Glacier Bay Premier All-in-One 6LPF Round-Front Toilet $118.00
Enjoying your life.
20 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2017
1058 posts
2681 upvotes
i prefer a square front toilet
My phone plan is $400 a month for 500 MB of data.
My internet plan is $199.99 for capped internet and slow speeds.
My credit cards are the ones with annual fees but terrible rewards.
Did I RFD correctly?
Dec 24, 2007
872 posts
1416 upvotes
is there a beginners guide to buying a toilet? one of the toilets in my house is 40 years old and wastes tons of water. i worry about some of these new high efficiency ones because they get backed up or dont flush property.

any advice?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2816 posts
2153 upvotes
Mississauga
TrueToy wrote: is there a beginners guide to buying a toilet? one of the toilets in my house is 40 years old and wastes tons of water. i worry about some of these new high efficiency ones because they get backed up or dont flush property.

any advice?
I'm no pro, but you can get a dual flush which has a low and high water consumption flush. The high side helps with bigger flushes if you're worried, but tbh, I've never had an issue just using the low flush.

It mostly then comes down to,

Round vs Elongated - we prefer elongated for men sitting and their junk doesn't touch the front.

Height of the toilet some are taller and shorter based on preferences or restrictions (some condos has a countertop above their toilet so they need to limit a height.

Insulated is pretty important if you don't want your toilet to sweat in Canada's changing climate... I rmbr owning a non insulated and it was brutal, but again you can choose either.

One or two piece toilets - this is pretty aesthetic as well. I've installed both at home ( as a diyer, not a pro) and I found the two piece to be easier in tighter locations and the one piece is great in open, larger rooms. Both can look great, but one piece often look more 'modern' with squared edges and stuff

'self clean features. People swear by the American standard cadet (as do I) as it cleans the bowl (water covers all edges when you flush.

Last the 'hardware' which is the silver/chrome handle or flush. Stupid... But any way to upcharge is profit, right? Haha

Second last, but my favorite... The slow close... I live in a house where I need to put the seat down after use... And this luxury feature is amazing... But if can be added later by changing the seat.. But why spend more later. Slow close is a must in my books

This is imo... Not a pro... Or a contractor... But hopefully this helps
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Sep 1, 2018
124 posts
105 upvotes
TrueToy wrote: is there a beginners guide to buying a toilet? one of the toilets in my house is 40 years old and wastes tons of water. i worry about some of these new high efficiency ones because they get backed up or dont flush property.

any advice?
At my previous appartment we had a 30 years old toilet that used a lot a water and wasn't efficient at all. I was a master at clogging this thing and almost became a running joke with my roomate. Then I bought a house in 2015 and bought a Kohler Wellworth for 160$ at Home Depot.
From everything there is in my house - and I mean EVERYTHING including TV, bikes, and such - my toilet is the biggest highlight.

You can smoke a J and eat 10 bowls of cereals like a pig then go to the bathroom the next morning = no problem. It will flush, guaranteed.
Dec 24, 2007
872 posts
1416 upvotes
thanks @vinnie1990 and @LaurentD88313

my water source is a well, so in the summer the water is freezing compared to the ambient air temp. i think i'll look for an insulated one.
Sep 11, 2013
280 posts
318 upvotes
Vaughan
I bought this months ago for this price
Nov 20, 2017
960 posts
732 upvotes
where does 6.0 LPF fit on the spectrum of high efficiency and low efficiency?

I'd consider this if it was a high capacity relative to the high efficiency models
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3341 posts
2965 upvotes
Victoria

any advice?
Bought a 50 year old house a couple of years ago. Replaced all 3 toilets with 2 American Standard ($270) and 1 Costco two-piece dual-flush ($100 at the time…inflation). We had issues with one of the American Standards almost immediately - wouldn’t flush fully, had to use a plunger, even got a plumber in to fix the problem. Within a few days the problems persisted. Happened to have a spare Costco toilet on hand for a future reno and replaced the American Standard with it. Works like a charm.

I know that’s just one anecdote but I did a ton of research before buying new toilets and am still actually shocked that we prefer the Costco model.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4114 posts
9328 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
Bowl Height (in) 15
Dec 16, 2009
544 posts
565 upvotes
vinnie1990 wrote: I'm no pro, but you can get a dual flush which has a low and high water consumption flush. The high side helps with bigger flushes if you're worried, but tbh, I've never had an issue just using the low flush.
But CAN YOU REALLY? I got a dual flush for my upstairs, then my downstairs. After noticing absolutely NO reduction in my water bill, I tested it by flushing 10 times on each "Level", (Regular flow, and "low" flow). You know what? Absolutely no difference with either toilet.

They work fine, but they don't do the job as advertised. Standard HD purchases, nothing fancy. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/delta- ... 1001488838 (I believe)
Oct 30, 2019
618 posts
1381 upvotes
Fraser Valley

any advice?
dont buy the water saving ones. get the one flush does it all.
Dec 24, 2007
872 posts
1416 upvotes
bg8055 wrote: dont buy the water saving ones. get the one flush does it all.
my entire motivation for upgrading my toilet is to protect my well and septic system.

if i had municipal water and sewage i'd keep what i have
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2372 posts
1324 upvotes
scottmg wrote: i prefer a square front toilet
You joke but I was staying at a hotel in China and it had a square bowl toilet. Definitely limits the RFD browsing time to a minimum before it cuts off all circulation to your legs.

EDIT: Here is the toilet I used from Z Hotel in Shenzhen.
Images
  • 0204a120008xb0697C4AF_Z_1080_808_R5_D_jpg.jpg
Last edited by Goonish on Aug 17th, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 30, 2020
274 posts
305 upvotes
Vancouver
elkabong wrote: But CAN YOU REALLY? I got a dual flush for my upstairs, then my downstairs. After noticing absolutely NO reduction in my water bill, I tested it by flushing 10 times on each "Level", (Regular flow, and "low" flow). You know what? Absolutely no difference with either toilet.

They work fine, but they don't do the job as advertised. Standard HD purchases, nothing fancy. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/delta- ... 1001488838 (I believe)
serious question but should anyone expect a big difference in their water bill due to using the lower water volume flush on dual flush toilet?
the difference between the smaller flush and the bigger flush is only about 1L, and if you take a 10 minute shower that's 100L of water.
if you're using the toilet like 4x a day then 4L saved is really nothing compared to the one shower you take every day.
If you can cut your shower time to 5 mins and use a high efficiency shower head then maybe there will be a dip in your water bill.
Sep 8, 2010
662 posts
1717 upvotes
Windsor
So, how does this toilet perform?
Dec 13, 2019
993 posts
931 upvotes

any advice?
We also replaced our 40 year old toilets a little over a year ago before toilet prices became insane. We've been sitting (literally) on the problem and on the fence for a long time, hemming and hawing since the toilets still work perfectly, but is a huge waste of potable water with each flush where we're flushing money down the toilet -- and our water usage rates aren't getting cheaper either. I've done some research on which make and models are the best and most durable and settled on either American Standard or Kohler being the leading brands. The porcelain generally has a 10 year or lifetime warranty and at least 5 years for parts. My mom really likes the insulated or double walled tanks of American Standard since they won't sweat during the winter. The insulated tanks are nothing but a layer of styrofoam glued to the tank walls.

We ultimately decided on the Kohler Highline Curve from: Lowes

It was on sale for $179 and we jumped on it. You can't find those prices anymore. The best you can do is $259 on sale.

Anyways, one of the toilet valves failed when it only fills the tank partway or not at all. Called up Kohler since it's still under warranty, but they didn't have any in stock and the wait is another month at least before they may have stock. So I suggested if I buy from another retailer, would they be able to reimburse me? That was ultimately what I did: bought a replacement valve from Home Depot and sent the receipt to Kohler for reimbursement and they mailed me a cheque.

So far the toilets work really good. We had the same concerns about clogging and backups. So far so good (knock on wood). Bigger loads are a bit of a challenge, where you may have to flush twice, but generally they flush clean. You'll need to hold down the flush to completely empty the tank for #2 loads to make sure the toilet uses all its power to flush away the waste. Make sure you look for ones with at least 1000g MAP flush rating. Anything less than that, and you may run the risk of clogging. Since it's a smaller tank, the filling time is faster, but these newer toilets use a combination of: design; gravity; air and water force to push away the waste. Thus, my toilet is a lot bigger on the bottom in comparison to my old toilet which is "top heavy" with its humongous 12 litre tank. I found it would be almost be against the wall when installed with a bit of room left between the back of the toilet base and the wall.

Also avoid the dual flush toilets. Some staff at Home Depot and Lowes said that dual flush is good in a commercial setting, but at home, it's more of a good idea than in practice because it's a pain and challenge trying to find replacement parts for the dual flush when it breaks. So when the dual flush breaks, you'll need to buy a new toilet.

Good luck! Hope my experience will give you some help and idea about the upgrade.
Last edited by LesDeals on Aug 17th, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why settle for full retail price when you can wait and get it at a lower price for better value (even better if there's a bundled freebies deal)? 😉