Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Generac generator 6875/5500w 599$ (Was 1099)

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2022 8:56 pm
Jan 29, 2020
526 posts
496 upvotes
SquadG wrote: I am planning to finish my trench in spring and connect the house to the shed (100A panel).

Ill build a small roof/box on the side and put the generator in there when needed and connected to shed with a male to male wire.
Also look at the Generlink product, plugs right into the meter base.

I was going to try to make a buried generlink cable (if I can figure out the connector type) and put a NG genset in the shed.

I was looking at an open frame inverter generator because I don't care about noise. From what I've seen a lot of inverter generators have some type of exhaust gas detection cutoff. I am wondering if it will shut off if it runs in my shed, which is 10x12', 15 feet high.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2617 posts
3359 upvotes
Fredericton
Cashforlife wrote: and put a NG genset in the shed.
Just build an enclosure for it, do not put it, and then run it, inside your shed. Somebody is going to die.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Cashforlife wrote: Also look at the Generlink product, plugs right into the meter base.
Ahead of the meter? :twisted: Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 29, 2020
526 posts
496 upvotes
Bordak wrote: Just build an enclosure for it, do not put it, and then run it, inside your shed. Somebody is going to die.
I have a big roll up door, as soon as it is opened all exhaust will vent. I can also just open the window. But maybe a 6" exhaust vent would be a better idea.
shed2016-1.jpg
Feb 11, 2014
61 posts
41 upvotes
Haliburton
Cashforlife wrote: Also look at the Generlink product, plugs right into the meter base.

I was going to try to make a buried generlink cable (if I can figure out the connector type) and put a NG genset in the shed.

I was looking at an open frame inverter generator because I don't care about noise. From what I've seen a lot of inverter generators have some type of exhaust gas detection cutoff. I am wondering if it will shut off if it runs in my shed, which is 10x12', 15 feet high.
The Generlink device is attached to the meter base after the meter. Installation has to be coordinated with local Hydro and installed by a licenced electrician. The device and cable plug in have proprietary coonectors, no can buy. Going thru the process now. Per the supplier (Generator SolutIons), there is currently a shortage of Generlinks and cables.
Jan 29, 2020
526 posts
496 upvotes
Haliman wrote: Installation has to be coordinated with local Hydro and installed by a licenced electrician.
I worked at Hydro One and what happens is that you call for an outage and the crew will show up. They will ask you what you are doing and they will just plug in the Generlink for you live in sixty seconds. They do this all day long. Don't try it yourself, you can have a very bad day.
The device and cable plug in have proprietary coonectors, no can buy.
Have you verified this claim by looking through the Digikey catalog or similar? I want to direct bury my cable in a trench with a 2x4" board on top of the cable at the bottom of the trench.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3616 upvotes
Toronto
Cashforlife wrote: I have a big roll up door ...
shed2016-1.jpg
I like that ramp & door!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
2409 posts
1355 upvotes
elfion wrote: I'm sure I am not the only person who has a natural gas BBQ. Plus I also have a patio heater... So you don't need to pay anyone to hook it up as long as you have any natural gas appliance outside. If there was a massive power outage, I would not want to be relying on local gas stations for fuel. I don't think there is a good chance of natural gas line going down, especially at the same time as electrical grid
You should size your pipes according with the btu that you are going to use and a hard connexion is better for this kind of set-up, but it's up to you if you want to take a chance just by saving some money on a legit installation and pretty sure the inssurance company will not cover you in case of a problem
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
2409 posts
1355 upvotes
Can confirm the price in Laval store and about 11 on the floor Stocktrak shows regular price
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1113 posts
824 upvotes
Moncton
They had a dozen or so of these at the Moncton NB store this afternoon for $598. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't already have one.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
3212 posts
3154 upvotes
pmdoit wrote: You should size your pipes according with the btu that you are going to use and a hard connexion is better for this kind of set-up, but it's up to you if you want to take a chance just by saving some money on a legit installation and pretty sure the inssurance company will not cover you in case of a problem
1) yes, obviously you need to make sure the line size is adequate. Most BBQs will use 1/2 and I believe I saw guys on youtube use 1/2 for 7kW generators but I am not 100% sure
2) why would a permanent connection be better?? This is an EMERGENCY generator, NOT something you will use everyday. And even if it was, there is pretty much zero risk in using quick connect fittings. The only downside is that they are expensive. There is a valve installed prior to the fitting obviously which is closed when the appliance is used. Also this while thing is outside so even if there was a leak nothing would happen. Even if you run around lighting matches. Unless you fail to connect it and the gas is just freely running out of the pipe at full speed and then someone lights it. Even then. Can't see any issue, it probably won't even light up, and certainly nothing would explode. That said, if you want a permanent connection - no probs. This is not something you need a licensed gas guy to do. Just put some gas grade plumbing grease on the pipe, use a wrench to screw on, only turn on the valve (installed by the licenced gas tech) when you are using the appliance. Again, you are OUTSIDE.
3) insurance company would not cover you in case what happens? The most risky part is if you mess up connecting the generator to your house grid somehow. And this has nothing to do with petroleum vs natural gas.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
2409 posts
1355 upvotes
elfion wrote: 1) yes, obviously you need to make sure the line size is adequate. Most BBQs will use 1/2 and I believe I saw guys on youtube use 1/2 for 7kW generators but I am not 100% sure
2) why would a permanent connection be better?? This is an EMERGENCY generator, NOT something you will use everyday. And even if it was, there is pretty much zero risk in using quick connect fittings. The only downside is that they are expensive. There is a valve installed prior to the fitting obviously which is closed when the appliance is used. Also this while thing is outside so even if there was a leak nothing would happen. Even if you run around lighting matches. Unless you fail to connect it and the gas is just freely running out of the pipe at full speed and then someone lights it. Even then. Can't see any issue, it probably won't even light up, and certainly nothing would explode. That said, if you want a permanent connection - no probs. This is not something you need a licensed gas guy to do. Just put some gas grade plumbing grease on the pipe, use a wrench to screw on, only turn on the valve (installed by the licenced gas tech) when you are using the appliance. Again, you are OUTSIDE.
3) insurance company would not cover you in case what happens? The most risky part is if you mess up connecting the generator to your house grid somehow. And this has nothing to do with petroleum vs natural gas.
First of all you need to size te pipe lenght and btu you use if not you will have a surprise when this thing start and you cnnot fire your stove fireplace or furnace-boiler
Second there is a plumbing code that you have to respect specialy with the gas
Third that's why we have so many domestic accidents because people are thinking that everything will be ok and nothing can get wrong
But like i said you are free to do whatever you want but be sure that as soon that you make a claim at you insurance company they will try to find anything to not pay
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
3212 posts
3154 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: You can buy kits to convert a gas gen to tri-fuel. Apart from voiding the warranty and using the gen out of specs, when using NG you will be losing 20% of its power compared to gasoline. 20% starts to be a substantial loss in power. If your gen isn't too big the bar-b-q NG line at the back of your house might provide enough NG. All my gens are eitehr propane or propane/gasoline. It is so much cleaner for the engine running on NG versus gasoline.
In this video the guy says he experienced no drop in power after converting to NG although he acknowledges that it can vary
Also, I confirmed that he is using a 1/2 line with an even smaller 3/8 hose. So yeah, I don't know who has a line smaller than 1/2 going to a BBQ. I would be surprised.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
3212 posts
3154 upvotes
pmdoit wrote: First of all you need to size te pipe lenght and btu you use if not you will have a surprise when this thing start and you cnnot fire your stove fireplace or furnace-boiler
Second there is a plumbing code that you have to respect specialy with the gas
Third that's why we have so many domestic accidents because people are thinking that everything will be ok and nothing can get wrong
But like i said you are free to do whatever you want but be sure that as soon that you make a claim at you insurance company they will try to find anything to not pay
I can have the BBQ line open and the gas running outside and the furnace would still be working. Yes, code, which is what exactly? What code requirements are you talking about specifically? What is this code requirement that is prohibiting you from hooking up a generator to your existing 1/2 line outside of the house?
What accidents? What are you talking about? Do you know what causes deadly natural gas related accidents? It's NOT this.
No, I don't think I would need to size the length. I doubt very much it would not be a tangible factor. Also even if it was, what is the worst that can happen? The gas won't flow fast enough and generator will not work properly which will be very obvious.
Last edited by elfion on Jan 17th, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
3212 posts
3154 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: Sure, that's why companies like Champion and Firman tell you that when you use propane instead of gasoline you lose about 10% and when you use NG instead of gasoline you lose about 20%. I'm glad to hear this guy is smarter than Champion and Firman.
10% or 20% of what. Power ? Efficiency? What does this have to be with smart, he is just making a factual observation.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
2409 posts
1355 upvotes
elfion wrote: I can have the BBQ line open and the gas running outside and the furnace would still be working. Yes, code, which is what exactly? What code requirements are you talking about specifically? What is this code requirement that is prohibiting you from hooking up a generator to your existing 1/2 line outside of the house?
What accidents? What are you talking about? Do you know what causes deadly natural gas related accidents? It's NOT this.
No, I don't think I would need to size the length. I doubt very much it would not be a tangible factor. Also even if it was, what is the worst that can happen? The gas won't flow fast enough and generator will not work properly which will be very obvious.
There is a code and i sugest you to find it and read it. You have to calculate and size the pipe diameter by the lenght of the run and the btu that you need, do you have an electrical panel and electrical wires inside the walls and plugs all over your house or you just install one plug in the garage run extensions cords to supply everithing else because hey you run a skilsaw there so it's enough for everithing else
anyhow i stop here an let you do whatever you see in a video on youtube and hope that you and your family will be safe
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1153 posts
832 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
TomLafinsky wrote: Sure, that's why companies like Champion and Firman tell you that when you use propane instead of gasoline you lose about 10% and when you use NG instead of gasoline you lose about 20%. I'm glad to hear this guy is smarter than Champion and Firman.
elfion wrote: 10% or 20% of what. Power ? Efficiency? What does this have to be with smart, he is just making a factual observation.
As pointed out by Tom, there is a substantial drop when running on Natural Gas when it's built into the capability of the generator. (As seen here https://www.costco.ca/firman-9400-w-tri ... 68053.html this is the generator I have), it seems unlikely that a random schmoe on the Youtubes is able to get better performance (that's not damaging to the machine) than the engineers from the company who builds them.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
3212 posts
3154 upvotes
pmdoit wrote: There is a code and i sugest you to find it and read it. You have to calculate and size the pipe diameter by the lenght of the run
length of run from where to where? from the gas outlet to the generator it's like 6ft. lol. there is literally nothing to calculate. again, a 1/2 inch gas pipe should be enough for a generator like this one or even more powerful one. now suppose for one moment that it is not. do you realize that the generator is not going to explode if the line is not delivering enough gas, right? like I said before, in the very unlikely scenario that the gas line is not adequate, the absolute worst thing that could happen is that it will not start or will not run at full power.
pmdoit wrote: do you have an electrical panel and electrical wires inside the walls and plugs all over your house or you just install one plug in the garage run extensions cords to supply everithing
yes, exactly, like I said before, the most complicated and the most risky part is properly hooking up the generator to the house electrical grid. and this has nothing to do with whether you run the generator on gasoline or natural gas so it is completely irrelevant to my point.
pmdoit wrote: anyhow i stop here an let you do whatever you see in a video on youtube and hope that you and your family will be safe
yes, I am very safe, and yes I do a lot of work around the house, and yes I watch a lot of youtube videos. all gas lines in my house are 100% legal and done by a licenced gas technician. hooking up a generator to an existing gas outlet with a hose is NOT something you need to call a gas technician for. and in practical terms, it is certainly not risky.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
3212 posts
3154 upvotes
hoody123 wrote: As pointed out by Tom, there is a substantial drop when running on Natural Gas when it's built into the capability of the generator. (As seen here https://www.costco.ca/firman-9400-w-tri ... 68053.html this is the generator I have), it seems unlikely that a random schmoe on the Youtubes is able to get better performance (that's not damaging to the machine) than the engineers from the company who builds them.
again, a drop of what? a drop in power or a drop in efficiency? that particular generator he is using with that particular conversion kit is able to output a very healthy level of power close to its initial max output. that's all. again, this is just a fact which is documented and illustrated in the video. if I had to guess, maybe that generator's engine has some extra capacity that is not typically used when it is operating on gasoline. as for efficiency, natural gas is much more efficient in terms of dollars per watt*hour than gasoline.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1153 posts
832 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
elfion wrote: again, a drop of what? a drop in power or a drop in efficiency? that particular generator he is using with that particular conversion kit is able to output a very healthy level of power close to its initial max output. that's all. again, this is just a fact which is documented and illustrated in the video. if I had to guess, maybe that generator's engine has some extra capacity that is not typically used when it is operating on gasoline. as for efficiency, natural gas is much more efficient in terms of dollars per watt*hour than gasoline.
I'm unsure if you're intentionally being obtuse - clearly a drop in output. Check the generator ratings for the different fuels on the quoted generator.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)