that there is a bit of delay (1-2 min) so relying on it to turn a light on isn't very useful imo.
otherwise these are pretty good and useful to tell if there is anybody still in the room~
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1455 posts
565 upvotes
Thanks OP! PM'd at Lowe's, but what a painful process that was in-store.... As always they spent a lot of time trying to weasel out of not PMing, plus no CSR seems to even know how to do it.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1625 posts
752 upvotes
Center of the univer…
hprockets wrote: Ecobee sensors come up as motion sensors in my Smartthings app. So yes you can do that if you had a Smartthings hub and smart lights/lightswitches.
Just to add to this, yes they do show up as motion sensors but they don't refresh as fast as a real motion sensor, can't remember how many seconds wait but it's significant that you can't rely on it to turn on any lights for you... But I do use them as part of the security system in SmartThings