Expired Hot Deals

[The Home Depot] EZVIZ DB1 Wired Smart 3MP Wi-Fi Video Doorbell with 180 Degree Vertical FOV $117

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2020 8:30 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19486 posts
7615 upvotes
Toronto
mlieber201 wrote: Is this the best smart-platform agnostic (amazon smart screen google smart screen) doorbell?
I think so. I liked this doorbell because it has an option to store video locally on a micro SD card. I am not interested in paying for a monthly service.

The one thing that I am not so happy with is the motion sensor on this unit. There's 3 settings that are not accurate to the description. If I use the 15 feet setting, traffic will trigger a notification. Setting it to the 9 feet setting will trigger notifications if someone walks along the sidewalk. The 5 feet setting is a bit insensitive. The mail delivery triggers an alarm about half the time.

The night vision could be a bit better also. The wyze cam has much better night vision.
Last edited by will888 on Oct 12th, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10045 posts
6098 upvotes
Does it support WPA3 (specifically, MFP)?

(Edit: corrected a typo)
Last edited by chatbox on Oct 13th, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19486 posts
7615 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: Does it support WPA3 (specifically, MPF)?
No it does not. The videos are encrypted.
Tangerine Bank
Aug 29, 2011
71 posts
17 upvotes
will888 wrote: I think so. I liked this doorbell because it has an option to store video locally on a micro SD card. I am not interested in paying for a monthly service.

The one thing that I am not so happy with is the motion sensor on this unit. There's 3 settings that are not accurate to the description. If I use the 15 feet setting, traffic will trigger a notification. Setting it to the 9 feet setting will trigger notifications if someone walks along the sidewalk. The 5 feet setting is a bit insensitive. The mail delivery triggers an alarm about half the time.

The night vision could be a bit better also. The wyze cam has much better night vision.
I may wait for their doorbell (what do you think)? I want to integrate a livefeed with action tiles eventually. Dont know if the video feed will be encrypted. Also support for wyze integration with google and amazon smart screens is now "planned" but nothing concrete.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1479 posts
397 upvotes
Oakville
projectman44 wrote: The only thing that bugs me about this - people knowing which button the push. Someone pushes the lens thinking its the ringers and bye bye doorbell.

Reviews on it have flagged this issue as well.
This DB cam comes with 3 different coloured faceplates (black, white, and brown). The coloured doorbell button disk is attached with a sticky glue onto a clear plastic piece underneath, so you can carefully remove the coloured disk off the faceplate using a guitar pick or edge of a credit card, and swap the coloured disks out.

If you want to use the black faceplate, then you would need to switch the doorbell button to white to distinguish it from the black camera lens and black IR sensor.
If you want to use the white faceplate, then you would need to switch the doorbell button to brown to distinguish it from the black camera lens and black IR sensor.
If you want to use the brown faceplate, then you would need to switch the doorbell button to white to distinguish it from the black camera lens and black IR sensor.

For me, I preferred the white button on black faceplate. By doing this, the actual button someone should press is now clearly the white disk on a black faceplate, while the black camera lens and black IR sensors blend in with the black faceplate.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10045 posts
6098 upvotes
will888 wrote: No it does not. The videos are encrypted.
You don't know what MFP is meant for then, I gathered.

(Hint: What good is a wifi connection if someone can disconnect you?)
[OP]
Feb 28, 2017
20 posts
41 upvotes
chatbox wrote: You don't know what MFP is meant for then, I gathered.

@will888 - you know so we learn while surfing for deals:

< Back to search results
Article
What is management frame protection and how does it help secure my wireless infrastructure
Information

Title What is management frame protection and how does it help secure my wireless infrastructure
Question
What is management frame protection and how does it help secure my wireless infrastructure?
Environment
Extreme Wireless
MFP (Management Frame Protection)
PMF (Protected Management Frames)
Security
802.11w-2009
WPA v2
Encryption
Answer
This feature protects stations against forged management frames spoofed from other devices that might otherwise disrupt a valid user session. MFP is negotiated between the client and AP. Because the management frames are encrypted it is required that wpa/v2 is enabled in wireless service configuration.

If the client and AP are capable of supporting MFP, RSN information elements (IE) are passed during the authentication phase, the image below shows a client M2 frame not supporting MFP:
Some wireless clients may not work with MFP enabled as the clients do not support or understand the additional information included in the MFP encryption. This is known as the Message Integrity Check ( MIC )
It is Best Practice to test all your allowed and known network client devices on MFP enabled WLAN's prior to going live on the network whenever possible. New deployments etc.

User-added image

Frames that are protected once negotiation is completed include:
Disassociation
Deauthentication
QoS Action

Additional notes
This feature is not well supported by all client types and may sometimes cause client connectivity issues: Some devices not connecting to WPA2-PSK on 5ghz radio when Management Frame Protection is enabled
See this article on how to configure MFP on an Extreme Wireless controller: How do I configure MFP (Management Frame Protection) on my wireless controller
If MFP is enabled on one WLAN, it will not effect client connectivity on another WLAN where it has been disabled.

source: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.c ... astructure

@chatbox MFP for the device... probably not. But then again for me at least I already have a hardwired camera watching the same area... just wanted a new toy to putz around with.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2017
20 posts
41 upvotes
8bitdaze wrote: I have this and love it but a there are some quirks.

The ezviz firmware doesn't support onvif but you can flash rca, hikvision or nelly's firmware. There's a giant thread on ipcamtalk that walks you they the pros and cons of each firmware.

Its been a while since but I'm pretty sure I flashed mine with the hikvision firmware so I could use onvif. I was able to set it up with blue iris afterwards but ended up using the ezviz app on my phone only since it does everything I need.

Make sure you check out that thread on iptalk so you can customize a few things as well as get the batch config app.

Detection wise, I have it set it to the 3ft radius and it works great. Anything larger and I get false positives.

I didn't need to change my transformer either and have the 16v standard one I think? Either way it was a 10 minute install and works great. I hope this help anyone unsure
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/new-rca-h ... 1/page-101 has a nice table depicting all the features available for each firmware.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1792 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
Thanks OP! I was successfully able to PM with a little nudging. Can't wait to give this a try -- been on the fence and was tempted by the Eufy Prime Day sale, but for the price, this is worth a try.
Aug 9, 2006
412 posts
34 upvotes
ndrew029 wrote: Thanks OP! I was successfully able to PM with a little nudging. Can't wait to give this a try -- been on the fence and was tempted by the Eufy Prime Day sale, but for the price, this is worth a try.
what was your trick to get them to PM?
May 23, 2008
808 posts
382 upvotes
Gtown ON
After my Ring died, I got a Hikvision one (looks the same as the one in the OP) and I am very happy with it. I managed to set it up so I get very few false alarms (Ring was doing it also). Image quality is better.
Last edited by RaidZero on Oct 13th, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1792 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
FightCanada wrote: what was your trick to get them to PM?
I just got a nice agent that offered to talk to a supervisor when I persisted. Good to see the Walmart option works -- I wasn't sure if they'd match the extra 10% since it's only available online.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19486 posts
7615 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: You don't know what MFP is meant for then, I gathered.

It is just a doorbell. If someone wanted to bypass whatever security it offers, they could just give the thing a whack and it will stop working. These days, a bigger deterrent can be achieved by putting up big a sign noting that occupant is undergoing covid-19 self isolation, lol.
Tangerine Bank